'96 Cutlass, 3100 stalled, and won't start... CPS is OUT! Pg. 7 Pics

nebojsa_o

did you use pliers to grab onto the embedded screw while prying against a raised surface? From what you've stated here, the screw is remaining embedded which is definitely a key concept here. If that screw isn't pulling out from the sensor then that is going to be your key to removing the sensor.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

• 89GP_SE

Yes, I've tried that. Hell, I'll still be trying. The good thing is that the screw stays in there, but the bad news is I have no clue how much more strenght is needed to get this thing out. I sure as hell don't have enough, and neither doesn my brother and my dad. :willynilly: I'll obvioulsy mess around with it some more tomorrow, but I have no clue if I'll manage to get it out. I'm leaning towards a no... :frown:

What About Leaving The Screw In, Then Tapping In Back In The Hole A Bit. Then Try And See If The Sensor Will Turn. Then Try To Pull It Out. Maybe It Is Just Hung Up On Something. Make Sense?

It makes sense, but I won't be able to turn it, I have nothing to grab by. I can grab the screw, but turning it will either bring the screw out, or screw it a little further in. I'll see if I can get another screw in there, that way I can grab both of them, and then rotate it. I just woke up, so I'll be going out there in a couple hours probably.

It's an idea, but so far it's been very very very hard to even pull it out a little bit, so I'm not sure how much pushing and pulling I can do, but I will give it a shot. Thanks for the ideas. :thumb:

I tried drilling in there again, to get a screw in place, but that wasn't working out. So I scraped at it for a bit with the drill, and found the fucking magnet. It's fairly big in the center of the sensor, giving me a ring less than 1/8th of an inch all around the magnet. That's very close to the block for drilling. Now if I could melt that plastic with something, I can hang onto the magnet with something... I got some more thinking to do. A soldering iron doesn't work.

Any idea if I can damage the block by heating it up too much? I could go get a torch from work, those things get fucking hot... I'll test the pieces of the sensor that are already broken, and out, and see how meltable they are.

Alright, some progress has been made. Very shitty way to do it, and very scary, but we're using a dremmel to drill between the block, and the big ass magnet in the middle. I think the block may have been scratched from the inside a bit, but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that, and when I say a bit, I mean a bit, shouldn't make much difference on anything. Once most of that plastic came off, we grabbed the magnet and pulled it, and it broke on us, but about 1/2" came out. So if our guesstimations are right, there is still about 1/2" of magnet in there, and that should be it. Problem now is the drill bits are too short, so I'm gonna go buy some new longer ones tomorrow, hopefully that's not hard to find. We have to get a bit more plastic out, and the magnet should be able to come out. Then I'll have to get remaining plastic that's still stuck to the block off. I have no clue why it's so tight, and hard to work with, but it is. If all goes well, bit by bit, and it should be out tomorrow. We have to go to supper in a bit, so that's most likely it for tonight. I'll take pictures of all the parts that I still have that came out. This thing is coming out in a thousand pieces, and shavings.

Even if I can't get the rest of it out, the 1/2" by 3/8" piece that's in there is much smaller than the whole sensor was to push into the pan, so it would probably be ok. Only 1/2" to go! :willynilly:

LOL ok now before you judge me on this, it is just an idea and I am imagining my hillbilly self doing this. Put a screw in it, get a steering wheel puller, hook it all up and used the steering wheel puller to pull it out. That way there is no strength involved in it.

Just a thought.

LOL ok now before you judge me on this, it is just an idea and I am imagining my hillbilly self doing this. Put a screw in it, get a steering wheel puller, hook it all up and used the steering wheel puller to pull it out. That way there is no strength involved in it.

Just a thought.

Ok, just a thought for your hillbilly ass... I've tried that. :bonk: That was one of the first things I tried, but it wasn't working out. And for right now, I don't have any room to put a screw in anymore. The magnet in the middle is pretty damn big. I'll see if I can figure something out tomorrow. Slowly but surely this thing is coming apart, it just annoys the hell out of me it's so much more complicated than it has to be...

Pfft, you guys have crappy water. :lol: I'm just kidding, I have no clue. Just heard that at some point back in the day. :lol: Thanks for helping anyways, anything is better than nothing. I really hope tomorrow goes as planned. :willynilly:

I hope so too... And if I had any luck, this wouldn't be happening. :lol: I just hope I can get the last bit out, without it falling into the pan. Not sure if it would be alright in there since the 3x00 engines have the windage tray... I hope I can get it out tomorrow, that way I can have the car running in time to still enjoy my holidays, otherwise I'll spend the holidays in the garage. :rolleyes:

Ditch the Cutty and just drive the Maxima all winter ;)...JK!!!

The thought had crossed my mind :lol:, but I still got Cutty love. :smile: And Maxima would need new tires for winter, I got to drive it when we got the first snow. Starting in 3rd gear isn't overly cool! :willynilly:

The son of a bitch is out!!

I can't believe it's finally out. I'm more than just happy right now. I still gotta put the new one back in, and hope that was the problem, and it will start :lol: , but I'm happy! My old man got it out a little earlier. We had to drill with a fucking dremel to get it out of there. Magnet is sort of large, so the plastic all around it had to be destroyed for it to come out. Magnet came out in two pieces, and the last part came out as once large chunk. Pain in the ass until the very last moment, even when there was only a tiny piece in there, and drilled around it, and ripped apart, it still came out kind of hard. I have no clue what happened there, and why it was so much harder than it was supposed to be, but I'm extremely glad I don't have to drop the oil pan! :willynilly: :high5:

Here are some of the pieces I picked up from under the car. There were a lot more, because the whole sensor came out in little pieces.

CPS004.jpg

CPS003.jpg

Big thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and ideas, and funny comments to keep me in a decent mood during this shitty experience. I'll be sure to let everyone know within the next couple days if that fixed the problem, but I'm pretty sure it will. Thanks everyone! :cheers: