What would be a good oil to use on a 3.4 DOHC?

pose_Z34

My new Z34 is due for its 1st oil change with me as the owner. I'm leaning toward Mobil 1. Primarily used on the highway to and from work, and it has 142K on it. Recommendations?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hotrodolds

• Euro

• 88red4cyl

• Night Fury

i would be cautious putting synthetic in it if it isnt runing it now. these motors have a lot of seals and are prone to leaking oil... if you switch you could start seeing leaks that the conventional oil covered up.

i use castrol syntec 5w30 but i started about 80k miles with the miles you have its prob best to use something like GTX just keep a good filter on it.

i am sorry but being have worked for walmart TLE we had more problems with engine noise from the supertech water. we always said that 10w30 is like 5w30 and 5w30 is like 5w20.

WIX or ACDelco filter and I use Valvoline MaxLife and Love it....

My honda used to use about 1.5 quarts every 3k miles....but slowly the usage has stopped. I think MaxLife might have had something to do with this...I'm not sure.

i am sorry but being have worked for walmart TLE we had more problems with engine noise from the supertech water. we always said that 10w30 is like 5w30 and 5w30 is like 5w20.

Hm.. I'm not sure how long ago that was, but when I worked there (2006-2007), the Supertech was being made by Quaker State.. A lot better than that Pennzoil crap IMHO...

Hm.. I'm not sure how long ago that was, but when I worked there (2006-2007), the Supertech was being made by Quaker State.. A lot better than that Pennzoil crap IMHO...

Did someone mention Quaker Sludge???

My family's run Pennzoil in every car we've ever owned with no problems, I ran it in my Lumina with no problems, and so far the GP's seen no problems. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep using it.

When it comes to oil, you'll never see any problems. Its just what you read.

With that said only the best for me, Amsoil/Royal Purple.

Actually, Pennzoil and Q-State are the same company............

Valvoline Max life and an ACD filter, ran 10w-40 in my lumina, with 150k on the clock, used to burn oil with the cheap shit, after 3 oil changes, the oil consumption slowed down to nothing and the car getsbetter gas milage then ever, with a 40 weight oil, that being said max life is by far the best oil for cleaning up engine wear from milage

Actually, Pennzoil and Q-State are the same company............

Yes. They are owned by Shell.. Doesn't mean they are the same oil though..

When it comes to oil, you'll never see any problems. Its just what you read.

With that said only the best for me, Amsoil/Royal Purple.

You'd think with motor oil being pretty important in the engine's life...you'd notice if anything went wrong? I don't think any of the expensive ass oils are worth it for our cars to begin with.

Wally World Price for maxlife 11.97 5 Qt Bottle

AC Delco Filter 4.18 @ Advance Auto Parts

My Total oil Change Cost: Lessthen 20 Bucks, thats almost as cheap as wally worlds Shitty oil changes