I Have a problem, any help???

92turboLE

Ok... impulling a 3.1 on saturday and im going to build the shit out of it. the guy that is helping me says with a large enough turbo (17c syclone/typhoon turbo) and some new compnents, i can hit the 500hp mark easy.

The problem is the tranny. I know the 4T60E will come apart at about 250hp at the most. I would like to keep an auto tranny in the car, but dont know whatis strong enough and compatable to the 3.1. I could go with a 5-speed conversion bu that means swapping dash and seats (mine has a bench seat and colum shifter) and i would have to find a way to get a center console in there, which if worst case scenario, i can do. money is kinda tight though so i want to keep it as inexpensive as i can.

Are any of the newer trannys from say an early GTP, or even a later GTP somewhat compatable??? Any suggestions??? How much hp can the stock TGP tranny carry???

Any help would be awesome

thanks

- Justin

No, none of the other autos will bolt to a 3.1L, Im pretty sure. Im doing the same swap next summer, the 5spd, and I have the column shifter and bench seats. Ima take all summer to accumulate parts to do it. Anyway, I honestly dont think there is an auto that will bolt to a 3.1L that will take more than 225HP

Robby

well...

A. I have a good friend that professionally rebuilds trannys but it is still hella expensive

B. "Build the shit out of it" consists of a complete teardown and rebuild with new pistons, rods, cams, crank, port and polish, cylinder wall honed... pretty much anything i can do to make the engine close to new and stronger

Anyone know what the 4T60E will hold??? also the 4T60, isnt thta vacume controlled, not electric? would i have any problems with the ECM???

I will have to talk to jeff, im good friends with a guy thta is good friends with jeff.

Anyway... im just gonna pull a tranny at the pull=n-save tomarrow (all you can carry for 10 feet = $30) hehehehe, as well as a 3.1

Guest TurboSedan

I could go with a 5-speed conversion bu that means swapping dash and seats (mine has a bench seat and colum shifter) and i would have to find a way to get a center console in there, which if worst case scenario, i can do. money is kinda tight though so i want to keep it as inexpensive as i can.

Are any of the newer trannys from say an early GTP, or even a later GTP somewhat compatable??? Any suggestions??? How much hp can the stock TGP tranny carry???

Any help would be awesome

thanks

- Justin

no need to swap the dash at all. mine was column shift/bench seat also and i just have a stub sticking out where the shifter handle used to be. swapping in bucket seats is extremely easy, as well as the shifter console. it's all bolt in. but, i'm PRO 5-speed/anti-automatic, as pretty much everyone here knows hehehe. IMO a 5-speed swap is EASY, but then again i've already done it twice :)

joshua

well shit, if it comes down to that... perhaps we could get together and you could help me out with it... there would definately be compensation and some chill brews in it for ya...

gimmie a wrench and put me to a motor and i can fix anything... send me to try and fix trannys you'll probly get a good laugh. i dont know shit bout workin on trannys...

*EDIT* the center console doenst connect to the dash... i thaught it did???

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i don't know anything about tranny's either. i've swapped tranny's and changed clutches out, but nothing internal. i'll help ya out if you want. i did my swap about a year ago. check out my website for some pics. the hardest part is modifying the hole that the column shifter cable used to pass thru so that you can mount the clutch master cylinder there, and also drilling the holes for the shifter cables in the floor. otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

joshua

did you do it with engine in the car??? like i said, mine will be completely out during the swap, might as well do all at once, right???

- Justin

*EDIT* do you know exact part numbers??? is it something i might find at the junkyard??? if so, what engines/models/years was it attached to... either the same one you have or the 284, or whatever... i only know the autos.... not the manuals

Guest TurboSedan

when i take my motor/tranny out, it ALL comes out the top with tranny attatched, even the entire engine wiring harness comes out with it. it will be much easier to do the job with everything out of the car. personally i would stay away from the 284, since they have to be sent directly to Getrag to be rebuilt and parts are not available for it (so i'm told). they also have a funky hydraulic clutch setup whereas the 282 is pretty simple. the Getrag 282 should hold plenty of power with a good clutch, many people have even put them behind LT1's in Fieros etc. the Getrag 282 can be found in '88-'90 Cutlass Supreme's, Grand Prix's (most common), and i think even some Luminas got them. i doubt the Regal ever did. mine came from a '90 Grand Prix. just be sure you get a 282 from a 2.8/3.1 car (NOT from a Quad 4), and to be on the safe side get it from a W-body and not a J-body or L-body. you'll need different driveshafts, a new manual trans mount, and a new clutch kit would be a good idea. on my car i even used the entire engine wiring harness and ECM from the '90 GP donor car, just to avoid the hassles and i have no extra plugs laying around. my 'shift' light even works etc. unfortunately the '90 harness isn't compatible with my '91 A/C system, but that can be fixed very easily.

joshua

Guest Anonymous

Who needs A/C? I have almost all of it ripped out of my TGP. As soon as I find out what size bolt holds the idler puller on I'm taking the A/C compressor off too.

Anyone know what size bolt it is and if it needs a flat washer to go against the pulley? I've checked j/y's around here and can't find a w-body without A/C.