Loudcut's CUTLASS Project Thread (UPDATE: Tint Pictures Yo!)

97loudcut

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• jeremy

I talked to the guy at the exhuast shop about the 2.5" DP.

He said he needs to see it but also asked about the size of the flange off the manifolds. Is it big enough to fit a 2.5" DP?

It should be. I think Brian had one fabbed up a while ago for 3.2L he built up. I don't have my cut up 3.1L downpipe here, otherwise I'd take pics. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

EDIT: I mean, you're talking about 1/4" diameter to the stock piece. The bolts on the flange are not that close to the opening. No way.

Bump for smart people...

Alright im in here now quit your bitchen! :lol:

Why not try it? Plus that muffler really loooks ricey.

You may need to do a little mods but...

You're going to have to use the stock flange, or have something fabricated. The flange in your car has a flex joint before the pipe joins. With mine, they were able to spread open the inside diameter a little more. If they have any 2.5" flex joints around they could make ya something nice.

To give you an idea, you want something that looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190008353767&rd=1,1

I have emailed the guy asking if he could make me one with the 3400 flange (yes it's different) hadn't heard anything back yet...

by the way I was shown that thread. I ran a 2.5" downpipe on my old 3100 before the 3400 went in. I did NOT lose any "low end" that's a hoard of shit. Between the bends in the downpipe, and the sucky exhaust manifolds there's your "restriction". Now I do hope you get your whole exhaust changed (didn't read this whole thread) since you have 2" all the way thru. I still just have 2 1/4 piping after the cat (stock twin cam). My friend with a similar setup went 2.5" all the way around and the engine breathed and performed a lot better. Never at any time did the engine feel doggy at low RPM's. So I am planning on finishing up my exhaust too.

No you guys are sure that I am not going to lose power with this 2.5" dual setup (besides it being dual exhuast)?

I don't know what kind of material, I am assuming aluminized.

personally i think 2.5 is too big and you yes you might just a little currently, but, if you plan on doing any motor mods in the future, you will benefit from it. But trust me that when it is done, and if done right, you will love the dual outlets and never want to go back to single.

Well I am not going to go bigger to smaller.

I think I am going to stick with the 2.5" DP, Magnaflow Cat, 2.5" pipeing to a 2.5" Y pipe.. then mufflers and tips.

Why not, most auto manufacturer's do it stock. Doing a full 2.5 from the manifolds back WILL hurt you. Doing the larger downpipe will help tremoundously. The 2.25" exhaust is more than plenty for the mods you have now.