Calipers: Red or Silver

97loudcut

What color should I paint my brake calipers?  

1. 1. What color should I paint my brake calipers?

i dont know if you got calipers yet so...

id get bear brakes calipers they come red and are great brakes

I like the red look personaly IMO the red black combo looks really good

You mean Baer? I doubt they make calipers for our cars.

ya!

But its worth a shot to check.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Marchi1

• per0781

• 5speedz34

I know for a fact they dont, plus who where would pay the money that they want for those brake upgrades. Most of them are $500+ if not more.

Yeah, no shit.

I think I'll do red. When people see the car I want their attention directed towards the wheels. I have nice and shiney cross drilled and slotted rotors. Some red calipers will be a nice addition, thanks guys!

then you'll be giving unwanted attention to the rotors when they crack

there are a few 11 & 12 second GP's with slotted/drilled rotors that havent cracked...dunno why everyone seems to think they'll crack!?... :rolleyes:

Ignorance and/or lack of knowledge about the part being discussed.

there are a few 11 & 12 second GP's with slotted/drilled rotors that havent cracked...dunno why everyone seems to think they'll crack!?... :rolleyes:

Ignorance and/or lack of knowledge about the part being discussed.

Also related to quality of parts bought, and the wonderful internet taking one persons misfortune and amplifying it.

Personally I bought blanks, after much dscussion with some engineers at GM. Mainly becuase I want to keep it a little stealthy and not draw to much attention to the big brakes on the car, make them think it was an OEM thing.

cross drilled/slotted rotors serve a cosmetic purpose only. companies such as baer, stoptech, and wildwood have admitted to it. if you seriously think any car will stop faster because of those rotors, then you're the ignorant one.

cross drilled/slotted rotors serve a cosmetic purpose only. companies such as baer, stoptech, and wildwood have admitted to it. if you seriously think any car will stop faster because of those rotors, then you're the ignorant one.

To a point, when you get past a cetain diameter the rotors start getting expensive and weighing LOTS so they utilize the drilled rotors to reduce rotational mass.

Oh so that's why they come on performance cars such as the z06, Porsche's, and Ferrari's.

Oh so that's why they come on performance cars such as the z06, Porsche's, and Ferrari's.

Because they can call them high-performane brakes and charge more money for them. Car companies are out to sell cars and the general population sees drilled or slotted rotors as a premium or "high-performance" braking characteristic.

Plus, they look pretty.

Also, remember that the brakes on a street car will never ever see the extreme conditions that a track car sees, so the fact that surface area and anti-warping characteristics are lost in a drilled rotor doesn't really matter.

This subject has been beaten to death and the guys who know what they are talking about recommend a large diameter, blank rotor with an aggressive pad and sticky tires for maximum braking.

Drilled, slotted, dimpled or whatever rotors look nice but do not aid in braking. They are fine for 95% of drivers, but aren't really acceptable for track use. It's all about making $$$$$.

To a point, when you get past a cetain diameter the rotors start getting expensive and weighing LOTS so they utilize the drilled rotors to reduce rotational mass.

why would you want to reduce the size of a heatsink? Blanks have more surface area, therefore they can absorb and release more heat than drilled rotors.

Rotors are basically heatsinks.

Lets make a comparison to computer processor heatsinks.

Do you see any holes in the mating surface between the heatsink and the processor? No. Its a solid surface. The fins on the opposite side dissipate the heat with the aid of a fan (or no fins and liquid cooling, but thats a different situation). Think of the fins and the fan as air running through the fins between the two friction surfaces of the rotors.

Not the best anylogy (there are dynamic differences in the two situations), but hopefully you get the idea.

Brake pad hits rotor which makes a gas. the drilled and sloted rotors allow the gas to escape. When the gas is formed it pushs the pad off the rotor. So if you drill and slot it the gas is released therefore the pad stays on the rotor therefore making you stop faster. It has been proven. Plus the drilled and sloted allow brake dust to get out from between the pad and rotor. overall they are better brakes.

flat rotors<drilled and slotted rotors

Brake pad hits rotor which makes a gas. the drilled and sloted rotors allow the gas to escape. When the gas is formed it pushs the pad off the rotor. So if you drill and slot it the gas is released therefore the pad stays on the rotor therefore making you stop faster. It has been proven. Plus the drilled and sloted allow brake dust to get out from between the pad and rotor. overall they are better brakes.

Actually this WAS true years ago with "performance" brake pads. The old resins would "gas out" when they heated up. The materials used on high end brake pads now will barely do this, if at all.

why would you want to reduce the size of a heatsink? Blanks have more surface area, therefore they can absorb and release more heat than drilled rotors.

Rotors are basically heatsinks.

Lets make a comparison to computer processor heatsinks.

Do you see any holes in the mating surface between the heatsink and the processor? No. Its a solid surface. The fins on the opposite side dissipate the heat with the aid of a fan (or no fins and liquid cooling, but thats a different situation). Think of the fins and the fan as air running through the fins between the two friction surfaces of the rotors.

Not the best anylogy (there are dynamic differences in the two situations), but hopefully you get the idea.

Did you miss the whole "done to reduce rotational mass" part of the discussion?

Actually this WAS true years ago with "performance" brake pads. The old resins would "gas out" when they heated up. The materials used on high end brake pads now will barely do this, if at all.

Exactly, the change from the asbestos (sp?) to carbon metallic changed to property of the pad, if you can find, or have a stockpile of, the old style pad then you have a concern about "out-gassing" from the pad. the new pads do not have this issue as you are not dealing with the same resins and materials.

The technology change from the pads 10-15 years ago has virtually elminiated the out-gassing phenomen.

I went through the whole gambit of slotted vs. drilled slotted vs. blanks right before I did my upgrade, and after some in depth discussion with Engineers at GM and Ford in the vehicle dyanmics labs I came out with the blanks as my rotor size increase was only 1" from OEM. If you go to a rotor over 12.5" they seriously consider using the drilled and slotted rotors to decrease the rotational mass of the brake assembly, not to increase braking ability, they also move to the aluminum caliper to increase the ability to bleed off the heat generated during braking so that they don't have a big cast iron caliper (i.e. our OEM stuff) as a huge heat sink.

Yay!! Awesome technical discussion going on. Keep it coming.

Sorry about that, I know it started out as Red Vs. Silver calipers and we went on a total tangent from that.

My apologies humble sir....:worshippy:

Yay!! Awesome technical discussion going on. Keep it coming.

Sorry about that, I know it started out as Red Vs. Silver calipers and we went on a total tangent from that.

My apologies humble sir....:worshippy:

I think he's serious.