Coolant Elbow Leak. Formerly L36 to L67 Conversion Questions

Timm

I picked up a LOT of supercharger stuff for EXTREMELY cheap. Listed as follows.

Eaton GenV(5) m90 supercharger

Alternator

Lower Intake Manifold

and

L67 Harmonic balancer

and the best part....

ALL FOR $80!

but it gets even better....

ALL BRAND NEW!

---------------------------ENGINE-UPDATE------------------------------------

My 3800 sII is plagued with the dreaded coolant leak. :sad:

We just replaced the upper intake gaskets (Under the plenum, and on the TB)

We kept the same plenum and I'm 70% sure that's where the leak is.

Because it's leaking again......badly.

The coolant level in my in the overflow tank drops about 3/4 of an inch each day.

I only drive maybe 20 miles per day (Non aggressively).

And now my gas mileage is CRAZY LOW!

I want this fixed before winter when it gets too cold to work on my car.

------------------------------IDEA-UPDATE--------------------------------

Maybe put my new supercharger on the car?

Not have to buy a new upper plenum?

-----------------------------QUESTIONS-----------------------------------

1) Will this require removal of the engine from the car?

I think it might, just to get the harmonic balancer off.

2) Is the lower intake manifold the same in a 3800 sII and a 3800 s III? (both supercharged.)

3) How much re-wiring will have to be done?

4) Is a new PCM needed?

5) Will a L67 fuel rail fit on the Eaton m90 GenV?

6) Will my TB bolt into the SC with no problems?

7) Are there any cheap (but functional) bolt sets for the SC and LIM?

8) Will this even fit in my car? (Dimension wise)

9) How much (estimate) would it cost to get the aluminium plenum from a series III, and the throttle body adaptor?

10) Should I just get another plastic series II plenum?

Well first off let me just say that you're a bastard for getting the Gen V and all of that other stuff for less than $100. Is the LIM that you got the Gen V LIM? If it's not, then you'll have to get it machined to fit the Gen V.

1. Taking the engine out is not needed.

2. the SIII supercharged LIM will fit on a SII

3. Ummmm not quite sure

4. Yes, or just send it to ZZP or someone to get it reflashed/tuned for your setup

5. Yes it should!

6. I'm prettttyyyy sure that it won't.

7. Not sure what you mean by functional bolt sets?

8. Sure will!!!!

9. You won't need a SII plenum, because the supercharger replaces the plenum. The SIII TB won't work with your car, because the TB is drive by wire, and not what we have.

10. See above.

I may have missed a few things, and others will chime in. I WAS going to link you to a ClubGP thread dedicated to doing the Gen V swap. However it's not there anymore :(

7) I need the bolts to get the SC bolted to the LIM, and to bolt the LIM to the block and heads.

9/10) If I were to go the other route to get my coolant leak fixed, I'd need a new plenum. Just curious if I should get away from the supercharger idea, and just fix the plenum's coolant leak.

7) I need the bolts to get the SC bolted to the LIM, and to bolt the LIM to the block and heads.

9/10) If I were to go the other route to get my coolant leak fixed, I'd need a new plenum. Just curious if I should get away from the supercharger idea, and just fix the plenum's coolant leak.

IIRC that's like...$90 for the plenum fix, and another $40 or so for the LIM gaskets (might as well do those too while you have the plenum off). While you're at it, do the injector o-rings, thermostat gasket and seal, and so forth. Let me know if you're interested, as I just recently did this whole thing on a 96 Regal identical to yours.

My first response would be say fuck all that n grab an N/A plenum out of a yard and just fix the problem. but since you got that entire setup for 100 bucks....

I recommend trading your giant headache for a smaller one. sell all the series 3 stuff and go get yourself the series 2 replacements

My first response would be say fuck all that n grab an N/A plenum out of a yard and just fix the problem. but since you got that entire setup for 100 bucks....

I recommend trading your giant headache for a smaller one. sell all the series 3 stuff and go get yourself the series 2 replacements

Getting a new plenum from a yard will not fix anything, unless you get one off of late model 2nd Gen w-body with an L36, and even then you're putting in a used part that you can replace brand new for $90.

-----------------------------QUESTIONS-----------------------------------

1) Will this require removal of the engine from the car? no

2) Is the lower intake manifold the same in a 3800 sII and a 3800 s III? (both supercharged.)

no, however you will want a LIM that has been modified, because the fuels injectors enter at different locations between the l36/l67.

