Which Remote Start

HuffDaddy

Okay it is getting chilly and I need a remote start but I am curious which gives the best bang for the buck:

I care that it functions properly and gets decent range, beyond that I need nothing but a deal. No alarm, no keyless entry etc.

My buddy has installed two different brands (kind you buy at wal-mart Target etc.) I think one was a Bulldog brand and he had troubles with both.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah one more thing, if you have a suggestion please let me know where I can get one for a decent price.

If you want to have good range, then your absolute best bet is a 2 way, FM unit. With that said, if you can see your car from where you will normally be using this remote, then a long range one way unit would do. As for brands, DEI (Viper, python etc...) and Staub (Compustar, Nustart etc...) are generally pretty good, and have pretty decent warranties. I have had compustar and never had any complaints and always have gotten close to the advertised range.

My one way starter in my Lumina has crazy range on it - very impressed - better range then one lower model two way units. My favorite part is the key fob is very small but it still has better range. It's an old UNGO RK1 (made by DEI), never had an issue with it.

STAY AWAY FROM BULL DOG!

I had 2 of them, BOTH went up in smoke.

The first one lasted 4 months, then it started to start my car randomly.

Next thing I know, I'm driving and it TRIES STARTING MY CAR!

I didn't hear it until I came to a stop light, and saw the smoke coming from my foot well.

*Reaches under foot well and rips out*

Then I installed another.

it started to go crazy (Try starting engine, while its running.) the 3rd day it was in.

Luckily it did this while I was still in my driveway.

SO, I disconnected the remote start fuses and relays, and decided to use it as a key less entry only.

Then while on the on ramp, it decides to go CRAZY with my door locks!??!

The first remote starter messed up my starter, and now it squeals and chirps whenever I first start the car...

Don't shy away from the remote starter idea, just STAY AWAY FROM BULL DOG!

I will be getting another remote starter soon. (non bull dog).

Thanks for the advice, after hearing my buddy's horror story about the ones he installed i was so desperate for one I almost chalked his issues up to instillation error and bought one anyways (they are the only ones I can find for a decent price) but after hearing yours I will stay away from bulldog. Now I just need to find a good standalone unit for a decent price ( I have no p/w or p/l).