MY TGP progress thread UPDATE - ON THE ROAD!

patgizz

everyone else has one, why not me?

yesterday 4/19 i pulled/pushed the TGP into the garage.

that last down low turbo to downpipe bolt is a pain. i've got the turbo sitting there because the coolant lines have not been removed yet but other than that it is ready to come out, followed by the crossover, then the car is going up in the air to get the cradle/tranny dropped out. i'm leaving the engine in place by making a support fixture out of some scrap wood, and so begins the 5 speed swap.

turbo is in apparently excellent condition with no shaft play and no signs of any impeller to housing collisions in the past. i have a t25 rebuild kit but i don't want to mess with a good thing.

i have found what i believe a better (easier) alternative to swapping out the whole firewall plate assembly.

pics to come tonight.

LOL day late and a dollar short.

do I qualify for a TGP thread if I am putting a tgp motor in another car?

yes, since you've now taken one out and put one back in :lol: Thanks again, BTW, total lifesaver!

I think the hesitation is just old gas, as the first few starts it took a fair amount of cranking to fire, but today it fired after not even two cranks, but then struggled for a bit to keep running. I'll keep running her until I can get the old gas out and go from there

well. the pics are on my camera. i worked on it for just under 2 hours today and got the turbo off, cradle out, and transmission out. i'm going to finish getting rid of the AC stuff tomorrow and put the 5 speed in.

it's a good feeling to see the dead auto sitting on the floor under the car instead of pissing me off being in the car.

the new 282 is in with a spec stage 3 clutch and new flywheel. the m/c is in. i'm clean now so i can go swap out the shifter without getting the interior disgusting. i wound up using an A body clutch m/c bracket to make a template and mounted the template to a long wire, traced it, and slowly ground the round hole to the exact template size. when the template slid through the m/c slid in and locked into place and i put a self driller into the plate to keep it from rotating back. with how the hole was hacked out on my donor car i should have zero trouble.

i'll attempt to get a passenger side non abs axle from advance, since the one rockauto sent was wrong.

shifter is in, pedals are done. need to get the correct passenger side axle from napa because rock auto sent me the wrong one.

the carpet came up to reveal nice clean floors with zero rust and no odor to seem like water has been in/sat in the car so the sunroof drains are probably open.

what's that box that looks like an ECM under the passenger seat? something for the PM3 or otherwise? because if its PM3 related i can just leave it out since the car was long ago converted to vacuum brakes.

cradle back in along with a new 34mm sway bar with energy suspension greasable poly bushings. hopefully they can order my axle tomorrow when i go to the store and get it in by afternoon since i'll go first thing inthe morning. and i need to either weld up the cracked extension housing bracket or fab a steel one, probably the latter.

new axles in, turbo back in. few small things to do(brakes back on, weld the crack in the extension housing bracket, figure out a couple vacuum lines, and make an EGR blockoff), swap the PROM, and see what happens.

I am offically on the road! the 5 speed is amazing. so as of today around 5:45PM i've driven my TGP for the first time. i made it to the BMV for my temp tag with 2 minutes to spare before 5pm closing time.

camera phone pic of at the lame dairy queen cruise(it was in the low 50's so like 7 cars showed up as opposed to the usual loaded parking lot and lawn).

tgpout.jpg

nice work pat!...very nice car!...we should meet up sometime and hit up one of the cruise nights.

i've got the sheffield quaker steak schedule - we need to hit pontiac night - i'll let you know since it is out in the car.