overboosting??

Marcus18

first off sorry about the length of the post.

I'm getting overboost I think. when I come to a dead stop and floor it I take off then the boost hits just below 15 on the stock boost gauge(I know it's not right) then power starts to fluctuate like it's loosing boost then gaining back and fourth really fast. but the gauge never changes.

it only happends at the end of first and all through second. I can let off the gas and I have power again but if I give it pedal again it starts again.

this happends even lower in the throttle when my brother is in the car.

I have no vacume leaks that I know of. my cruise works and so does my a/c.

also it started when I changed my intake setup. before I had my cone filter attached to pvc pipe then a peice of hose attached it to the turbo.(the hose was about 4" and was from the stock turbo to airbox hose)

it worked fine then but the cone was between the radiator and manifolds (making it a hot air intake)

now my new intake has a 4" long piece attached to the cone and the hose is attached to a 3" long pvc pip and thats attached to a 5" long piece hose(all the hoses are pieces of the stock hose)that attaches to the turbo. now the cone is in front of the battery behind the headlights.

now I have alot more power all the time(when it's not acting up)

I thought it was collapsing the hose but I put metal rings in the hose so it can't collapse.

anythoughts on the problem?

marcus

You have created a better 'air' flowing system and you are getting too much flow causing your overboosting... are you JeffM chipped???????? :shock: :read: :cheers: :shock: :read: :cheers: :shock: :read: :cheers:

Marcus...

Have you checked for any codes on the car? Having better airflow will assist in the car breathing better...but the ECM should be able to control the amount of boost it is producing. I would check the "vacuum" lines from the Turbo to the WasteGate solenoid then back to the turbo wastegate diaphram. Most likely a hose is hooked up wrong or not completing the wastegate actuator circuit in some way... 8)

I thought overboosting would completely open the wastegate. I know in my TGP, it would get up to about 9psi (where the overboost protection should be) and it would drop down to like -8psi or so, and I assumed that was overboosting. If that is the case, this does not sound like that is what is happening. It actually kind of sounds like some sort of rev limiter or something.

If in my case, that was not overboosting, could someone please explain to me what was happening?

I thought overboosting would completely open the wastegate.

When the ECM senses an "Over-Boost" situation it will cut Fuel to the injectors thus causing the motor to lose power and no power = no boost. It will kill the fuel to the motor for 3 seconds until it sees no boost (not necessarily vacuum) at the MAP sensor. The ECM will then reset and resume normal fuel to the injectors, then it will throw a SES (Service Engine Soon) light for approximately 10 seconds. Then the light will turn off as long as the "overboost" situation does not reoccur.

I forget what the rev limiter is set at when the car is not in Park/Neutral, but when in Park or Neutral it will rev limit at 3000-3500 RPM depending on what MEMCal Code set is installed.

Marcus' problem does sound like an overboost, but not just because he has allowed better airflow to the intake of the turbo...there has to be an issue in the WasteGate actuator circuit. Once he troubleshoots this he should run just fine. With better airflow the turbo will spool faster not automatically just over-boost...that is just plain stupid to say. 8)

I do have the topgun 160 chip(I love it!!!)

no ses lights have come on. and when it acts up the boost doesn't change.

my dad thinks it might be a coil going bad makeing it weak at high rpms.

it's kind of like a mis. I have rapid fires spark plugs in it now. I took the line off the wastegate actuator and drove it. but I didn't see much difference. except hard shifting due to solid boost. I thought since the chip needs alot of flow maybe I restricted it and it was straining to suck air at high boost and choping the air creating heat and knock an ping. so I put octane booster in, it but no change. I have to go to school now I'll write again later.

heres 3 pics of the new intake:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=282859&page=3

marcus

Things that have made mine miss in the past was 1. bad gas and 2. spark wires cross fireing. It doesn't sound like your overboosting because you will loose virtually all power for about 3 secs. Since it does it more when your brother is in the car might indicate that with more load the engine torques over more and might be causing the wires to touch & cross fire.

I would get rid of those rapidfires, unless they are the old version #8s!! The new version #8s are platinum plugs and they are no good for a turbo engine. I would put in a set of regular AC Delcos, as I have them in both of my TGPs and they work good. I think the number is R42LTS or something like that :D

Things that have made mine miss in the past was 1. bad gas and 2. spark wires cross fireing. It doesn't sound like your overboosting because you will loose virtually all power for about 3 secs. Since it does it more when your brother is in the car might indicate that with more load the engine torques over more and might be causing the wires to touch & cross fire.

I agree with Mike. I re-read your initial post and yes I would track down a bad wire or those plugs... 8)

well I went and got new plugs I'll get new wires if I find a bad one(It's too hot right now). now another cause I overlooked was that I took the battery out of the car for about 30 minutes. when I hooked it up again I relearned idle but I forgot I was suppose to go easy for a couple days to let the computer learn everything. would that cause it?I'm going to reset the computer again and let it learn for a few days.

marcus

ps: I went to advanced auto parts and the guy at the register was like"you have a turbo!!! I HAVE TO SEE THIS!!' so I showed him the car.

he was like "holy &@#@" and "fu** that thing must fly!"

I love this car.

• 2 weeks later...

well I haven't installed the plugs yet. I have noticed 1-2 shift is hard and it seems to be that the problem is it's slipping(I think). it does it most in second then when it shifts to 3rd wow I take off. but it doesn't seem to want to downshift past second it makes it bog down. I hate autos!

I want a 5 speed!

I'm thinking that maybe the CAI gave it the extra bit of power to kill the tranny. the diff between the intake before and after in awsome.

marcus