Help Please... WTF!!

GtipGary

So im coming home from pizza hut earlier today, cars running fine nothing goin on. I pull into my parking lot and boom i hear a loud noise like somthing hit my hood. All of a sudden the pitch of the exhaust changes and the car starts running rough. I pull into my space and pop the hood and this is what i see...

GEDC0081.jpg

GEDC0083.jpg

GEDC0082.jpg

I tried to take a picture of the dent that it put in my hood but you cant really see it

GEDC0084.jpg

Is this something that can be fixed without changing the head??? i Tried tightening it back down but it just keeps spinning. Someone said somthing about a helix coil or some shit?? If i went that route how reliable would that be??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GtipGary

• moto_ty

• jeremy

• Crazy K

I had the EXACT same thing happen a month or two ago, it was even the same plug. What probably happened is that that plug wasn't properly tq'd down and over time it backed out. I got lucky with mine and they put a heli-coil in the head and i was good to go. If they can't rethread it or heli-coil it then i believe a new head is your only option.

Geez with all these 3.4s popping plugs and snapping t-belts and 3.8s blowing up and starting on fire, I'm glad I own a 2.8 and a 3.1 :lol: jk guys

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully it didn't wreck the head :sad:

I dont think thats its worth 3500$ anymore tim... and i called a mechanics shop very near to my house and they said that they are gonna try to rethread it and then J.B. weld it in. They said that that is the only way that they can guarantee that it will be reliable. I just went to Advance and got a Bosch Iridium plug (they were out of the NGKs and This one had a longer warranty) I figure if that bitch is gonna stay in there it might as well be a good plug. Grimlers said that theyll do it for 150$ tomorrow... so well see what happens.

you're going to let someone JB weld in your spark plug????

I dont know what to do... hence the reason i started this thread and asked you guys! The only thing i know is that it needs to get fixed because i have to be able to get to work and back every day!

Think of how much more your screwed if that JB weld gets down into the engine! A head will be the least of your worries... Find a new shop to take it to, any shop that suggests using JB weld doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Even the shop I used to go to wouldn't suggest that, and they are cheap bastards.

Jamie

i would heli-coil it. you are gonna have to pull the head though, as you dont want metal flakes getting down into your engine when they drill out the plug hole.

vacuum cleaner or the like with a thin long attatchment :wink:

JB Weld is the beginning of legendary forum stories.

Seriously, stop freaking out. It'll be alright. Helicoil, and do it right. Carefully, and make sure it's straight.

Ditto, I know you want a quick an easy fix, but the only route you really have is the helicoil.

Remember: if you dont have the time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to fix it again.

Geez with all these 3.4s popping plugs and snapping t-belts and 3.8s blowing up and starting on fire, I'm glad I own a 2.8 and a 3.1 :lol: jk guys

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully it didn't wreck the head :sad:

Don't consider your engine exempt, I know of at least two 3.1s that spit out a plug, both times it was the center rear one, a real bitch to get to.

Damn, you 3.4's are destroying hoods! See, at least when the 3800's go to destry hoods, they do it to the EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Yeah, they destroy the entire front end!

What would cause something like this to happen? Weakened threads on the head or plug? too much pressure building up in the cylinder? Makes me wonder if there is another issue at play if this is happening... And its kinda freaky that its happened twice in the last few months to 2 separate members...

Jamie

Just make sure the plugs threads are clean upon installation. and that they are torqued down to the proper 15 ft/lbs. I always use a dab of copper antiseize as well.

<-- hates that plug with a passion

What's wrong with the rear middle one? I never have a problem getting to it...of course I have freakishly small arms and fingers so....just lean the engine forward, remove alternator, and get that bastard out is how I do it.

why wouldnt you just go to a pick and pull and get the head, its not like its the rear head, the front head is so much easier. probably take you an hour or so to get it out of the car at the wrecker and then another hour at home?

More than likely the plug was crossthreaded at one point and the weakened threads finally wore out. Helicoil is the way to go, it will be a stronger thread than it was. Don't let some half-ass garage charge you to JB weld a plug, by the way, were these guys wearing mickey mouse hats?