Loudcut's CUTLASS Project Thread (UPDATE: Tint Pictures Yo!)

97loudcut

^^ That's pretty much it. I am trying to pull everything out of it for a n/a 3100. I will squeeze and once of HP out of that motor that is possible :lol:

So, what do you guys think... 2.5"?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 97loudcut

• Euro

• 5speedz34

• jeremy

^^ That's pretty much it. I am trying to pull everything out of it for a n/a 3100. I will squeeze and once of HP out of that motor that is possible :lol:

So, what do you guys think... 2.5"?

actually...there's gonna be a point where the exhaust being too large is gonna hurt you...i don't really know what that point is on a 3100, but i do know the n/a 3800 guys run smaller downpipes than us L67 guys or they lose torque...i would just stick with 2.25" if i were you...

I would spend some money on a downpipe. Get a shop to make you a 2.5" one. I would think with a 2.5" downpipe and 2.5" all the way back would be very nice.

Olds motors....LQ1, LX-5, LD9 any deriviative of QUAD 4

Buick Motors...L67, L36, any deriviative of 3800 or 231 ci v-6

Pontiac Motor... 3.1 Turbo

Who said the LQ1 was an OLDS motor? That has always been a Chevy engine, from everything I've ever read on it.

Well, I got an email today from FFP saying they billed my CC. So that means my CO's shipped out :willynilly:. I can't wait, 4 days and I'll have them!

As far as the exhuast.. I think I will go with a 2.5" cat back and maybe a Magnaflow with a diffrent tip.

6670_1.JPG

I remeber someone talking about the Magnaflow straight through style mufflers. Would this look stupid on my car.. as in to "fart cannon-ish?"

6670_1.JPG

I remeber someone talking about the Magnaflow straight through style mufflers. Would this look stupid on my car.. as in to "fart cannon-ish?"

YES!

Well, I got an email today from FFP saying they billed my CC. So that means my CO's shipped out :willynilly:. I can't wait, 4 days and I'll have them!

As far as the exhuast.. I think I will go with a 2.5" cat back and maybe a Magnaflow with a diffrent tip.

6670_1.JPG

Looks too ricey IMO.

does anyone by any chance know what the pipe size is on l36 cars? I wouldnt go bigger than that.......

Personally i would use one of these....http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=301

Now i would also suggest a small resonator, and i would go with dual outlets. With a nice set of tips, the chrome against the black would look great, especially with your wheels. Just the right amount of contrast. I have 3 1/2 tips on my blue lumina and they aren't too big at all. I can show you some pictures. The hardest part is getting them to come out evenly.

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

I agree with Robby on the downpipe statement. The LQ1's got a 2.5" downpipe stock, where as the pushrod 60* variants got much smaller. Basically, it's a huge bottleneck in the exhaust.

Anyways, what I'm getting at, and probably what Robby was implying, is to just replace the muffler to your choice, and get a downpipe fabbed up. Theres a ton of room back there, so any competent shop shouldn't have too much of a problem doing so.

I agree with Robby on the downpipe statement. The LQ1's got a 2.5" downpipe stock, where as the pushrod 60* variants got much smaller. Basically, it's a huge bottleneck in the exhaust.

Anyways, what I'm getting at, and probably what Robby was implying, is to just replace the muffler to your choice, and get a downpipe fabbed up. Theres a ton of room back there, so any competent shop shouldn't have too much of a problem doing so.

Yeah, exactly. Downpipe, muffler, tip, done.

it looks similar to the fart cannon on my spyder....I would have to seen one on your car before I could decide if I liked it or not...

Why wouldn't you run Dual? Or even just slap a Y in there towards the back like the newer GP's are (and probably the older ones, but something tells me a pipe ran out of one muffler and into the other on the 1st Gen's.)

Why wouldn't you run Dual? Or even just slap a Y in there towards the back like the newer GP's are (and probably the older ones, but something tells me a pipe ran out of one muffler and into the other on the 1st Gen's.)

yeah...i'd run a Y pipe with dauls and a dual cut-out bumper with some sweet tips...probably the SLP GTX tips like Invasion runs on his turbo cutty!...but, hey...its your car...do it how you want it!

single 2.25, borla muffler (if thats what you want; im too poor to buy borla so i have to go w/ magnaflow, lol), dp, tip. you definitely dont need 2.5" esp. mandrel for that car. i would get a 2.5" muffler though so if you go w/ a 3400 top end or something more radical, you can get larger exhuast piping then. right now, 2.5 will hurt your torque and probably wont do much for hp either.

Well first off, he would have to cut out his bumper for the other outlet. Second, if you really wanted dual exhaust, just replace the resonator with a dual outlet muffler, and then run the two pipes as duals. Youll save money, and itll only be 10lbs heavier.