non airbag steering wheel

greencutlassdrvr

ok so they have steering wheel adapters for 94and down wbodies.... would they still work on 95+? im ok with eliminating my cruise control and air bag

ok so they have steering wheel adapters for 94and down wbodies.... would they still work on 95+? im ok with eliminating my cruise control and air bag

not worth doing.... not safe... etc etc.

even though I have an airbag issue on 2 of mine.... I have it disabled until I learn to fix it. and I will be fixing it.

what year is your car?

With how miserably unsafe the first-gens are, there's now way I'd ditch the air bag.

i would not call w-bodys miserably unsafe... i can attest to that. they aren't any 5 star safety winnters, but they aren't THAT bad. at least not as bad as say a daewoo lanos.

that said. if i had a w car with an airbag i still would not disable it.

xlike a billion on the Airbag.. I had the original idea of disabling the airbag because I don't like them, but I think keeping them there is probably a good idea..

..There are other GM Airbag wheels you can probably use and still have work properly, so start looking around.. I was tossing around the idea of a Cadillac one; from like a 99 STS or something (Yea, with the wood on it!)

Diversion of topic time!!!

I was thinking or figuring out how to disable the passeneger side airbag in such a manner that it could be enabled or disabled, just like is done in some pickups, and simliar to how the modern Impala, malibu and such do as well. No need to blow a windshield if I am the only one if the car, afterall.

thoughts?

ive seen plenty off accidents in 1st gens and they held up awesome. my sister got t-boned at 35 and all she needed was a new pass door. noone was hurt at all. that being said, dont get rid of the airbag.

if the car gets into a big enough accident that the bags deploy, a windshield probably isn't a huge deal, ya know. I think it's a waste of time to try it and get it to work right with the older system, but thats me.

It can be done. We had to have both the driver and pass. bags switched because it could kill my wife if they went off.

does that disable both airbags? or just one while leaving the other enabled?

if the car gets into a big enough accident that the bags deploy, a windshield probably isn't a huge deal, ya know. I think it's a waste of time to try it and get it to work right with the older system, but thats me.

well I have seen occasionally a W in a minor accident where the bags deploy. If I am a 500 miles from home and get in a minor accident that deploys the airbags..... I'm up a creek without a paddle if I have to sit on my ass while someone installs a new windsheild just so I can drive home. I can deal with a single blown airbag with a pocket knife, but not a hole in my glass.

I dont much care for airbags myself, so I'll speak from just the appearance issue alone that a wheel from a square column car, or an aftermarket one will look like shit. Never understood that fad...

well I have seen occasionally a W in a minor accident where the bags deploy. If I am a 500 miles from home and get in a minor accident that deploys the airbags..... I'm up a creek without a paddle if I have to sit on my ass while someone installs a new windsheild just so I can drive home. I can deal with a single blown airbag with a pocket knife, but not a hole in my glass.

Yea, and I can see that as a good thing on vehicles equipped with it. BUT, to toy with the older system and hope that nothing goes wrong (such as accidentally triggering the airbag, and blowing your windshield) then to be sure after such modification, will the system will even work properly in the event of an accident? Knowing GM they probably sent that seat sensor signal thru the BCM, and we all know how that goes! This is one of those wiring modifications that you MUST have a 100% success rate. Mess up wiring to a custom stereo is no big deal. To an airbag system, it is.

The "SRS" system isn't supposed to go off on a minor collision. I've seen cutlasses/GP's in the junkyard with minor damage, and non-deployed airbags. MAYBE the seat sensor can be done, but I think the airbag system is just something not to be tampered with. Either leave it be or just take the whole thing out. And besides, if you can drive home with front end damage, what's the difference if the pass side of the windshield is smacked up?

But again that's just me :mrgreen:

I wish I had pics to share of my drive home after i totaled my first W. nothing like buying new headlight bulbs and electical taping them to the front of the car..... just to have lights.

I wire things right... if I couldn't do it I wouldn't. for now the fuse is just pulled.

I know I always "duck and cover" when I'm about to reinstall that fuse :lol: (usually after swapping the D/S airbag)

:lol: I do the same thing! And I'll hide under the column when I'm turning the key on for the first time since reinstalling the fuse/bags.

• 3 weeks later...