underhood mat.

alphagtp

I'm tired of the ugly nasty looking mat under my hood, I've tried taking it off but is really dirty/greasy (I dont know what exactly is, but is black!!) If I find a way to clean that off, is my hood painted red as well??

i know my hood has a big spot of primer right in the middle. like they just shot paint around the edges and called it a day

x2

And that crap on the liner is PS fluid, if you take the liner off you sill see where it gets sprayed onto the hood. I guess the reservoir slowly leaks and it gets on the pulley and splashes on the hood.

Jamie

I would just clean it and make a custom underhood liner like a member on here did with like rubberized coating or something...........

well, I actually like how they look when painted like the rest of the car, I don't like the idea of having a mat at all, I guess we will see...

Awebs is painted I think??

The mat under the hood is a heat shield, it keeps the heat from fading the paint on your hood. I know lots of people who take them off and havent had any problems, and then I know quite a few people who ruin the paint on their hoods because the heat fades it. So be weary of that!

All depends on where you live and how you drive, friend of mine with a 94 lumina sedan the paint faded on the hood because the previous owner removed the mat.

My mat is still there, all soaked in PS fluid from the 3 failures ive had over the last 4 years. And I have the worst hood paint evarz to top it off. That mat is coming off and i dont care what it looks like.

WEIGHT SAVINGS!!

All depends on where you live and how you drive, friend of mine with a 94 lumina sedan the paint faded on the hood because the previous owner removed the mat.

i would venture to say the paint faded primarily because it was on a 14 year old car!

I would have said that too, but its the only place on the car that the pain is fading so i still think it had some part of it if only a little. Oh well tho! doesn't really matter! I personally like the way they look w/o the mats and painted. Although on my car that would be the only place the paint is shiny, so its moot.

I removed the mat under my hood too. I just thought it was ugly and dusty, so I ripped that MOFO out (plus......it added microscopic amounts of weight, and I can't have that, lol......can't tell you how much stuff I've removed that most people keep).

My mat has been out for over 2 years now and the only thing that has faded is one of my hood louvers.

On a side note, went to a car show today with my father and his 77 Vega, a Monza owner happened by and told us how to restore the mat. He said what he did was took it off and laid it out on a sheet of plywood, and over the course of a few weeks he sprayed it down with a degreaser. Then when all was said and done he spray painted it black. The spray paint not only made it look more appealing, but it stuck all the loose fibers back down to the mat.

Here is a pic I took, its kinda hazy, but I haven't installed photoshop on my new laptop just yet, I will try to edit it with photo bucket.

CIMG4193-1.jpg

This car was SO clean, and all original, him and my old man ended up talking for a while, turns out they are both members on the H-body forums but had never seen each others cars!

Jamie

The paint fades due to ultraviolet rays from the sun, not from under hood heat.

FYI, ALL second gen Pontiac Trans Ams came without a underhood pad, and most had a decal on the hood (like the one I own) , and the paint and decals were fine.

If you want the padless look, without worrying about your paint, go for it.

The sun will have more to do with your paint being damaged, than the engine heat ever will.

Leon

If you want the padless look, without worrying about your paint, go for it.

The sun will have more to do with your paint being damaged, than the engine heat ever will.

I agree 100%.

I'm tired of the ugly nasty looking mat under my hood, I've tried taking it off but is really dirty/greasy (I dont know what exactly is, but is black!!) If I find a way to clean that off, is my hood painted red as well??

I used my old window crank tool to pull those plastic fasteners out. They're not like the ones on the door panels that have many teeth and almost always get ruined. They will pop out (with the right tool) and pop back in pretty easily. The liner does almost no sound deadening. You will probably find primer behind yours as I did mine. And the dum-dum had let go from the reinforcement. Fixed that with expanding foam. This is what I did to mine to make it pretty: http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=69373.msg886925#msg886925

<--see the avatar? Do you see red?

:lol: :willynilly: leave him alone :eek:

so aweb, did you just painted the hood?? or did you had to do something else, like cleaning grease or stuff like said before??