TGP progress thread

Psych0matt

So, as most of you know, I traded my old Jimmy for a TGP. I spent all of $50 getting it running, but still had the issue of the tranny having no first gear (which I was fully aware of when I got it). So, finally yesterday Ken/Crazy K (who has an engine lift) came up for the weekend, we tore into everything, and at about 1:30am this morning we had the engine and tranny free. Today we pulled the turbo off, as well as the crossover and basically everything else turbo related, separated the transmission from the engine, and set them both down to be cleaned up. I have a spare tranny to be put it, which is a supposed good one pulled from a parts car, so hopefully that's correct when we put it in, but the plan for the next week or so is to clean all the crap on the engine and in the engine bay, get a bunch of parts that need replacing (motor mount, various o-rings and hoses, etc) and get things ready to drop back in the next time I have a free weekend and can get the engine lift and a spare set of hands.

Here are a few pics from last night. The only difference today is that the garage is cleaned up, and the engine and tranny are on the floor between the garage door and the car

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

and the obligatory in-the-engine-bay shot:

IMG_1596.jpg

I'll merge another post here, as well, since no one seems to be answering it:

So, got the engine and tranny all pulled out, ready to be cleaned and everything fun like that. I have a bit of money to spend (not a ton, but enough to replace some things) and am starting a list, hopefully to order/buy things in another week or so. Feel free to add to the list, or ask about anything

-Fuel line O-rings

-Oil drive O-ring

-stainless bolts for turbo (and some other stainless bolts)

-some rubber hose, since it's cheap. I'll just redo whatever when I see it

-probably some new wire loom

-new lower motor mount, mine was completely destroyed

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but I feel like crap and cant think right now :lol:

Nice. You really can't pull an engine without the generic in the engine bay pic.

I know every time I do anengine swap I seem to have a bad ground afterwards, so that's something I would pay special attention to on reassembly. Did you pull the harness along with the engine? If you want to add a boost gauge now would be an easy time to run the line.

Oooh! Good idea on the boost guage line! I completely forgot about that. We did pull the harness and all, too. Yes, I cleaned up a few grounds already on the body, and was planning to clean up the block grounds as well once I get it all cleaned up.

oil pan gasket!

new fusible links and some wireloom on them.

small starter swap.

It already has a brand new Hi-Performance starter on it, it was like a $250 unit that Jay put on before I got it. Fuseable links is a good idea, and I was gonna get some wire loom and clean up some grease and crap.

Also a good time to do an underdrive pulley, and maybe remove the bottom bolt from the coil pack.

Coilpacks are easy enough to do (already replaced the ICM), so I won't worry about that, and I've really been tossing around the idea of throwing my 94/94 dohc UDP up for trade for a 3.1 pulley.

• 3 weeks later...

You are not being useful in my thread, other than being eye candy.

That is total usefullness to me!!!!!!!!

actually, I just replied that way I could follow the thread!

Get off my case! @#$#@!#!@#

Wrap the upper IC pipe for sure. There's some debate about whether or not the x-over should be wrapped or not. I know at least one person on the board has a wrapped x-over, but his car sees very little use. I've been meaning to fabricate a heat shield for my x-over. I'm thinking about chopping up a NA heat shield or two and combining them so that the resulting product will fit over the larger braided flexes on my x-over(s).

Right, I figured I'd definitely do the IC pipe, I just didn't know what else would be most beneficial, since the IC pipe will probably only take about 1/3 to 1/2 the roll

Guys on CGP have wrapped their pem's and headers and whatnot. They don't see any performance gains, just engine/underhood temps seem to be a lot cooler.

They don't see any performance gains, just engine/underhood temps seem to be a lot cooler.

That's The Only Reason I'd Do It. But Only If I Was Down There In The First Place.

They don't see any performance gains, just engine/underhood temps seem to be a lot cooler.

That's The Only Reason I'd Do It. But Only If I Was Down There In The First Place.

Ed Zachary!

Guys on CGP have wrapped their pem's and headers and whatnot. They don't see any performance gains, just engine/underhood temps seem to be a lot cooler.

That's what we're going for too, *but*, there's the debate about whether or not the crossover will crack from retaining a lot more heat if it's wrapped. I know someone on ClubGP with a turbo setup mentioned cracking manifolds and/or a crossover with it wrapped before. I'll have to find that old post...

That's what we're going for too, *but*, there's the debate about whether or not the crossover will crack from retaining a lot more heat if it's wrapped. I know someone on ClubGP with a turbo setup mentioned cracking manifolds and/or a crossover with it wrapped before. I'll have to find that old post...

post it up if you find it

orly? I did not know that

damn . kill that little orange dude!!! :mad:

kidding, but yea I have used some stainless exhaust shielding that bolts up under your car and cut, grinded and polished it out and the curve went perfect around the lower IC pipe and it makes a perfect shield down there. I just sandwiched a piece of firesleeve in between and used hose clamps to keep it in place. I also use a PMIII shield for on top the turbo and that works perfect. you just bend it a little.