Would a 3.1 Turbo bolt up?

OldsmoBeast

I've got a 3.1 N/A right now in the Beast and i'm getting sick of her. I love how ugly the car is getting.......no that's not sarcasm.....i'm a big fan of sleepers......i want to have an UGLY car (which i already get comments about) that can beat the shit out of anything on the road. I saw a TGP at the local canadian tire the other day (yes this time it was a real TGP i was walking by and i saw it up close, ontario 7-digit plates) and I was thinking 'There's GOTTA be a Turbo grand prix somewhere in ontario that i can buy and restore or part out and use for the cutty...' i'd need to save up or maybe borrow from the parents (like they would.....) but I really want to do it. Before I can let myself consider it i have to work out the feasability of the operation. I know its swappable, but will it be an easy swap? can i just plug the new engine's harness into the firewall connector or am i going to have to go through a whole shitload of wiring?

Thanks

YK

I think in 91+ the AC wiring circuit was different, so you would have to adapt that. However, it is pretty much plug and play. You will NEED the tranny with the TGP motor

Robby

so lets consider the best case scenario: Lets say i got an engine in perfect condition with all accessories, the computer, transmission, all of it......how hard would it be to plug it in?

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to be slapping a Garrett t3 turbo on my 90 in aug, need a turbo, downpipe, crossover, intercooler, chip (4 degrees advanced), 2 bar map sensor, flanges, silicone hose, lines for coolant and oil, and a gauge is nice.

If you dont set the turbo over 9 lbs boost, the tranny should hold and the motor, if its in good shape, should take it without issues.

Im going to be puttin newer heads, gaskets, fuel injectors and boring the TB a bit.

I plan on running the turbo at 14 lbs boost then worry bout the tranny after it bombs out.

-Jeff

I think in 91+ the AC wiring circuit was different, so you would have to adapt that. However, it is pretty much plug and play. You will NEED the tranny with the TGP motor

Robby

wont need the tranny... unless your car is newer then 92.. the 92 and lower had the 4T60 which is like to the TGP, but the 93 and up had the 4T60E electronic... that tranny sux....

also, you dont need an ECM, just a chip... im doin a turbo conversion on a vin T motor that is non turbo, although im goin all out and doing EVERYTHING... pretty much the onlything that will remain stock is the block.

lemme know if there is anything that im missing

- Justin

I plan on running the turbo at 14 lbs boost then worry bout the tranny after it bombs out.

-Jeff

im runnin 23 pounds street on pump gas and 28 pounds track off 118 octaine. but im doing complete feul and engine management also...

- Justin

Robby

wont need the tranny... unless your car is newer then 92.. the 92 and lower had the 4T60 which is like to the TGP, but the 93 and up had the 4T60E electronic... that tranny sux....

also, you dont need an ECM, just a chip... im doin a turbo conversion on a vin T motor that is non turbo, although im goin all out and doing EVERYTHING... pretty much the onlything that will remain stock is the block.

- Justin

y not even replace the block im sure therre is a good aftermarket block out therre

uh not for a cutlass i have a 1988 that is a disguised offical pace car replica. it has the sorry 2.8 but i'll just bore it out and get the intake off a tgp and then find a programable turbo chip that fits the engine and get a oil cooler and a transmission cooler and a power steering fluid cooler and a brake fluid cooler. also add on a dual oil filter setup. I'll keep the same engine block i have and rebuild it when it dies and buy a turbo charged and intercooled engine intake off a 3.1 in a junk yard near by me.oh and i'll have valve ported and polished to. that way i can keep my current transmission to.

Guest TurboSedan

- Justin

the TGP 4T60 IS stronger than the n/a version of it. i'm not sure how but it is. i have much more faith in my 5-speed than any automatic i could put in my car, so thankfully i don't have to worry about automatics (more like clutches). i was going to turbocharge my VIN 'T' n/a 3.1 until i found my '90 TSTE engine VIN 'V' (sitting on my garage floor at the moment). so i have alot of extra TGP parts laying around and someday when i can borrow a digicam i'll be ebaying the stuff off. my VIN 'T' engine (currently in the car) is really healthy even tho it has high miles. i'll probably keep it around for a spare...

at first i'm just going to run the TGP engine stock with the T25 and custom chip for use with 5-speed, new clutch, and i'll be doing the head gaskets, intake gaskets, oil pump, fuel pump, injectors, DSM 1g BOV, etc. further down the road tho i'd like to rebuild it with lower compression pistons, run a Garret T3 and custom crossover, bigger FMIC, alcohol injection, another custom chip, etc.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
can i just plug the new engine's harness into the firewall connector or am i going to have to go through a whole shitload of wiring?

Thanks

YK

you should be able to. i'm using a '90 Grand Prix engine wiring harness in my '91 Cutlass and it connected up to the firewall plug without any problems. i'm not sure what year of car you have, but you may have to swap out your digital EGR for a TGP style vacuum EGR, and then route the wires that went to your digital EGR to the control the wastegate solenoid (i've never done this but this is what i've heard). remember you have to swap in a TGP chip for this to work. i'm going to route full manifold pressure to the wastegate solenoid to run the lowest boost possible at first to be safe, then i think i might just use a grainger valve set to 8psi (or so?) and not even use the stock wastegate solenoid. i'll try keeping the stock wastegate at first and see how it does.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
uh not for a cutlass i have a 1988 that is a disguised offical pace car replica. it has the sorry 2.8 but i'll just bore it out and get the intake off a tgp and then find a programable turbo chip that fits the engine and get a oil cooler and a transmission cooler and a power steering fluid cooler and a brake fluid cooler. also add on a dual oil filter setup. I'll keep the same engine block i have and rebuild it when it dies and buy a turbo charged and intercooled engine intake off a 3.1 in a junk yard near by me.oh and i'll have valve ported and polished to. that way i can keep my current transmission to.

i'd ditch that '88 2.8 MAF engine and start with a newer lower mileage 3.1 in good shape to avoid hassles. just my opinion

joshua

i'd ditch that '88 2.8 MAF engine and start with a newer lower mileage 3.1 in good shape to avoid hassles. just my opinion

joshua

yeah, much easier to turbo a MAP car than a MAF, IMO. And, 92turboLE, the reason I said he needs the tranny is b/c of what Malibuolds said. A n/a 4T60 will blow up under the power a turbo would put out. But, IMO, if your doing all the work to turbo a n/a motor, might as well go 5spd.

Robby