What would be a good oil to use on a 3.4 DOHC?

pose_Z34

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30. I'm running that in my SE with 221,800 miles on it and it doesn't leak or burn any oil. I have always run Amsoil in my bikes.

I'd like to try Amsoil or Royal Purple in the cars to see what it does.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hotrodolds

• Euro

• 88red4cyl

• Night Fury

When it comes to oil, you'll never see any problems. Its just what you read.

With that said only the best for me, Amsoil/Royal Purple.

You'd think with motor oil being pretty important in the engine's life...you'd notice if anything went wrong? I don't think any of the expensive ass oils are worth it for our cars to begin with.

Right, what I'm saying is all the talk about oils, there isn't a oil out there that causes catastrophic damage, everything your going to see is something someone reported.

Unless it breaks down or something your not going to notice a difference.

I justify expensive oils since I want to best for my car. The benefits far out way the $$ figure.

Mobil 1 Clean 5000 is awesome. Its about a dollar more for a five quart jug than super tech and I have 3500 Miles on this oil change and the oil still looks good. Ever since I've switched to Mobil 1 I'm sold on it. Please dont use a fram filter.

I would say almost any oil will do. I usually stay away from the absolute cheapest, $1.99 quart. I go for name brands such as Valvoline, Mobil, Texaco, etc. I don't pay over $2.50 a quart. I love my car, but not that much.

The Fram thing?...egh. I understand where people are coming from, but I haven't had any trouble yet. Its more important you change your oil regularly.

As a side note, I keep forgetting that my car doesn't take a full 5 quarts. I have so many half opened oils, the next oil change will be a brand mix! (same weight) :lol:

I would say almost any oil will do. I usually stay away from the absolute cheapest, $1.99 quart. I go for name brands such as Valvoline, Mobil, Texaco, etc.

Its more important you change your oil regularly.

Any brand name oil is fine. The cheap ass store name shit is like pisswater. It's good for saturns that burn a qt of oil a week and thats it. I love the people that buy fram because they think they are the end all solution to filters.

I really like that article. I change at around 3000 because not only does my driving follow EVERY single part of a severe schedule except towing, but Im also not easy on the car either. Better to change your oil too soon and spend some extra cash than take any chance and go an fuck up ur engine down the rd.

I really like that article. I change at around 3000 because not only does my driving follow EVERY single part of a severe schedule except towing, but Im also not easy on the car either. Better to change your oil too soon and spend some extra cash than take any chance and go an fuck up ur engine down the rd.

QFT!!!!

I have had great luck with all castrol oils.

Used them in my race bikes and cars for 20 years. My cutty 3.4 calls for 5w-30w.

My bonneville used castrol gtx for 200K miles and I dropped the pan.....it was super clean and not enough grime in the motor to get under your finger nails...Im sold.

When it comes to oil, you'll never see any problems. Its just what you read.

With that said only the best for me, Amsoil/Royal Purple.

You'd think with motor oil being pretty important in the engine's life...you'd notice if anything went wrong? I don't think any of the expensive ass oils are worth it for our cars to begin with.

Right, what I'm saying is all the talk about oils, there isn't a oil out there that causes catastrophic damage, everything your going to see is something someone reported.

Unless it breaks down or something your not going to notice a difference.

I justify expensive oils since I want to best for my car. The benefits far out way the $$ figure.

Agreed.

My mom uses Penzoil/Quaker State. She's a Quaker State fan, I refuse to use either brand. My dad uses Castrol GTX, he got me hooked on Castrol years ago on my old car.

I've been running Castrol GTX 5w30 (what it says on my oil cap!) since I bought the car, and just this last oil change switched to a Castrol synthetic blend. Told my mechanic about it, he groaned about me causing more oil leaks.. then said if it hasn't started leaking yet, I'm probably just fine.

The car seems to run better on the Synthetic blend, but I've been debating what oil to use for long-term longevity on this motor. I have no idea the miles on the motor itself, didn't get to check the odometer in the cutlass (it wasn't running, and had the full digital cluster and had no way to get power to it to check... didn't feel like messing with it, LOL.) So I figure I should treat this motor like it's high mileage and hope for the best.

I use Castrol, hands down, and that's all i will ever use until something proves to me otherwise.