EGR Valve

grandprix104

The GM dealers here in Vancouver want $340 if you have the 3800 TPI.

As far as testing it, I thought you simply start your car, let it idle up to operating temp and then slightly push the EGR's diaphragm to see if it alters the idle and makes your vehicle stall. If it does, then your EGR is good, if not then you have a bad EGR. I think that's the method but I can be totally wrong on this though.

$211 here without warranty at checker auto.

I just started working there so I think I can get a discount too.

Just to double-check my thinking, what are the major symtoms of the EGR valve going out?

I think if your idling is off or erratic it can be the EGR. Also, if your tailpipe emissions are pretty bad it could be the EGR as well, but then again you have to go for a smog test for that. Also, if your car sputters and dies quite often and stalls often then it could be the EGR. Unfortunately I can't really verify these symptoms though, that's only what I heard and not from personal experience.

$211 here without warranty at checker auto.

I just started working there so I think I can get a discount too.

Just to double-check my thinking, what are the major symtoms of the EGR valve going out?

ok well this is what the beast is doing:

when idling or stopped at a light in drive the engine emits a low rythmic rumble and shudder like that of a diesle except alot slower. a whrumm..whrumm..whrumm type rythem. it doesnt do this all the time though. any other things that could fix this. My car has never stalled and runsa perfectly except for this annoyance

you cant simply push the diaphragm on these egrs because there is no diaphragm. They are completely digital/electronic. Thats why there so much $

• 4 months later...