Overhead Console information and Installation, GEN 1.(further info pending)

Crazy K

INFORMATION:

Overhead consoles (OHC) were available in some GEN 1 w-body lines. OHCs are retained to the roof by tabs that interlock with two notches that are pre-stamped into the factory roof rail of factory equippable cars. They are further retained by two short (about 3/8") self-tapping screws into the overhead structural rail. They are mounted through a pre-cut hole in the headliner when equipped.

they have a 4" by 1" tall by 2" deep cubby at their rear, and have three lights, one as a permanent dome light and the two on the side are map lights.

Only some of the models had them, and I do not have year info. Cars that are known to have provisions/installed overhead consoles are:

GP coupes (90, 91, 92, 95, 96 observed)

GP sedans (92, 95)

Regal coupes (94 observed)

Regal sedans (94, 95, 96 observed)

CS coupes (88, 90, 94 observed)

However models of the above equipped with factory sunroofs were not equipped with OHC or provisions for the OHC, due to the sunroof motor conflicting with the location of the OHC.

No Lumina, Monte Carlo or CS sedan yet observed has the console or provisions for installation, there may be exceptions I have not yet observed.

known colors that I have seen include:

dark graphite with gray buttons,

biege with black buttons,

dark gray with black buttons,

light gray with black buttons,

garnet red with black buttons,

dark blue (according to Stevezasycho)

deep tan/orangish!

However, on the hidden face of the OHC, there is a listing (which I have observed to vary unit to unit) of all the part numbers that relate to the various colors in which they may have been produced.

10060362/10112878 VR DK SAPPHIRE

10060363 MED BEACHWOOD

10060364/10112879 GARNET RED

10060365/10112880 MED DK GRAY

10112881 DK SIENNA

5976300 GRAPHITE

10124869 MD SLATE GRAY

10124870 DK SLATE GRAY

5976231/5976577 MD GRAY

5976232/5976578 MD BIEGE

(and made in Spain!)

INSTALLATION:

First determine if your car has the provisions.

How to tell if you car has the provision for the OHC. Remove the screws that hold the visor retainers and the visors. Then pull on the center headliner above the mirror and use a flashlight to look into the gap at the rood rails. If you see two notches on the center roof rail which were stamp cut into downward facing bulges, you have the provisions.

WEAR SAFTY GLASSES AND GLOVES! the headliner contains fiberglass and will make you cry like a stuffed pig!!!

Models with the OHC provision will only require a proper sized hole cut in the headliner. the rear of the hole must ends at the exact rear of the headliner (pics forthcoming) the front just slightly ahead of the mounting position of the screws. start your hole small right where the screws retain the OHC. cut back inch by inch until you have the rear of the hole cut to the end of the OHC retaining slots. make sure those areas of the OHC that stick above the headliner have the headliner materiel removed, ESPECIALLY by the light bulbs. once the headliner materiel is all cleared away, the OHC can be pushed back and held by the retainer tabs. then the front screws can be screwed in permanently mounting the OHC. (don't forget to wire it in!)

Models without the OHC provision are a Much More Difficult. I have mounted one into my 95 CS sedan. after careful analysis of the pictures of a donor vehicle I pressed and adjusted the console until I decided it was in the correct position. I then started with a small hole using a utility knife. i located the correct position for the screws and re-verified the opening. Due to lack of rear retainer in the car's roof rail, the console is held only by the two screws. I was able to cut notches and force the rear of the console into the headliner material and it allows it to interlock, but not support the OHC.

Wiring three wires feed the console:

Orange = Hot

Black = Ground

White = Switched source for dome light. grounds when door is open.

(DOUBLE CHECKING, THESE ARE FROM MEMORY AND MAY BE WRONG!)

In the one installation I participated in, these wires were able to be spliced directly into the wires that feed the mirror. Yours should be the same, unless your car has the rare unlighted mirror, in which case you may have to run wires down one of the A pillars and splice into the car harness elsewhere.

Edited by Crazy K

Add Dark Blue to the list. I pulled one from a GP.. :cool:

The OHCs are a very neat feature.. I have added so many things to one.. I have one a member here put a Cutty DIS into..

..Other GM lines had other variations which employed multiple options, such as rotating spot lamps, GMs HomeLink, and others..

• 2 months later...

By OHC, do you mean the little black sunglasses holder up there? They never had one that displayed info, like some chryslers for example, did they?

not in gen 1 W-bodies. it is just a deluxe dome light with maplights and a sunglass cavity.

jw, why would you want to swap one in there? every time i had sunglasses in it, they would rattle with the bass. i never saw much of a point in having it.

also, im pretty sure my mom's 88 SE had one.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...