Hi, new TGP owner!

92SunbirdTGT

Hi, I bought a 1990 TGP with 73000 miles and I hope to drive it soon. It has some problems that I want to correct.

First, the abs light is on .I think that it is a bad accumulator.

Second, the car is hard to start when cold then runs ok after 30 sec but after that it smells gas and throws a check engine light code 44( lean condition). The oil smell gas too and the spark plugs are black/wet. I followed the fuel system diagnosis chart in the 89 turbo service manual supplement that led me to a faulty gas pump.When the pump runs there is about 42 psi then when it stops it is slowly dropping. I decided to check for leaking injectors witch would make more sense. I ohmed the injectors, they are between 12.3 - 12.5 ohms and lifted the rails with them and pressurized it and they are not leaking .The fpr is ok too. So now I'm doing a tune-up and I have a question. I datalogged the car and the short term fuel trim go from 128 at the start to 180 and the long term from 134 to 156 when I decided to stop the car.

Can a leaking exhaust cross-over that is not audible cause a fuel correction so big that the car return in open mode? The o2 sensor never goes higher than 500 mv.

Sorry for the long text I was just making sure I explained myself correctly

Thank you for your time

Seb

yes that is true. usually the exhaust leak causes it to read lean but actually running rich. get a good x-over and new ac delco O2 sensor or clean yours and see what happens. but first I would throw on a vacuum harness if you smell exhaust coming through the vents.

when the x-over leaks, sometimes the hot gasses cut through the vac lines like a hot knife and you can sometimes smell that in the car. and the rubber fittings all dry out so a vacuum harness is a cheap fix (~$30-$40) thats usually always necessary upon purchase of a tgp.

Ok, I disconnected the 02 sensor and the car runs better, the fuel smell is near gone. I will get the x-over repaired. I bought a 02 sensor. Now it is burning a little oil, wich would indicate a bad turbo oil seal? Can I drive the car or the turbo will deteriorate? It has very little play and the oil drain tube is not restricted. I noticed there is a pin out of the transmission, is this normal? The picture is from the top of the engine at the rear.

So far this is what I've done:

New ac delco spark plugs

pcv valve

air filter, it really needed it, a squirel put his provisions in the air filter box during winter storage!

oil filter ac delco and mobil 1 synthetic

o-rings for injectors and fuel lines connections at rail

gaskets for plenum removal

ran gm combustion chamber cleaner

Seb

I cant tell what that is on the tranny. how does it shift?

Its blowing smoke out of the exhaust? or just using oil.

at least you didnt get mice. that would be way worse.

Holy hungry squirrels!! Mt park ave i just bought had something similar to that in the airbox.....fuckin rodents.

I see you are in Quebec! Possible record for the farthest north in Canada a TGP has gotten!!

WELCOME!!!! to the TGP club :mrgreen:

Replace the cross-over!!!

but be prepared to spend a bit.

as for the ABS light being on, don't pay any attention to it unless you're anal like some of us, it could be accumulator, relay, master cylider, or just a fuse. sometimes just the TGP's way of saying hi, and please be nice to me I'm old...lol

i am from quebec too and i just have stripped a TGP for the engine for put it in a chevy cavalier Z24 1988 , my first time i see a 3.1 turbo engine in a GM after few funny ride in the city whit the heavily rusted TGP i was been surprised how the engine have power i have dyno tested him and the dyno test result was 225HP at 5342 RPM for 258LB of torque@2287RPM

all look to be factory assembled no mods on him

oh and its a 1989 MClaren TGP eddition

mudkiller, what kind of dyno was it put on? Stock TGP's with an auto typically dyno around 170whp & around 210 ft-lbs of torque(making the stock ratings around 260-270 ft-lbs instead of the underrated "225 ft-lbs" GM stated. GM stated peak torque at 2,000rpms. Torque actually peaks around 3800rpms).

mudkiller, what kind of dyno was it put on? Stock TGP's with an auto typically dyno around 170whp & around 210 ft-lbs of torque(making the stock ratings around 260-270 ft-lbs instead of the underrated "225 ft-lbs" GM stated. GM stated peak torque at 2,000rpms. Torque actually peaks around 3800rpms).

good to know! when camparing to other Grand Prix's/W Body's

Hi guys, still working on the car... I have received my ac delco accumulator from rock auto since they are not available in parts stores here, they only sell the complete pricy unit. So I removed the old one and when I was ready to put the new one I noticed there was no o-ring on it. What they are thinking? Do I have to put the old one on it(not a good idea)? What is the part number for the o-ring?

Do you guys had a o-ring with your accumulator?

Also the fusible link for the positive câble between the alternator and the battery is melted, what should I buy? That's not cool, that one is my fault.

Mudkiller, was the TGP you stripped imported from the states? I've never seen one in Quebec, they were not available. Is the gauge cluster im mph or kph?

Your z24 is manual or auto? Do you have a custom cross-over?

I was going to turbocharge my sunbird gt, well I'll probably do it, I don't know.

It's good to know they are making 260 ft-lbs stock, is that with a stock chip?

Seb