Winter tires

synistershadows

whats everyoness opinion on the best winter tires?

myself working at Kal-Tire knows about tires and have found that Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI's or RSI's for short are the best that i have found over Michilen and Bridgestone.

so whats you thoughts on tires?

My mom had the blizzacks on her grand am, great tires. But I paid about $50/tire less for my Dayton Winterforce's and they are just as good.

If you can find either tire on sale I'd pick up a set of 4.

Michilens winter tires can be compared to other companies all season tires, I've heard they suck.

Jamie

Hmm.

I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires for my car about a month ago for the Chicago winter, which are supposed to be all season tires. I hope they do well in the snow.

We have a set of Goodyear Nordics for my moms car and they are great. If your on super smooth ice, then they might not do as good as one that is more expensive, however they are molded to accept studs. I find they do almost as well as my studded uniroyal winter tires on sheer ice, and they perform better than mine in deep snow. I think they ran around 100$ a tire, so they're not all that expensive either.

i have mastercraft (cooper) ones (non-studded) and they were awesome last year. drove 10 miles in a foot of snow. idk how the fuck i made it. i only had them on the front, too. this year, ill have them on all 4's

We have a set of Goodyear Nordics for my moms car and they are great. If your on super smooth ice, then they might not do as good as one that is more expensive, however they are molded to accept studs. I find they do almost as well as my studded uniroyal winter tires on sheer ice, and they perform better than mine in deep snow. I think they ran around 100$ a tire, so they're not all that expensive either.

I have those Goodyear Nordic tires (Friends down south may not have them, they are made for c-tire exulsiveily apparently)..they are loud and look like a mudding tire but damn they grip well.

I have those Goodyear Nordic tires (Friends down south may not have them, they are made for c-tire exulsiveily apparently)..they are loud and look like a mudding tire but damn they grip well.

I might try these. Will they fit on a stock rim? ie my old sawblades

I know this doesn't seem to interest many people here, but would anyone care to comment on how well my tires do in the snow? If I find out they flat out suck, I'll have to get 2 snow tires for the front at the least, since I have to drive down my girlfriend's 500-foot gravel driveway every week all winter in Chicago, which I might add is very slightly uphill.

I have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 at 235/60/15.

I know this doesn't seem to interest many people here, but would anyone care to comment on how well my tires do in the snow? If I find out they flat out suck, I'll have to get 2 snow tires for the front at the least, since I have to drive down my girlfriend's 500-foot gravel driveway every week all winter in Chicago, which I might add is very slightly uphill.

I will tell you right now that putting 2 winter tires on the front of a vehicle is a Terrible Idea. For safety sake, you'd be better off keeping the 4 you have on there now. Sure you'll be able to move through more snow, but the handling will be terrible. If you get winter tires, install all 4, or none at all. (on a FWD, RWD can make due with just 2 in the back.) I've driven a car with 2 winter tires in the front and it was almost scary. Although it was fun in a big slippery parking lot :lol:

on my 98 contour, I have 2 winter tires only on the front and it makes huge difference driving/braking wise talking, for my daily driver is very good, I had those tires since last winter and they where great with no problems at all, I'm not saying that is recommended or nothing, just telling my experience with them. Have a safe winter :wink:

I will tell you right now that putting 2 winter tires on the front of a vehicle is a Terrible Idea. For safety sake, you'd be better off keeping the 4 you have on there now. Sure you'll be able to move through more snow, but the handling will be terrible. If you get winter tires, install all 4, or none at all. (on a FWD, RWD can make due with just 2 in the back.) I've driven a car with 2 winter tires in the front and it was almost scary. Although it was fun in a big slippery parking lot :lol:

very true RWD is ok only because they are not the steering tires ( they only have to push) as for FWD all 4 should be changed for safty reasons. As for thoes tires from what i know their supposed to be a summer performance or all season tire if i am correct and as for how thoes work in winter in my opinion rater down there with running bald tires in winter. dont get me wrong though they have tread and Would work but id highly recomend getting winter rims and tires.

but thats just my opinion