any way to get more power out of a 2004 3400 V6?

MonteCarloMan

My monte, has the stock 3400 rated at i believe 180, but some sites have it listed at 160. I have a friend who has a 97-98 grand prix coupe that he put the dual exhaust from a GTP car. Besides doing that (and since my rear fascia has the 'dent's for the secondary exhaust tip :biggrin:, so that wont be a problem there), what else can i do to get more oomph out of this engine. My warranty is already expired and the car is only 3 years old :willynilly:, so i am not worried about voiding anything.

:gears:

pardon my arrogance, but what is a L67 swap. As for my friends grand prix he originally only had a single exhaust pipe running from the exhaust manifold to the cat, to the muffler. his new pipe is more like a 'Y' design. He may not have any noticeable increase in power, but damn does his car sound nice. I am leaning towards a flowmaster or a borla setup if I can't find a good condition SS exhaust system. What about the O2 censor will that be able to be used on the replacement system? My car has the CHECK engine light lit on my gauge cluster, and my dad said it's because the car needs a new O2 censor anyway :P.

:gears:

3400 + turbo = power. Id MUCH rather do that than an L67 swap.

that would be sweet, but does anyone make a turbo kit for the 3400?

As for my friends grand prix he originally only had a single exhaust pipe running from the exhaust manifold to the cat, to the muffler. his new pipe is more like a 'Y' design.

if he only had a single muffler on his GT then a previous owner must have put that exhaust there off a SE. GT and GTP's have the same exact dual exhaust.

sounds like you have a lot to learn about our cars. before you do anything, fix it so you dont get the SES light. did your dad use a scan tool when he told you it needs a new O2?

Go to 60degreev6.com site store:

3500 sfi upper intake (you'll need to grab the correct map sensor too)

65mm throttle body and adapter

get it tuned but if not, you'll still feel a little something from that. It gives you a lot more throttle response and mid-range power too.

well I was wrong about the grand prix it is NOT a GT but a SE, but it has the facsia with the grille between the lights instead of lower in the bumper like the earlier GP sedans that came out in the 97 model year. He added the GT's rear wing and wheels/tires from a salvage yard. Yes my dad did have the car plugged into different scan tools and they gave him the same code, which i don't know cause i wasn't there. he was told the code was most likely a O2 sensor. I do know a lot about these cars, just not the INTIMATE details like the number/letter code for the individual engines etc. My general knowledge lays in the F bodies and corvettes :mrgreen:.

that would be sweet, but does anyone make a turbo kit for the 3400?

I don't think turbo...but theres a procharger kit out there I think. ATI i think has it.

thats good i like it. id love to see that. do it. do it. do it. :smile:

its been done...alot of J-body guys and Grand Am guys are doing it

Yes. All the second-gens did.

exhaust, u-bend delete, dp, 3500 Inake MAnafold, larger TB, FWI or CAI, cam, headers, PCM tune, I think I got the big ones.

I'm not sure what good headers are going to do. I doubt that engine outflows it's current maniifolds.

I'm not sure what good headers are going to do. I doubt that engine outflows it's current maniifolds.

the headers will give you a smoother, less restrictive flow, which is always good. But at $800 (i believe) a pop, I don;t know how much HP per $$$ will be acheived. and like most mods, it's really the supporting mods that you add that will make the one mod benificial.

exhaust, u-bend delete, dp, 3500 Inake MAnafold, larger TB, FWI or CAI, cam, headers, PCM tune, I think I got the big ones.

ANYTHING is better than those POS logs GM gives. If I could bolt on stock 3800 manifolds I'd bet that alone would help.

Is a stock 3500 manifold better than a 3400 manifold? Thought i read somewhere they were worse.

Also i know a ported 3500 is the way to go and to add a 65mm TB

except for the 3900 and 3500 MC's, but I and would imagine that goes with the other W's as well.

yeah all the 3rd gen W-bodies didnt have U-bends, just resonators