FFP Coils

cryptnix

What are people seeing for life of their struts?

I've got about 15k, some lite winter driving and lots of summer ... on mine and they're already starting to leak. (KYB's)

holy crap, where have you been the last few months?

working crazy amount of hours ...

still haven't put the blower on yet ;) but soon enough! soon enough! how you been?

Seems KYB's are sucking on CO's lately. But than again, someone else bought used struts and put CO's on. So maybe coincidence?

Blow me, lol

Mine blew up, seriously, it did more than leak, check this out...

CIMG3117.jpg

When I put them on in August they had 4000 miles on them... I've probably doubled that since then.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be designing some KONI struts for the w-body crowd. I am hoping to be done with the brakes soon, then give me a week of no stree, and I will start building them. I have read from a lot of website, including KYB. KYB's are only good for up to 1.5 drop after that they are no good. I have talked to LEE at Held and he says that the drop does not matter for the struts, but hes wrong.

The konis will handle a much larger drop, be adjustable and handle MUCH better. But they will be a bit more money.

I'm not using coil-overs for my drop. Does that make much of a difference at all?

I've had my front KYB GR2's for somewhere around 10k miles, and the rears just got put on over the weekend. We'll see how long those last, but so far I'm pleased with their performance.

KYB's are OK for stock height. After you go lower than 1.2 they will blow. I contacted Lee, I think he wants 5 people at $1000 a set. I have my self and my brother. Would there be anyone else that would want the most rediculus shocks ever. We can peobably get him down to $800 a set.

KYB's are OK for stock height. After you go lower than 1.2 they will blow. I contacted Lee, I think he wants 5 people at $1000 a set. I have my self and my brother. Would there be anyone else that would want the most rediculus shocks ever. We can peobably get him down to $800 a set.

Compared to $250 a set for KYB GR2's, will it make that much of a difference? The previous shocks I used didn't blow either.

I just don't think I could rationalize forking out $800 for a set of shocks for a w-body.

Well, it depends. If you like your car handling like shit, than keep the KYB's. Mine blow in 500 miles. Konis are a much better brand and will last mucch longer. Yes its worth every drop. I have konis on my sunfire and the ride is awesome, smooth and stiff at the same time.

Yes, $800 is big money, but for what your getting its worth it. Most of the forum topics on here are cause there are not good aftermarket parts for these cars.

Well, it depends. If you like your car handling like shit, than keep the KYB's. Mine blow in 500 miles. Konis are a much better brand and will last mucch longer. Yes its worth every drop. I have konis on my sunfire and the ride is awesome, smooth and stiff at the same time.

Yes, $800 is big money, but for what your getting its worth it. Most of the forum topics on here are cause there are not good aftermarket parts for these cars.

I suppose you're right. I guess I just couldn't rationalize forking over that much cash for a pair of shocks when the KYB's seem to be doing pretty well for me. Then again, my regal is far from being as modded as your w-body is.

Theres nothing wrong with KYBs, mine have about 10,000 miles on them and the ones that didn't hop a curb at 100km/h are fine.

I'm lowered 2" and have had no bottoming our under normal driving conditions.

Yeah, Konis will be better, but for $800 more than what I have, no freakin way...

Are these Koni's coming straight from Koni? or is Lee modifying some? If Lee is modifying them, there will be no warranty (unless lee wants to provide a comparable warranty), so you might as well go with the KYBs

Jamie

I have a lifetime warrenty on my struts.. They blow, I get another set. the process then repeats. I dont currently have coilovers, but I will within a few weeks. I just need to finish fabbing the mount and then install everything

Ill fork over $800 for a set of Konis when I intend to take it roadracing. Until then, crap struts are better than stock

KYBs have a life time warranty as well...

Jamie

x2.

I like my ride just the way it is. I think if it was any harsher id kill myself. Besides several sets of KYB's can be had for $800. Hell you can almost buy front and rear coilovers from Held for a little bit more...

You have to be careful too, all these "life time warranties" are based on intended driving conditions. If you have coil overs on KYBs, you have no warranty, they were not made to have a threaded sleeve dropped on and wrapped in a spring, same goes for Koni, monroe, gabriel, you name it.

So unless you get lucky and the company doesn't want to see the failed strut, your into the cost for replacement anyways.

Jamie

i've taken two sets of KYB's on the rear back to the auto parts store.

I changed them out becuse one set the chrome came loose on the shaft and tore the seal to pieces....the other set I just replaced because I "thought" they were bad....they weren't, but the store still took them back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my FFP Coils are custom design (lol) and have held up for over 4 years now.

I've been thinking about replacing the struts... but They aren't worn out.