1989 3.1 No Start

briandors

1989 Regal, 3.1, around 150k miles.

This is my dad's car. Unfortunately he tends to do the absolute bare minimum to keep it running and won't be convinced to keep up with the small problems before they turn huge. So he was driving the car for months with it idling poorly. Bad enough that at red lights he'd have to throw it into Neutral to keep it from stalling.

The exhaust developed a large rust hole and he took it to an exhaust shop. They deemed the catalytic converter past its life (it's original) and replaced it. Lowered it off the lift and the car wouldn't start. We had it towed home.

I checked fuel pressure, 40+ psi ignition on and stays strong through cranking.

Checked for spark, got spark everywhere. Tried spraying starting fluid into the intake as he cranked the car over and sure enough got it to start and run if I keep spraying.

Noid light test at injectors good so I think the ECM is working right.

Resistance through injectors all very close.

Ign. module was failing ONLY the high RPM test, we replaced it anyway and the new module was tested before installation and passed everything.

Only code 12 comes back from the ECM.

The gas tank and fuel pump are under a year old.

Why won't this thing start? If you're lucky you get a bit of a cough during crank, and then that's it.

I've heard that besides fuel pressure I should consider fuel volume. Anyone got two cents on that topic?

Thanks

Brian

The noid light test passed, it flashed on all injector harnesses. So the fuse must be good.

( A noid light is a special diagnostic bulb you plug in place of an injector to see if the ECM is giving the injector an electrical pulse to fire. )

well code 12 is nothing, just the code showin that the diagnostic is working, it is not a fault code...

hmm... compression seems good to check, I would think fuel filter, but if you have 40 at the rail, that is probably not the problem...

umm..... shit, this one kinda has me stumped... check all fuses and relays possibly or it could be the computer... I really don't know...

you checked all 6 injectors? (pulled the upper intake) Something's not allowing fuel into the combustion chamber it sounds like, especially if you say you can get it running and stay running w/ starter fluid. Maybe one or more injectors are just not spraying, especially since you said it was idling like crap all this time. Have you pulled any plugs to check condition, evidence of fuel starvation in a cylinder or more?

I had a VERY similar problem, although my converter had not been replaced.

I know it seems a little retarded, but take out a spark plug and see if it tries to start.

My story:

1989 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1L VIN T:

No start - only a small hint of trying to start for a millisecond.

The people I bought this car from had tried everything, the whole slew of parts, even an engine (used but running), still no start.

Listening to the intake when cranking engine, I noticed a completely different sound, not suction, but just air moving back and forth.

Took out a spark plug and it ran. - Excessive backpressure was the cause of the no start.

Removed Cat and car started and ran perfectly.

Originally, I bought the car for $300 and didn't even have a clue as to what was wrong with it. I paid $75 to have it taken to my house.

But a 27 inch piece of 2.25 inch pipe and 2 clamps later, I was driving it, and still am cause it has Air Conditioning for these hot days.

Would be a total concidence though. Especially if it is supposed to be a new converter.