jack stands on frame rails??

gpchris

God did you even read the post?? …Seriously I know you can place the stands on the pinch rails or subframe but considering the subframe mounts to the frame rails you'd think it would be safest to put them there. Besides my pinch rails arent getting any younger.. I just seen a w-body without any gastank/subframes and you could clearly see the frame rails and how the subframes mount to them. In time I'll be doing quite a bit of work and i'd like to have it off the ground for a few months to work on it.

Well depending on how your using the Pinch Welds... you risk crushing them. I crunched them on my other car (partly because im a dumb ass and i was drunk). Ive had my gp up on the rails for long periods it was totally fine. I would actually say that that is the best spot to do it IMO.

Ok and just to make sure we are talking about these:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

And NOT the pinch rails RIGHT??

I just gotta make sure because i dont wana F*** my car up.

Holy shit! I thought my undercarriage was clean!! :sanyd:

Ok and just to make sure we are talking about these:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

And NOT the pinch rails RIGHT??

I just gotta make sure because i dont wana F*** my car up.

Holy shit! I thought my undercarriage was clean!! :sanyd:

Yeah that GTP is gorgeous....FULLY re'done

OK... i dont think that the car in the pics is a grand prix... you can buy a type of jack stand (two of them) and put your car on them and swing your car sideways like that. Its pretty fucking cool, soooo perfect for exhaust jobs or cleaning the piss out of the bottom of your car. Also in the owners manual it sais to use the pinch welds... but im pretty sure (correct me if im wrong) the scissor jack that comes with the car has a notch in it so that it doesnt actually USE the pinch weld just whats above it. btw i have the company name and part number for those jacks if anyone is interested.

Well it is a grand prix.. a 2nd gen grand prix. And Are you talking about a rotisserie?? I dont think its safe to put your car on one with the engine still in it. And yes i'm interested If you can get me a cheap one.

wow!!! that is one damn clean gp!!! Ill check the price when i go to work tomorrow. And to go off topic you should go to the meet that is coming up soon. Me, Shocktherapy, and theoneliln are going for sure (as far as people from around here goes).

Well it is a grand prix.. a 2nd gen grand prix. And Are you talking about a rotisserie?? I dont think its safe to put your car on one with the engine still in it. And yes i'm interested If you can get me a cheap one.

Yeah, definitely not safe to put anything more than the shell of a car on a rotisserie, they are not made to carry all that weight. I seem to recall seeing pictures (not here) where someone put the car on one, engine and all, and when they turned it over the rotisserie snapped and the cars roof was caved in.

I normally would use the frame rails to hold up the car, unless I'm working at my dads, he has jacks that are made to accommodate unibody cars with a groove for the pinch weld to slide down into. I find getting the stands out farther to the sides like that gives you more room to move around underneath the car.

Jamie

Jamie, can you post pics of said jack stands?

Not of his specifically. My parents house is 2+ hours away and I'm not sure when I will be there next. I was able to find this pic on Google, the stand to the far right is almost identical, but my dads are orange. The groove fits the pinch welds on my car perfectly.

n_81004.jpg

They look tiny next to the 6 and 12 ton stands, lol. They get my car high enough for me, in fact we can't put the car to the very top because my dads jacks don't go high enough. (the one he has that does go high enough disappeared, probably to my brothers garage)

Jamie

Yeah, definitely not safe to put anything more than the shell of a car on a rotisserie, they are not made to carry all that weight. I seem to recall seeing pictures (not here) where someone put the car on one, engine and all, and when they turned it over the rotisserie snapped and the cars roof was caved in.

they do make systems capable of turning the whole car (90* anyway).

I got a catalog from the Eastwood Company in the mail today and saw one... I looked a little closer and saw it was a 1.5 gen Lumina! figures lol.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=21187&itemType=PRODUCT

catalog pic only showed the underside of the car.

anyways. sorry for the hi-jack.