What The F#^K?????

90TGP

Hey, I have a chip problem.

I went to the track August 2 with the TGP. My first run [first run ever at a track], was a 15.538@87.21mph. I ran with a full tank of gas and the spare tire wit the TopGun 180 chip [or so I think I have the topgun chip in my car].

After that, it just went downhill. I tried different combinations when I raced. I tried no burnout, flooring it. Burnout, flooring it. Burnout, torque braking it, flooring it. And no burnout, torque brake, flooring it. The first 4 runs where when I first got their. The weather was still cool being that it was between 12-1 o'clock. After 1, it got warmer [somewhere in the 80s was the high that day. I know that effected me a little]. I did notice that I was only pushing 7psi on my autometer boost gauge. WTF is going on? I have no clue. But on Monday I'll swap out the chip for the stock chip and see if the mechanic forgot to put it in or something like that. On the very last run, I iced down the intake manifold and removed my air filter after I let the motor cool down for about an hour. But I still hit 16s.

I do know that I need to practice my launching. But I still want to know why I'm only running 7psi instead of the 11psi I'm supposed to with the TopGun 180 chip.

Passes in order.

01)15.538@87.21

02)15.574@86.87

03)15.652@86.87

04)15.536@86.54

05)16.504@78.95

06)16.477@82.42

07)16.576@82.27

08)16.340@83.64

09)16.405@81.08

Please help. =(

I hope it's just the wrong chip and not something else.

:?: Don't they have a lable or something?

Was it boosting 11 psi before?

Check your wastegate selinoid connections, hoses and check for error codes.

Was she overheating?

How's your oil?

01) I don't really know. I emailed Jeff and asked if he could help.

02) I don't know. I didn't have an aftermarket boost gauge when I had the chip installed a month ago. I just had the gauges installed last Wensday.

03) I'll check the hoses. But how do I check for codes?

04)Nope. Stayed between 180-185

05)Oil is clear. But my oil gauge is showing abnormally higher readings then usual. It's at the 60 mark during normal driving and stays there when at idle. It used to be at 60 and would drop to 40 when I was at idle. I thought it was just the oil pressure sensor, so I had that replaced. I guess it might be the oil pump itself.

What were you're 60' times?? I ran consistently in the 2.2s on both of my TGPs. I even ran a 2.1 in my newer TGP, which I got a 14.6 @ 95 on that run. I have the TopGun 160 chip, and a K&N filter. Otherwise it is completely stock 8)

I think you better make sure you have the TopGun 180 chip as you should be running 11 psi I think. My first TGP ran a 15.7 on the stock chip with a leaky x-over, gutted cat, and a K&N filter. Also, what's your altitude?? I'm at around 900 ft. above sea level at the track where I race.

My TopGun 160 chip had flourescent green label where the usual AZRC, or AUAF code would be. I would ask Jeff what it should be, and check that out.

I do know that I need to practice my launching. But I still want to know why I'm only running 7psi instead of the 11psi I'm supposed to with the TopGun 180 chip.

One thing that you might want to look into is shortening your wastegate rod... that makes it harder for yout wastegate to open, therefore spooling faster and building more boost - You more then likey have the correct chip, just something else is wrong... you might have a vacume leak in your wastegate setup, your boost gauge may be wrong, it could be anything.

a good way to tell, if your chip has an engine cutoff for overboosting, pull the vacume line off of your wastegate, keeping it closed, then put it in drive and just slowly and carefully try and get your boost up past 7, but dont go over 11 if that is your desired goal, if that is the case, and the car shuts down at 11psi, then your chip is functioning fine, you would have a vacume leak or your wastegate needs tuning... thats all minor stuff... but that would be the only way that i would know how to tell.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that happens to your car. everything mentioned is merely a suggestion - this is a commonly used technique in the sy/ty community and there is no reason whyt it wouldnt work in your situation. Basicly, dont be stupid about it and see how much boost you can get without your wastegate. just do it to where you know whats going on.

- Justin

Well, I unhooked my BOV vacuum line to see if the BOV was leaking any boost. It wasn't the bov, it actually gave me 2psi [7psi]. I just took my car on the highway and floored it, it only went upto 5-6psi without the bov. So it has to be something else. I'll have all my vacuum lines checked out that connect to the turbo itself.

If it isn't the chip,

Im preaty sure that wastegate seli. isn't wroking. It stays closed letting the compresor air into the accumulator(wastegate). Have you probed the wastegate wires to see if one of them has power. Unconect the silenoid. Turn the key foward and see if theres power on one of the pins of the connector. The other one would be a ground signal the computer sends to open and close the silenoid. But I dont know if the computer sends a sig or not during idle. If the hoses from the waste gate were cracked then you would be overboosting.

If no power from either then check your fuses. Also if theres no power to the wastegage silenoid then your egr isn't working. They share the same power wire.

Well, I unhooked my BOV vacuum line to see if the BOV was leaking any boost. It wasn't the bov, it actually gave me 2psi [7psi]. I just took my car on the highway and floored it, it only went upto 5-6psi without the bov. So it has to be something else. I'll have all my vacuum lines checked out that connect to the turbo itself.

If you want to test the wastegate...have another person hold a screwdriver or a pry-bar on the wastegate actuator rod hinge holding it closed while you powerbrake the car and see what boost you get then. You will not kill the car doing this...but if you are not careful you may kill your assistant!! :shock: Be careful trying this...but you will know for sure then if it is the controlling mechanism for the wastegate... 8)

Just to let you know just because you took the vacuum line off the BOV does not mean it is not leaking... 8)

I had my wastegate vacuum line replaced when I had the cross-x pipe replaced because I was overboosting. It was bad from the years.

Improving my times will come after I find out why I'm only boosting 5-7 psi :evil: :( :cry:

If you want to test the wastegate...have another person hold a screwdriver or a pry-bar on the wastegate actuator rod hinge holding it closed while you powerbrake the car and see what boost you get then. You will not kill the car doing this...but if you are not careful you may kill your assistant!! Be careful trying this...but you will know for sure then if it is the controlling mechanism for the wastegate...

I did this to test out the wastegate on the TGP (only I zip tied it shut so I didn't need an assistant) and powerbraked the car but I only got up to 4psi boost (according to the guage) before the 3200rpm rev limiter kicked in. I thought maybe that was all the boost it could build at those low revs, but apparantly that is not the case?