getrag 284 instead of 282 with turbo 3.1??

skalor

I was informed that there was a 5 speed dohc 3.4 cutlass supreme at a yard near me and I was going to do a 5 speed swap into one of my TGPs so I figured I would go check it out. I went to look at the car and it looks to be in good shape(shifts through gears and the car is pretty clean all around). I don't know the mileage as the odometer is digital. Anyways, does anyone one know of any problems of using a getrag 284 instead of the 282 when mated to a turbo 3.1. I know that there is no parts available to rebuild it, and that ok with me as I'm sure I could find another 284 if I wanted to. I know that the slave cylinder is totally different than the one used on a 282, and I intend to take all necessary parts.

Thanks,

Josh R.

The gearing is more tended towards a high revving motor and rebuilds will cost a fortune, other then that it is a better trans then the 282. If you don't take it I might want it.

I thought there was an issue with the 284 not being able to handle high torque. That was why most of the Fiero guys didn't use them with the NorthStar engines. Something about the thrust bearing being weak... 8)

The stock 284 clutch would probably hold a stock or lightly modded TGP just fine. I can't speak for the Fiero guys but there are 2 reasons they don't use a 284 behind a N*, first the PCM freaks out with anything other then an auto (they have just figured out how to program it for a 5spd within the past few months) and second the 284 is next to impossible to find and pratically unrebuildable unless you ship it to Indiana.

The 284 is much stronger then the 282, just the shear size difference is a clue. The 282 has a problem of cracking the case behind even some V6's and the 284 case has extensive webbing added to it.

There may be a hidden problem (thrust bearing...) but I havn't heard of it.

and second the 284 is next to impossible to find and pratically unrebuildable unless you ship it to Indiana.

That's right, just send them right over to me. Send all your 282's more preferably. And remember to hold your breath while waiting to get it back. Indiana? Why?

Ah, yes, they just got sold and bought, now it is called Manual Transmissions of Muncie. That is where I live. I can't say that they rebuild trannies there, but if the parts are to be had, I guess I could get them. One of my friends is a office network admin. there. I sure he could point me to someone that knows.

Well, I started tearing apart the car to get the 284 out. I got the half-shafts, shifter assembly, shifter cables. That's it for now, but I'm going back tomorrow to try and get the tranny out(hopefully). The Cutlass had a powercrapper III in it so it had the anti-lock halfshafts so no mix and match needed for my abs to work 8)

god910, if your friend can get parts then that would be great as brian89gp said, these trannies have to be sent back to GM to be rebuilt and it's usually just the carbon friction material on the blocker rings from what I understand.

is $1800 Canadian (with core return) a good price on a Getrag 284 from a DOHC? and.... core wise, can my auto tranny be used as that? or would they need a 5 speed?

THey are gonna want an exact replacement of what you are buying from them, and some times if they check and the core you send is not "good" they only partially (or not at all) refund your core. I wish it was that easy, I have a few RWD trannies I could send as cores. :lol:

The release bearing and pressure plate is set up differently in the 284. It is a pull system instead of a puch type. The fork pulls the bearing which pulls the pressure plate along with it to release. The types are said to hold more power so I dont think there is a prob. with the bearing. But i could be wrong. I do know that clutches are damn expensive for it though. Canadian Tire (our easiest parts store in Canada) wants 1000 bucks for a new clutch kit. Im sure i could find cheaper but i havnet tried yet.

Well , I got the 284 along with the mounts, master/slave setup(with accumulator), half-shafts, shifter, shifter cables, flywheel, starter. Basically everything I would need. I still have to get the brake and clutch pedal. I also know of a 5 speed GP SE that has a DIC center console that I'm going to use. I'm psyched and I can't wait to start tearing out the auto. I'm also thinking of doing a 3100 top end swap on the TGP. I already have a set of Gen III heads sitting around. I'm not sure about that yet though. :)