3) How much re-wiring will have to be done?

not much. there is a harness adapter set available.

4) Is a new PCM needed? absolutely

5) Will a L67 fuel rail fit on the Eaton m90 GenV? no, see #2. need ZZP fuel logs.

6) Will my TB bolt into the SC with no problems? no, need an adapter

7) Are there any cheap (but functional) bolt sets for the SC and LIM? no idea

8) Will this even fit in my car? (Dimension wise) yes

i dont know if ZZP or anyone else will tune a 96 pcm. i also dont know if they clearance GenV blowers for the conversion yet either. clearancing will be needed for the fuel logs that are needed.

read this also.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=382&catid=109

Getting a new plenum from a yard will not fix anything, unless you get one off of late model 2nd Gen w-body with an L36, and even then you're putting in a used part that you can replace brand new for $90.

I didnt read his original issue closely enough. after which, idk why it'd be the plenum in the first place, but he needs to make sure the leak/consumption isnt something worse before any generation of blower goes on there

I didnt read his original issue closely enough. after which, idk why it'd be the plenum in the first place, but he needs to make sure the leak/consumption isnt something worse before any generation of blower goes on there

Well I figured the "dreaded coolant leak" is caused by the known issue with early model L36 regals where the EGR stovepipe runs too close to the coolant passages near the throttle body and causes the plastic to become brittle and crack, causing leaks. The new plenum in the Dorman kit on rockauto includes a revised stovepipe that completely solves the issue.

I just did this job on my girlfriend's sister's car. It can be done in 8 hours if you've never done it or anything like it before and have a Hayne's/Chilton's manual.

I've removed my intake plenum maybe 3months ago. Yes the gasket was melted. I replaced the gasket and nothing else. I should have also bought the plenum...

I can't find any L36 plenum's on eBay...

Anyone know where to get one for cheap (That is still good quality?)

I think this link http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=382&catid=109 just killed my dream... :-(

I've removed my intake plenum maybe 3months ago. Yes the gasket was melted.  I replaced the gasket and nothing else.  I should have also bought the plenum...

I can't find any L36 plenum's on eBay...

Anyone know where to get one for cheap (That is still good quality?)

I think this link http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=382&catid=109 just killed my dream... :-(

Is $90 too much for a complete plenum/gasket set with a revised stovepipe?

Links plz? (im feelin kinda lazy at the moment...)

Go to www.rockauto.com

Click the "part number search" tab

Search for: 615180

"DORMAN Part # 615180 More Info {Original Equipment Solutions}

Includes All Gaskets and Seals as Required; Upper"

That's the kit that Rob use's on his 3800 Intrigue's, and it is truly a nice kit!

Also the kit I used. GREAT kit. :biggrin:

I would definitely recommend it. The gaskets even come already on the intake, so you literally just pop it on and tighten the bolts (after you change the stovepipe and a few other accessories).

Alright, I think I'll just go with the new plenum, for cost effectiveness (and ease, since this is my Daily D.).  I've seen used GenV SC's on ebay for the lower $800's. But I'll be happy with enough to get my ABS fixed, New Tires (the ones xtremerevolution has), and a Plenum.  Also would be great to have some extra cash to finish my carputer...  Man, there's a lot of stuff I could use some extra cash for!  :lol:  I'm not expecting to get $800 for it, but any extra cash would help!

Also, that's cool how they ran it all on the same belt.

382_2.jpg

I think you made a great choice selling the stuff off. It's not really worth the effort that it would take to supercharge your car, considering it wouldn't be long before the transmission grenades itself, plus you're not taking into account the tuning of it all. Not many people will sell of an off-the-shelf PCM to accommodate what you're doing. You need to add an extra extension to your harness for the MAP as well.

The L36 block is identical and strong enough to put up with boost. The difference in the L67/L36 are the connecting rods and pistons (obviously; that's where you're getting your compression from). The cam profile is much different. You would also definitely need L67 heads, LIM, valve covers and fuel rail. A good fuel pump would be in order as well (L67/L32 cars are equipped with a higher-flow fuel pump). You'd also need the harmonic balancer. I'm probably forgetting something else, but I'll post back if I remember.