CV Joints?

gmrulz4u

Guest TurboSedan

'clicking' noise when turning, ripped boots. pull the wheels off and inspect the CV boots. if they are ripped then more than likely the grease has run out causing joint failure. i've never rebuilt a CV joint or rebooted one, i would rather just go buy a new axle. they aren't very expensive anyway.

joshua

There will be crackling, like knuckles, when you turn. Also, vibration at higher speeds.

Yes, ripped boots are a definite indication. If the boot rips, but you notice it right away, you can replace just the boot. You need to remove the axle to do that. I wouldn't want to do it more often than necessary, it's easier to replace tha axle while you are at it and save yourself the trouble of repeating the work. A driveaxle is $112.60 at carparts.com, so you could probably get it for the same price or less locally. If you find a company that specializes in rebuilding them, you could get them very cheap.

As far as rebuilding a CV joint yourself goes, it's not worth the time and effort.

Guest TurboSedan
A driveaxle is $112.60 at carparts.com, so you could probably get it for the same price or less locally. If you find a company that specializes in rebuilding them, you could get them very cheap.

As far as rebuilding a CV joint yourself goes, it's not worth the time and effort.

yes. if you get an axle locally tho, you can use your old shaft as a core. so an axle should definately be under $100. you will need a slide hammer to get the axle out of the tranny tho, but some people have had luck using other tools (?). my 9lb. slide hammer was $18 at harbor freight and it works great.

joshua

I have replaced both outer CV joint boots on an '88 Cutty and it was pretty easy. Not much more additional work (maybe 15-minutes more?) and saved over $40 so it was worth it. Even if it took 2hrs additional, it would be worth saving $40 because I don't make $20/hr at my job.

RICH!!! I wish! I'm just a web programmer for a university (state employee - we don't get paid much). But I'm with MaD on this one... I'm definitely pretty eccentric and if I had a ton of money, I probably would throw $100k of mods into my W-bodies rather than blow it on a Porsche or BMW M5.