5speed grand prix

chasin_shadowz

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been on, but I have a new question. I found a 5 speed grand prix for cheap. It's a LE 2-door. One side has a huge dent going along the driver's side door and quarter right behind the door. I'm looking at it for a parts car fro my TGP. The things I see useful are all the components for a 5speed setup,steering column(my turn signal is getting wierd,I have to hold it down and slightly towards me to get it to blink) and the windshield as mine is cracked. Do you think that I should buy it? I'm also debating using that for a winter beater or finding a 4x4 s-10 since I don't seem to have anything to pull my snowmobiles around.

I see one problem being that the 5-speed car doesn't have the "tron" compass deal. The consoles appear to be one piece from the ash tray forward to the dash. Would that mean that I'd have to cut my insert? Also how hard is it to swap the pedals? Would it be a unbolt/bolt in deal or is it a welding job. I've read that I'd need a different chip and need to do cap off the vac line going to the vacuum modulator on the trans.

It has a mint red cloth interior except for the headliner. I considered swapping it in to mine, but I like my leather with all of the lumbar controls,etc.

It may take a while before I get a chance to do a swap, I have enough projects going, but I wanted to get your opinion on whether it's worth picking up.

Thanks,

Mike

Pictures, year, motor, and miles all affect this decision. 5 speed GP's are kind of rare especially with the 3.4 so using it as a winter beater is not cool. The center console comes out easily with probably 8 bolts, I took mine out (both the 5 speed and auto) and they fit the same so swapping that is easy. What are they asking for the car?

Depending on the price, it might be worth it to buy it and sell off the 5 speed parts here. Just make sure you're thorough before getting rid of it though.

As far a swap goes:

-pedals bolt right in on '88-'93 cars, though most will recommend just swapping the clutch pedal and cutting your stock brake pedal in half (swapping the brake pedal is supposed to be the biggest pain in the ass ever).

-Finding a console top for a 5 speed w/ compass is a lost cause. they're out there, but there are few and far between. I knocked the center section out of mine (shift indicator section) and glued in the center section from a base 5 speed console I got on ebay. it looks pretty good, but don't use hot glue...

-finding ABS axles will be a problem, you'll likely have to take the 5 speed axles and either swap your existing hub-end assemblies or try and just remove the exicter rings and adding them to the 5 speed axles (they're heat pressed on).

-with a turbo car, you will need someone to burn you a custom chip

-good handful of wiring changes, I have a writeup on what needs to be done (helps if you pick up a factory service manual for '89 or '90 GP though)

-need a custom turbo support bracket welded, sits on top of the tranny (auto bracket will not come close to working).

-need to carefully dremel a hole in your firewall between the brake MC and the driver's side strut tower, probably not possible without removing the brake MC.

-need to cut a hole in the firewall/floor area for shift cables to pass through - easy with a hole saw, the center of where you need to drill is already marked with a dimple in the sheet metal.

that's a quick rundown on it.

Nooooo interior swap! Red cloth is FTL!

-pedals bolt right in on '88-'93 cars, though most will recommend just swapping the clutch pedal and cutting your stock brake pedal in half (swapping the brake pedal is supposed to be the biggest pain in the ass ever).

Someone started a 5 speed swap on my TGP literally the ONLY thing they did was swap in the clutch pedal and smaller brake pedal :lol:

I had to juggle around some space in the driveway, but went to go make an offer on it Tuesday and it was gone. Guess I snooze, I loose. Thanks for the info thought. I 'll still have to keep my eyes peeled.

On the plus side, I was able to get the PM-III that I've been needing so badly. I got it off the parts TGP in Franklin,WI that was mentioned on here a few months back. It's been hacked apart pretty bad, hard to tell it from any of the other regular W-bodies. I took the MC off right at the firewall. The info from Kazmotorsports was awesome. I had it off in about half an hour.

When the master leaks is it nomally right at the firewall(ie I'll have to loosen the 4bolts right at the firewall) or between the MC and alumiunum "spacer"(and just loosen the two bolts right at the MC)? Looks like it's proably going to be a weekend priject with the way my days have been going.

These forums are great. Thanks again for all your input. I'm sure in a few years, I'll be able to chime in and help on other "newbies"