..........COMP Cams on LHO

zlozlo

No shit, which is why I typically discourage swapping that engine, but I don't see the point on camming a naturally aspirated 3.1.

I give up with these threads. No one's actually followed through with their "big 3.1 plans!!!" yet, so I'm not even going to worry about it.

I am running the Crane 2020 in my LG5, I don't know if that will apply to any questions you may have, and I guess I don't know what you are looking for, but my engine is identical to yours except the turbo, and possibly the pistons and crank, don't know if anyone has actually verified that or not.

Do ya notice any difference?

I think you have to run mild on turbos though. I want mine to have a nasty idle, good power form 1300 to 5000 rpm and still pass emissions. Over the summer Im going to buy a reconditioned block and build it up. Im going with roller lifters, 1.6 roller tipped rockers, ported heads and S&S modified Grand Am headers. This is going to take a bit of time though as I got college next year. Right now Im worring about paying for the drive back and forth to college after the lowering springs go in.

I had a Crane H-272 in my old 3.1. With the 1.6 ratio rockers it had a lift of around .485 intake/ .500? Exhaust (Don't quote me) it ran awesome, very responsive off the line and would pull to near 5000 rpm, which os good for that motor :lol:. I say go for it.

hell yeah! Well actually it wasn't too bad, it was plenty streetable. I recommend having the idle raised via the ECM chip to maybe 800 rpm's, won't give you a problem.

Any other modifications necessary to run the cam? Did it pass emissions without the use of an alternative source? What was you gas mileage? Yeah I know, Im bombarding you with freakin questions. Thanks

My car is slightly lopey but not very noticeable, doesn't miss or anything, however I think it is in order for a good tuning to make it run to its full potential.

I really should have just gone stock, best way to get more power is to make it breath better, not longer, like porting exhaust sides of the heads and manifolds, as well as a larger snail.

Any other modifications necessary to run the cam? Did it pass emissions without the use of an alternative source? What was you gas mileage? Yeah I know, Im bombarding you with freakin questions. Thanks

I ran with LS6 valve springs. You need something stiffer than stock (Crane gives you the recommended specs) LS6's were spot on except a little bit stiffer when the valve was closed. No big deal. I never ran it thru inspection when I had it on the road, fuel economy was about the same.

very responsive off the line and would pull to near 5000 rpm

instead of the stock where it stops pulling at like 3400rpms......

oh...and for the record, some of you were saying cams it's singular...cam lol

Do ya notice any difference?

I think you have to run mild on turbos though. I want mine to have a nasty idle, good power form 1300 to 5000 rpm and still pass emissions. Over the summer Im going to buy a reconditioned block and build it up. Im going with roller lifters, 1.6 roller tipped rockers, ported heads and S&S modified Grand Am headers. This is going to take a bit of time though as I got college next year. Right now Im worring about paying for the drive back and forth to college after the lowering springs go in.

I don't know what roller lifter you're gonna use though. You can't use the 3100 roller lifters since the oiling system is different in those motors (the lifters would starve in your motor) Plus the flat tappet cams and lifters are readily available for your motor, unlike the 3100's which everything has to be custom made. Even the roller tip rockers are unnecessary. If I had your application, I'd get a crane H-260 cam, new lifters, 3100 stamped steel 1.6 ratio rockers ('94-95 model years have this, direct bolt-on) adjustable rocker studs meant for the iron headed 2.8's (early-mid 80's engines) so you can properly adjust the valvetrain, and throw in LS6 valve springs, spring seats and retainers. See this is why I want to pick up a LH0 car cheap, I'd do just this for fun.

No one's actually followed through with their "big 3.1 plans!!!" yet, so I'm not even going to worry about it.

ummm... ya... but on the same note i am not N/A

really though the LG5 is the same story, not much different save the heads (?) and crank. You aren't going to gain much at all, in fact probably lose some power if you are shoving more air in there without a larger exit. Unless you are going to spend the money to boost this car, a cam isn't going to get you much more HP, just a bit of a lope and hesitation if not tuned right.