New guy and potential buyer

ShelbyCSX432

So, I'm new to the GM turbo world, but I'm looking at one of these Mclaren gran prix's. I've been reading about these things all day and still have a few questions. First off, what part of the exhaust is the crossover pipe, and how big of a performance item are they? Second, how do the stock fuel pumps hold up to bigger injectors? are they an item that I should replace right away? (when are bigger injectors needed also) What other items are need for upgrades besides custom burnt chips? It seems that these cars can be in the 13s with very little work and money. Also, how strong are these trannys? I'm really a manual fan, but have no problems with an auto besides knowing their true strength.

coming from the turbo dodge world, those cars are relatively easy to work on - how are these? I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but I want to know everything I can before I jump off into the unknown.

Thanks for your help

welcome. also check http://www.tgpforums.com, it is a specific forum, and a wider enthusiast base.

The crossover is the pipe that connects the front and rear manifolds together with the turbo. Factory was a poor design and you will find that 99% of the stock pipes have failed. Many cars actually received pipes under warranty, but GM never modified them and soon cracked again. There are replacement "aftermarket" ones available, but as far as we are all concerned, the GM is now aftermarket. :lol:

A few have done turbo swaps, an ever smaller few have done tranny swaps to manual. It can be done, I plan on doing it someday myself, when school is finished and I have the $$. The auto trannies seem to hold up pretty well for some, others have burned them up, but then again we have seen a couple of exploded 282 5 speeds as well.

The engine is pretty much standard 3.1L v6, with a few differences obviously. Either way they are fairly friendly, but if you know what you are doing you should have no problems figuring it out.

Stock fuel pump was also used for the Corvette of similar years, so you should be good up to at least 300-350 hp before needing to upgrade. Injectors are also an issue with some, causing poor running coniditions after almost 20 years. Should be expected to replace some of those as well.

I don't mean to be so forward, but you mentioned possible buyer. I have a TGP in excellent condition that needs very little. I don't know what your range is or what you are looking for, but if you are interested let me know and I would be happy to message you the info. Again, welcome, and be sure to check that other forum. It may take a while to be approved for membership but rest assured they will take care of it.

Welcome! Congrats on the interest to own a TGP. However, you should be aware of the level of commitment these cars really require. Most are still stock, with the exception of the crossover pipe, and upgraded plugs and wires. This has left many owners with the false assumption that these cars are money pits and junk, since many will not or cannot think outside the box. When you first buy a TGP, immediately have a tuneup done; it will save yourself a major headache later. My second TGP I bought, I have upgraded/replaced everything in there. She runs great now, and damn quick.

If you want performance, here are a few ideas: Replace the crossover, upgraded the fuel injectors (Ford Yellow Top C302 from http://www.five0motorsports.com are a direct drop in replacement, and are very cheap for the set), rebuild/upgrade the turbo, performance plugs and wires, a custom burnt chip from TGPilot (Kenny) since Jeff M. is on a permanent vacation...those are nice, basic things to replace.

If you want to get more serious, you can always build up the block. Port, polish, head work, maybe you even want to consider boring and stroking...the possibilities are not limited just because this is a V6...there are aftermarket parts out there, you just need to find them!

The BIG thing to remember is to ASK ASK ASK. If you have a question, post it here and on the TGPForums page, and there are so many people here who can help. Some have been working on these cars for the better part of a decade, some are beginners who can either chime in or relate and offer advice. And use the search button, as it comes in really handy.

Also, hate to steal RDubya's plot, but I, also, have a TGP which will need a home soon, and this one is already built up. Also is near excellent, needing nothing more than gas and someone to drive it since I never have time. If you want more details, message me and I'll send them to you.

Welcome!

It may take a while to be approved for membership but rest assured they will take care of it.

I usually visit the board at least a minute or two every day, so approval doesn't take long. In his case, I took care of it 16mins after he registered. :lol:

ok, so that answers the first questions. I'll have to say, after visiting the other forum you guys told me about, I have so many more questions it's not even funny. I'm starting to get a little spooked to be honest. I guess it's because different guys seem to have good luck, and others bad luck. I'm gonna check tomorrow and use the search feature to read more, but I'm gonna be back to ask more Q's, thats for sure. It just amazes me how much of a difference the motors are from the turbo dodges I've been working on the past 2 years.

No disrespect intended Matt, I actually forgot about the new moderator! I recall a month or two ago someone was waiting for approval and mentioned it here, after he was referred to the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so that answers the first questions. I'll have to say, after visiting the other forum you guys told me about, I have so many more questions it's not even funny. I'm starting to get a little spooked to be honest. I guess it's because different guys seem to have good luck, and others bad luck. I'm gonna check tomorrow and use the search feature to read more, but I'm gonna be back to ask more Q's, thats for sure. It just amazes me how much of a difference the motors are from the turbo dodges I've been working on the past 2 years.

hey man i'm also a TD guy have lots of them from a 10 sec omni to spirit R/T i just bought a TGP last weak

i love the car it is much more of a car then any TD. but like you i would like to get it in the low 13's. i'm trying to figure out how. these cars are not as simple as a turbo dodge. i'm just shuffling though every thing trying to find the best way.

If you want a faster car, consider more than just the engine upgrades; remember to keep your TGP on a diet. Lose the spare tire, if you're going for a strip car and not passenger, lose the seats, auto trans is heavier than a manual so perhaps a manual trans is an option for you?

Basically, give her a REAL GOOD tune up, buy a chip from Kenny, lose some weight on her, upgrade your turbo, upgrade the fuel system, and upgrade the exhaust. Just some ideas to keep in mind.