• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

• 89GP_SE

Man this is pissing me off. There is barely any room to get in there, can't see shit so I gotta use a mirror to look, I don't know how any lube is gonna get in there, since it's so damn tight... If I gotta pull the engine to do this shit, I'm looking for a 3.8L SC to throw in there instead! :willynilly:

That's all already out... And I took the dog bones off, and tilted the engine forward. I have enough room to get my hands back there, but I still can't see shit, and when my hands are there, they are pretty fucking useless when the thing is stuck in there like a bastard.

I pulled one out by breaking off all the plastic and then grabbing the wires on the inside with a vice grip and pulling.

in FAQ it;s detailed how to remove stubborn sensors. I'd probably break down and start cooking the sensor with a propane torch right about now....

yeah, it sucks. I removed mine the same exact way ken did. You need to overcome the friction of the O-ring, the end of the sensor that might be slightly mushroomed, and also the force of the magnet. try to grab the body of the sensor with vise grips (carefully!) and pull outwards. This is what I did, also the plastic broke :lol: so I grabbed the metal connector leads and did the same thing, it worked. Some people have had them break, and they pushed the remains into the oil pan and left it there :lol: just a thought.

Oh, I had no clue I could leave it in the oil pan. Not sure I like the idea, but if that's what it comes to, fuck it. I'm not having any luck grabbing onto the fucking thing since plastic keeps breaking off. Maybe I'll rip it apart as much as I can, and then either pull by the internals, or push the cockfucker in there. :lol: I wanted to use the torch, but there isn't much room in there, and I'd probably end up burning myself, and some wires. :lol: I noticed a red plug on the back really close to it. That's the block heater, right? Now, please tell me I'm pulling on the correct sensor? :willynilly:

Oh, I had no clue I could leave it in the oil pan. Not sure I like the idea, but if that's what it comes to, fuck it. I'm not having any luck grabbing onto the fucking thing since plastic keeps breaking off. Maybe I'll rip it apart as much as I can, and then either pull by the internals, or push the cockfucker in there. :lol: I wanted to use the torch, but there isn't much room in there, and I'd probably end up burning myself, and some wires. :lol: I noticed a red plug on the back really close to it. That's the block heater, right? Now, please tell me I'm pulling on the correct sensor? :willynilly:

Yes that is the block heater Neb. You are at the right sensor. Drain your oil out, take the pan off, and try to tap it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. Might work.

Thank fuck! :lol: I was sweating bullets over here for a second. I was thinking about that, but taking the oil pan is a bit of a PITA as far as I know. I'll leave that as a last resort kind of a thing. If it breaks off or something, then I'll drop the pan, and push it out... Either way, I have 11 days off after this week, so I'll have plenty of time to spend in the garage in case I don't get it done before the weekend. I have my brothers truck to drive until then. :high5: I have a headache now, and gotta go somewhere in a little while, so I don't think I'll get at it today, maybe my old man will. Thanks for helping out!

This thing is fucked boys. More plastic broke off, and the wires were exposed. Pulling the wires, ended up ripping the wires, lol. So I figured fuck it, lets push it in, and worry about it then... Well, we can't even push the son of a bitch in. I have no clue how this thing is stuck in there, but it's not moving.

What's this "hot drywall screw" idea??

If we were to drop the pan, would I have room to push it out with a screwdriver or something? Give me info on dropping the pan, what all needs to move, and come apart? I read through the Haynes and Chiltons, and I'm wondering if that all needs to be done, or are there some ways to cut down on the ammount of shit to take apart?

Holy hell, Cutlass has been good to me, but whenever something takes a shit, it's a pain in the ass to fix... :willynilly:

What's this "hot drywall screw" idea??

Go read the FAQ on this.

