A few small upgrades to my red TGP.

mfewtrail

91-93 style coolant bottle swap. The 100+ greasy fingerprints keep the car 10*F cooler. :mrgreen: This junkyard bottle was used for mock up purposes. I'm going get a new GM coolant bottle soon if they still have them available. I need to drill and tap a hole in the strut tower to completely finish the installation. The engine is really dirty as I haven't really cleaned under the hood much since I've had it...yes, I know I'm slacking! I plan on cleaning it soon.

rdtgp.jpg

Close-up of the CAI. It was modeled after "flybynite's"(Turbo v-sick on here) intake he made. Thanks for the idea Adam!. I still need to work on it a little more to get it where I want it and do a few other things to it. The filter position now is pretty low to the ground(maybe a tad lower than the valence). I'm going to either mod the trans lines and mount it higher up where it is now or I'll add a few inches of tubing and tuck it up in the open area just behind the valence. I pieced this together from stuff I already had. The 2nd half of it is from the old intake that came on my black car when it was purchased. The first 90* bend is press bent and will be replaced with a 90* mandrel bend as soon as it arrives. I plan on welding a bracket to the lower half of it and also adding a nipple to the top half so that I can attach a hose from the front valve cover to the intake(so it will be routed as it was from the factory). I'm adding a bracket to the lower portion so that I can remove the upper half of the intake and put my spare K&N straight on the turbo if it's raining hard. Some roads around here have standing water up to a foot high when it's raining pretty hard. :eek: I'll try to get a picture of the underside soon to show how low it is now. Eventually, I would like to do some testing to see if it's actually worth having vs. a K&N straight on the turbo. I'm not sure exactly how I will "test" it though.

rdtgp1.jpg

I also did the AC Fin mod, but didn't take any pictures of it.

Next up = 1.6 ratio rockers from a 94-95 3100. I've had them sitting around waiting to be installed for several months now. :redface: After that, I want to get a different chip and an electric exhaust cutout for it.

EDIT: Posted the same picture twice. :lol:

I would say if you already did the ac fin mod then you could much easier get away without the CAI. Jeff M tested for cfm and the most came from a K/N right off the turbo.

when you get up past 35 mph, theres going to be tons of cool air blowing through the IC right on to the K/N.

I didn't install the intake for more power really. I wanted to try it out and see if the car would be more consistant on back-to-back type runs or after normal driving during the hotter months. During the summer here, underhood is insanely hot even when driving "normally." After romping on it in the summer, it becomes an inferno underhood. The pipe + filter flows plenty. Adam uses a similar intake on TGP. See his post below. My car is making nowhere near the power his is. :wink:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=67807.msg863512#msg863512

Looks good Matt. Do you plan to get rid of the breather filter and run it directly to your CAI. All turbo cars have blow by, especially higher mileage cars. I have found you make more power by evacuating as much crank case pressure as possible.

when I had my CAI on it did keep the temps under the hood down but I did 5 or 6 other things to ensure the evacuation of radiating heat. 90 degree and higher days were no sweat after that. didnt matter how hot it was outside, the upper charge pipe would stay cold. I agree though the best way to battle heat soak is to never let heat in the pipe to begin with. it was great having a place to attach the catch can to as well.

my high mileage black car has tons of blow by, but the red car,there's no trace of it. :high5:

Looks good Matt. Do you plan to get rid of the breather filter and run it directly to your CAI. All turbo cars have blow by, especially higher mileage cars. I have found you make more power by evacuating as much crank case pressure as possible.

Yep, I'm adding a nipple to the upper portion of the pipe as soon as I have access to a welder(this weekend).

I'm still up in the air if I want to do this or not. I like the clean look of the black plastic panel on that side (and not the humongous overflow tank), however the stock overflow tank has to be in the worst possible location ever. Maybe I'll just re-locate the stock one to another place?

I'm still up in the air if I want to do this or not. I like the clean look of the black plastic panel on that side (and not the humongous overflow tank), however the stock overflow tank has to be in the worst possible location ever. Maybe I'll just re-locate the stock one to another place?

The black beauty panel on my car was missing when I got it. The large coolant bottle doesn't look so bad when it's new/clean. GOT2B GM has a new bottle on his and should have some engine bay pics posted here somewhere. I also removed the stock coolant recovery tank to try to free up some more room for the intake. Removing it isn't really necessary unless you're planning on running tubing larger than 2.5'', then you'll have other issues(ac lines) to deal with.

The black beauty panel on my car was missing when I got it. The large coolant bottle doesn't look so bad when it's new/clean. GOT2B GM has a new bottle on his and should have some engine bay pics posted here somewhere. I also removed the stock coolant recovery tank to try to free up some more room for the intake. Removing it isn't really necessary unless you're planning on running tubing larger than 2.5'', then you'll have other issues(ac lines) to deal with.

Yeah, I've seen his in person, but I really just hate the big overflow tanks, really takes away from the engine bay for me, I guess.

That, and I would like more room in around the IC than having to deal with that stupid overflow tank location. Probably this winter while it's in storage, I will find a way to relocate it.

Yeah, I've seen his in person, but I really just hate the big overflow tanks, really takes away from the engine bay for me, I guess.

On the contrary, to me they fill in an area that was previously just a big gaping hole (right over the ECM).