What's the average SPARK ADVANCE?

gmrulz4u

When it comes to the 2.8/3.1 engines, is their a certain amount of degrees Spark Advance that are considered "normal" or "in acceptable range"?

The reason I ask is because I have an OBD ALDL Scanner and am able to monitor almost everything, and my ECM commands a Spark Advance of about 15 degrees at Idle, and 32 degrees at about 75% throttle. I have no idea whether this is OK or not?

I am having an extremely hard time finding anything online that states what is "normal"? Especially for DIS ignition...

THANKS!:)

yes that is normal. You are having a hard time finding anything because the timing as you know is controlled by the computer. Its a program that is flashed into the computer, therefore making ranges hard to determine in a DIS ingniton system. Now if for some reason the timing won't advance, the car will not have any power. The car might even run like crap. At the very least, trigger the SES light indicating a malfunction in the computer. :) :) :)

I use an AutoXray, it cost $149 and was WELL worth every penny!

Their site is:

http://www.autoxray.com

They have a ton of dealers throughout North America.

Here's a better link to the exact place I bought mine:

http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATS&Product_Code=ATX10110&Category_Code=AX

Only $149 with Free Shipping and Carrying Case!! Keep in mind this will only allow you to Scan OBD I GM cars from 1982-1995. I just bought this one because I didn't really see a point of buying their full blown set-up with Ford, Chrysler, OBD II, OBD II Enhanced etc..etc...

$2000? What the hell is that? A GM Tech 1 or Tech 2 or something? I know the Snap-On ones are expensive, but I didn't know of any others that are THAT much...