Oh, that's what I was gonna do. :lol: I'm sitting here thinking, fuck I knew I came down here to do something. :lol:

Well, day three or four of fucking around. I got some of that Liquid Wrench penetrating spray/foam kind of a thing, and I sprayed that on there. The hot drywall screw thing didn't really work, but I managed to drill a hole down the center of the sensor (I was shocked at how straight it was too :lol:). Then I screwed a screw in there, and hooked it with a metal crowbar kind of a thing, and got past the o-ring. :high5: Now there is about 1" of the sensor left in there, and I can't really pull it out. How mushroomed can the bottom be? I'm tired as hell, and a pretty big piece came out tonight. I sprayed it with that LW stuff again, and will let is soak until the morning, then spray it again. Then see if I can get any more of it out after work. If I manage to get it out this way, and that penetrating stuff gets in the oil pan, it's flammable and I can't see the oil mixing with it well, I should do an oil change before starting it up, eh?

Also, any idea how long is the little magnet piece that stick out on the bottom of the sensor?

The sensor itself is only about 2" long give or a take a little bit. Once you get the o-ring out of the block, it should slide right out with no problems. Maybe its the angle at which your trying to pull it out makes it seem stuck.

I don't think it's the angle, this thing is seriously stuck in there. :lol: I was already thinking of dropping the oil pan, the only reason I'm still fucking with it like this is, becasue my brother got like 1/8 inch movement just before we all gave up. So today was a GIANT step forward, getting out a piece that big. I'll see what happens in the next couple of days. The problem now is that it's kind of hollow from the screwing I did. :lol: So if I grab it with pliers or channel locks (can't help it, I'm a plumber :lol: they work for everything) I might break it since there is no real solid center. I'll try putting a screw in there when I wanna grab it with pliers, so there is at least something in there instead of a hole. Another reason it might be so hard to get out now, is because it's all oiled up and what not from that spray. If I wipe it all down, it might actually come out. :willynilly:

It flat out BROKE. The car ran, but the sensor had broken and was hanging from some sort of fabric on the sensor. When I attempted to remove it from the engine the fabric ripped and the sensor fell into the engine.

Imagine sticking your finger in the hole and then pointing your finger down. Now imagine the sensor in this position. Rotate the sensor 180* and try to pull it out.

How About Going To A Parts Store And Getting A New One That Way You Can Compare The Old Versus New, That Way You Know What Your Working With.

I bought the new one before I even started the job... I know what I'm working with, which is exactly what's bothering me, why isn't it coming out? I have about an inch or so left in there, and the current part that's sticking out, keeps breaking whenever I grab it... I can't rotate it, I can't pull it out, I can't do a damn thing with it... I'm gonna drill a new hole in the sensor tomorrow again, and keep trying. I don't know what else to do, other than drop the pan, and I really don't wanna do that...

This is my worst nightmare. Something that shouldn't be so hard, but is impossible and preventing my car from running. Best of luck to you

Thanks. :sad: Yeah, it's a stupid problem, and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else here. I just have no idea what's causing all this trouble. Maybe the sensor cracked near the bottom of it, so it spread a bit, and is now being a cunt to pull out. :dunno: Either way, I have 11 days off after tomorrow, so whatever needs to be done, I'm pretty sure I'll do. I was just hoping to actually take it easy for the holidays, and not spend days under the car. Hope I can figure it out somewhat soon. :confused:

With the sensor? I guess it would be possible, but I'm sure you can imagine. Dog bones are off, engine tilted forward, coil packs taken off, and playing reach around with the fucking thing. :lol: Basically so far it's only been coming out in pieces... The picture would show you a mostly broken, chewed up sensor, or a place where the sensor once used to be. :lol: I'll try and remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Is there a part of the sensor you can grab onto? :lol:

There used to be, about 1/2" or so was sticking out. But after grabbing onto it a few times and trying to rotate it, or pull it out, two pieces broke off, so now there is a small piece of plastic sticking out. :willynilly: I guess I can grab onto it, but it does me no good, since it doesn't wanna come out. I gotta go to work in a little bit here, and I don't know if I'll play around with it tonight, because I might be going out. Either way, I'm hoping to have it out by the end of this weekend. Oh how I hope...