Wiring questions!

Dirty Rockstar

..Can anyone confirm or deny something for me:

The 1994-6 Grand Prix and 95-7 Cutty dash harnesses: Are they identical? As in, will the 95 dash harness work in a 96, despite the 96 being OBD2? I am uncertain of this and would like to know by Friday.. I know a lot of you guys have ridiculous access to wiring diagrams and so forth.. THe engine harness I know is system specific as the wiring hooks into what controls it! LOL.. THanks guys!

I want to swap out dash harnesses so I have built in capacity for HUD, DIC, and newer HVAC control.. I have tried modifying a stock Lumina harness BTW, and with the way it is set up, for some reason, would need to control aspects of HVAC to be run off separate switches.. Which defeats the ENTIRE purpose of WHY I wanted to swap the control units.. (I HATE the Lumina Push putton HVAC.. WAAAAAY too "Tempo-esque"..

..Can anyone confirm or deny something for me:

The 1994-6 Grand Prix and 95-7 Cutty dash harnesses: Are they identical? As in, will the 95 dash harness work in a 96, despite the 96 being OBD2? I am uncertain of this and would like to know by Friday.. I know a lot of you guys have ridiculous access to wiring diagrams and so forth.. THe engine harness I know is system specific as the wiring hooks into what controls it! LOL.. THanks guys!

I want to swap out dash harnesses so I have built in capacity for HUD, DIC, and newer HVAC control.. I have tried modifying a stock Lumina harness BTW, and with the way it is set up, for some reason, would need to control aspects of HVAC to be run off separate switches.. Which defeats the ENTIRE purpose of WHY I wanted to swap the control units.. (I HATE the Lumina Push putton HVAC.. WAAAAAY too "Tempo-esque"..

no they are different., however.... I am doing a project.... I took the dash harness from a 95 GP and am adding all the accesories I want from the 95 GP to my 95's CS harness. I'm not telling you what right now, but it is not THAT bad. Keep aware of a write-up I will do about it soon enough. like when I can salvage the info from my POS laptop!

ps what year is your Cs again? I can "tailor" the info you need to add whatever wiring you wish.... later. PM me.

I think you mis-interpreted (Which is easy when I post.. I can be cryptic and hard to read)..

I am just asking if the STOCK harnesses are interchangeable.. As in, an OBD1.5 GP harness is the same as an OBD2 GP harness.. I just want stock dash accessories to swap out with what is in my 90 Lumina to gain stock HUD and DIC plugs, plus the 3 knob HVAC control..

..Not to go in the Cutty.. I like the 94 the way it is.. :cool:

my 94 cutty doesnt have the wiring for hud or dic what is the easiest way if there is a way to add these wirs to my factory wring or change the whole harness :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Splice in the connectors.. Following a wiring diagram or pin out and it can be done in an afternoon..

my 94 cutty doesnt have the wiring for hud or dic what is the easiest way if there is a way to add these wirs to my factory wring or change the whole harness :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Splice in the connectors.. Following a wiring diagram or pin out and it can be done in an afternoon..

read the hud info thread. I am working to add clarity to the info contained(including cluster pinouts). virtually all the HUD wiring can be spliced off the feed wires for the cluster. pm me for specific info and I can check and tell you what to do if you have trouble.

and steve.. let me think about the answer to your question.... I know alot is different but some stuff is the same. if you wish to make the effort oif wiring in the connectors I can check and make sure I give you the right info too...

i'm not clear what you mean by the hvac would need to run off seperate switches.

i don't see why a 3 knob hvac unit would.t work on a lumi harness when i got a digital cutty unit to work on a 93 gp harness. i'll take a look at the wiring and see what i come up with

Dan, you're my hero.. If you're on AIM, hit me up.. Im ALWAYS on, and its the same name for AIM I use on the boards! Thanks a ton..

As I said, I have tried the 3 knob in the Lumina.. The lumi has a single plug going to the box, and a whole bunch of little blue wires (THink of a disassembled CAT5 network cable for gauge of the wire..) Nothing would work right at all..

Im sure I could as well, but I am also converting the car TO OBD2 for a wider range of computer tuning; especially when I go manual and turbo the thing.. So I figure, if I go OBD2, I may as well change the dash wiring as well, plus as a bonus I can get that damn 3 knob HVAC!! lol

I thought about upgrading to a 95+ lumina dash.

whatever you do... remember that I added a HUD to my old lumina. I have wiring info (thanks Dan!) and the experience of putting it in. I can give you the pointers and set you on your way if you so request.

steve, the short answer is no, obd1.5 and obd II harnesses are NOT the same.

now, depending on whether or not you are using an obdII engine harness would determine which harness it would be easier to use.

then it'll definitely be easiest to use an obdII dash harness. you can modify and obd 1.5 harness to work, however. it would take a lot of trial and error, though, while you're figuring out what does and doesn't work. or you'd have to go through every pertinent connector on the obd 1.5 harness beforehand and make the necessary changes.

that will also make the 3 knob hvac control swap a non-issue.

Oh and Dan..

..If you can also check to see if the dash harnesses are different between the 96 and 97 model years..

because if theyre different then each will dictate what other i get..

Sorry for being such a PAIN.. :willynilly:

sorry stevie. busy busy busy. and one of myferrets died. i've been pretty unmotivated

Dan, its cool! No need to explain.. I just dont want the topic to disappear.. Whenever you get around to it :cool: