GP dash swap into CS... NOW WITH PICS!!!!!! PG 1 56K go away!!

BXX

Well, I have a 96 CS and there is no way to do a clean HUD swap, so the only option was to do a GP dash swap. I pulled on from a 94 GP GT and I think they are the same from 94-96. I bought and entire dash assy with DIC, HUD, and switches for $55 at the local pull-a-part in Cleveland. I already swapped the HUD and switch in, so i'm just gonna sell my spares I got today.

Is the swap possible?? YES!!! and its not too hard!! Not to mention the GP dash is a nicer design.

Few things to know before you go out there and pull and dash and get pissed when it takes you over 2 hours

-Remove the trim panels that go from the dash to around the door. It'll make your life easier

-Remove the center consol because there a screws that are hidden by it. Otherwise it is much more harder with the console in place.

-Remove the dash pad, guage cluster, DIC, HUD unit, Heater controls, Radio, Glove box and airbag

-The airbag unit will not come out until you remove the bolt that is hidden where the glove box is!!! Then it lifts right out. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-At the top of the dash by the windsheild, use a 10mm and remove all the bolts, there should be 3 or 4

-At the sides, use a 13mm and remove the main mounting bolts, there should be 2 on the driver side, and only 1 needs to be removed from the passender side.

-Remove the main harness that runs along the bottom of the dash attached to the metal piece. Pull all harnesses down and outta your way

-Where the radio/heater unit was, remove all screws back there that you see on the larger bracket, yes, they are a pain in the ass

-LOOK AROUND!!! if you see a screw/bolt that looks like it should be removed, DO IT!! It'll save you time

-Remove the steering column bolts and lower the column. Yes, this is neccessary unless you want to damage something!!!

-Around where the steering column mount to the aluminum bracket, remove all the screws/bolt. Remember the hidden ones that go straight up!!!

-Tug on the dash, it should be pretty loose, if not, look for hidden screws/bolts.

-The bracket behind the radio/heater unit is a bitch, dont worry if it gets bent while pulling out the dash.

Remember to snag the following items,

-Driver side trim panel that goes above the door. The CS's passenger fits fine, but you will need the GP's driver to fit the new dash contour on that side

-All the vents that go to the GP dash. The CS's passenger side one at the door will work perfectly. I forgot the GP's so I just put in my CS's old one

-The heater duct for the GP. Once the dash it out, it should take you about 3 seconds to pull it out!!

NOTE ----- The CS's heater duct will work, but there are 2 tabs that have to be cut off and the GP will take a bit of pushing to get it to fit in place. I forgot the GP's ducting, so I made my CS's work.

-The CS's radio will not work!!! You need a 1.5DIN to fit the GP dash. the CS's is 2DIN and is too big to fit

-The CS's climate control unit will fit in the new spot. Just cut off the mounting prongs, put it in, screw in the right side, and drill a hole for the left side and insert a screw

-If you have a standard heater control setup, I think the same should apply to mount it

-If you snag a GP radio, it will light up a different color and prolly need to be rewired. You will prolly also loose steering wheel controls as well. I will be modifying my CS's radio to try to fit before I go with a GP because I refuse to have different color lighting in my car. yes, im anal :lol:

This is all I can think of right now. Its not as bad of a job as you think and looks better. I will post some pics of it completed once I get the trim panel I forgot, get a radio in, and clean it up

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5-6-08

Now for some pics. Finally got everything back together and cleaned up right

P1010412.jpg

P1010413.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010417.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010436.jpg

The paint for the dash trim panels was DupliColor Graphite Metallic Textured Paint.. It came out really nice

as well. I will be modifying my CS's radio to try to fit before I go with a GP because I refuse to have different color lighting in my car. yes, im anal :lol:

Use a chevrolet radio.. it will cure that problem.

you should modify the trim panel not the radio, IMHO

Im not modifying the trim panel. Dont want it to look like a hack job. If I trash the radio trying to modify it, oh well. It'll just go the same place it was gonna go, the garbage. Not to mention I have another stock Olds radio anyway..

I like to modify stuff to suit my needs if you cant tell. Hence I have a GP dash in my CS :lol:

successfully modifying the trim panel isn't the most diffucult thing in the world.....I guess if you are going with a stock deck a 1.5 din opening isn't the end of the world...I was thinking along the lines of aftermarket decks were a double din opening isn't something that I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice if I already had one :shrug:

I dont want an aftermarket one. I will be too picky on how it matches the interior lighting and interior design. Not to mention trying to keep my factory steering wheel controls. I can modify the trim panel, but that still wont allow the double din to fit since the area it has to go in isnt big enough...

Correct me if I am wrong but you went from two air bags to one and you didnt replace the air bag module and entire modules harness???

Um, the 94 has 2 airbags and all you have to do is replace you existing into the GP dash or use the GP airbag.. They are the same and mount identical... From the center of the dash to the passenger side is identical to the CS.. Air bag, glove box, even the CS's heater vent near the door goes right in..

And fine, I shall post some pics later tonight. I still gotta adjust the lower driver side panel under the steering column and clean the damn thing up,.

Lol grand prix had the dash first. And yeah there a lot alike. But it’s still something different. I feel like swapping dashes with my Cutlass and grand prix. lol just so people will be like. Wait a min… lol

Grand Prix got the "redesigned" interior a year early, and the coupes got the miniquads a year early. The only FTL is the coupes retained the passive door mounted seatbelts even with the interior change in '94.

Ill get pics once I finish it. I cant finish it until I get a few more things from the junkyard like the trim panel and a defroster vent that was painted ricer red.. And of course, not til the DIC is wired in and done. Ill prolly do all that on Sunday