Who here has used POR-15?

Brian P

I haven't bought anything just yet. I'll be doing this in the spring, more or less. I'm leaning towards rustbullet, especially since they just came out with a black color version. Not that POR-15 wouldn't get the job done, but I won't have to etch the surface with the special prep primer, plus POR-15 is susceptible to UV degradation. I know POR-15 says it can be sprayed, but how thin is that paint? I'm thinking it would get caught up in a HVLP gun. Also, what kind of solvents will clean up POR-15?

i don't think you will be able to spray POR-15 out of an HVLP gun...its gonna need something with a pretty good size tip because its some thick shit...

and, FWIW: i've never used any special prep primer when using POR-15, and i've never had it not stick..

After reading about Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing stuff, it looks like it's more for protecting new metal. And like it was mentioned earlier, it's thin.

This is actually made by Rustoleum too, however it's made to go on a surface that is just like the bottom of a W body. It also sounds strong. And it's BLACK!

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=497&SBL=2

After reading about Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing stuff, it looks like it's more for protecting new metal. And like it was mentioned earlier, it's thin.

This is actually made by Rustoleum too, however it's made to go on a surface that is just like the bottom of a W body. It also sounds strong. And it's BLACK!

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=497&SBL=2

The cold galvanizing spray is actually rather thick since it seems to be made up of finely grounded zinc metal. It's just not a very strong bond. Even after it dries, if you touch it, you'll get metallic sparkles on your finger from some of the zinc that comes off.

The Rust Reformer actually performed rather poorly in that Rust Bullet vid.