Polishing Plastic Lenses

slick

How would one go about polishing plastic headlamp lenses? Mine show a bit of wear and tear from being on the road, and they're is a bit of hazing. I know it could all come out, but what do I use?

Thanks!

Chris, if you just want to clean them up, what I always did with use some 3M rubbing compound (brown girtty stuff). Rub that stuff in a couple of times, then wipe off with a wet towel, then use some polishing compound. I got to where I did that about once a year and it kept the yellowing off and kept them fairly clear. If you want to redo the finish on them, do like I said in that PM.

Lexan is easy !!! Meguiars Plastic-X with a white scotch-brite pad. Buff it with a microfiber towel on an orbital buffer at around 1,500 rpms, which I have...

if you want help id love to do it for you

Lexan is easy !!! Meguiars Plastic-X with a white scotch-brite pad. Buff it with a microfiber towel on an orbital buffer at around 1,500 rpms, which I have...

if you want help id love to do it for you

Well... I went ahead and started Robby's sand paper process on the one lense, but I might bring them both over. I'll go ahead and finish up the one lense mostly, then i'll bring the other lense as is. I have the Scratch X now, so I guess I need to find a white scotch-brite pad. Where can I get one of these at?

post the sandpaper method. I'm doing the camaro lenses (among other things) in this order: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, cleaner compound, polishing compound, sealer.

post the sandpaper method. I'm doing the camaro lenses (among other things) in this order: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, cleaner compound, polishing compound, sealer.

Definately post pictures!

Ok, so I got the white buffing pads at Home Depot in the cleaning aisle. I ended up walking through the tool aisle just to see if I could find any good deals on any tools. I ended up finding some buffing wheels (for coarse buffing then for polishing).

So... I came home, used the sratch x and white scotch brite pad, and did that. I then took the coarse buffing wheel to it, and WOW, sooooo much clearer! I put another coat of scratch x on it then took the polishing wheel on, and went to town. Even more clear!

These lights look 100x better. Still not the crystal clear stock, but close. A few more times with the buffer, and they should look perfect.

BTW, I need to post pics from before and after.

That's what I did. I started with 220 though (it's what came in the multipack).

was there a clearcoat that you had to sand past? My d/s headlight had a "faded thru" spot where it looks like clearcoat that chalked up, and even after doing 400 grit, then moving up I could see this spot. I have un pic:

3-18-07010.jpg

See the top right?

One more after taken apart, where it's obvious (this was after using 400ish grit)

3-18-07012.jpg

Yep, mine had a few spots like that. I pretty much had to even them out with the sandpaper.

I have to re-apply clear coat before I install them on the Bonneville.

Did you paint the housing black while they were apart?

I'm doing them in charcoal metallic or black metallic. haven't decided.

Thanks, yeah I MIGHT reapply clearcoat to them too, before going back on.