282 5-Speed Swap into My 96 CS

BXX

Well, I decided to pull my TGPs 5-speed out and put it in my 96 CS.. The plans for the TGP dictate that the 282 wont even come close to handling the power from a turbo 3400.

I really only have 1 question... Does the 3100 block have provisions for the 282's jackshaft bracket to attach to???

Oh, the TGP's booster and master cylinder (was converted to non-abs vacuum brakes) will be going into the CS as well since I want the damn crappy non-working ABS outta my way and outta my life..

fiero guys have 400 hp on stock 282s.... Whats your 3100 gona make?

Yes any 3.1 or 2.8 jackshaft will work.

at least 450hp

Im not gonna risk the 5-speed, especially since the TGP will see slicks and the track a lot.. That of course is if it stays FWD

fiero guys have 400 hp on stock 282s.... Whats your 3100 gona make?

Yes any 3.1 or 2.8 jackshaft will work.

at least 450hp

Im not gonna risk the 5-speed, especially since the TGP will see slicks and the track a lot.. That of course is if it stays FWD

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek:

Go F40 six speed but IMHO the 282 will take it, the intermediate shaft and the axles wont.

Ken

Even I doubt the F40 will take ultra hard launches on drap slicks :wink: Thats where a very built 4t65e-HD will be put to use

well i dont study into 3x00s so i suppose you know more about it than i do. And how do you know what the f40 can take? Theres a guy running it behind a twin turbo and highly modded 3900!

well i dont study into 3x00s so i suppose you know more about it than i do. And how do you know what the f40 can take? Theres a guy running it behind a twin turbo and highly modded 3900!

link on a TT 3900 please..

Doesnt mean it will handle it that long. Especially the way I abuse my cars.

And honestly, taking a 180HP 3400 to 450hp with a turbo isnt that damn hard.

Ill post it up tonight. Any btw what do 3400s make anyway? 140whp?

im stating crank hp, and they are about 185hp

Seriousl, 3.4L V6, proper turbo setup and tuning... 450hp isnt a problem

Kuntzie was using a 282 I believe with a spec 3 clutch like I am. He car was slammed to the ground which screwed up the angle of the cv shafts which most likely added to his failure of so many axles. The real problem is wheel hop, that is what breaks the axles. If you get an LSD diff in a 282 I hear it is much better with the wheel hop. The fiero guys are running LS7's with a 282 with little problems. You're not going to do 5 k dumps at the track on slicks but I'm sure it is fine with a good clutch and a reasonable person.

Ken

Pat installed a new Spec Stage 3 clutch and new flywheel..

Either way, I can trust a trans to track abuse on slicks when it was only intended for 140hp engines.

282s arent as weak as most people think they are.. Theres fiero guys who shove enough power through them to lift the front end. Yeah they snap lots of axles and in this one case i seen a guy actually break the aluminum trans case at the mount. Internals are solid though.

And the Fiero's are a helluva lot lighter than any W-body could dream of being. A crap load less stress on it in a Fiero than in a W-body.

Thank you...

No, what I'm saying that you see the 282 holding up in the Fiero, except snapping axles, and in the rare instances the case cracks. What the hell do you expect it to do in a heavy ass W-body? Really, your going to have to have custom axle's made to handle not only the power your expecting, but the stupidly heavy weight of the vehicle itself. Then consider the "shock" that it will receive when ran with slicks, there gonna have to be a pretty nice set of axles. My pockets are even deep enough to shell out that type of money, and I could heat treat them for free here where I work!

Actually fieros are quite heavy for their size. I think they weigh somthing like 2800lbs.. Plus when they put the v8s in them that weighs it down a bit... Still thats not my point. I was just stating that they are stronger than most people would think. Its pretty beefy for a 4cly trans.