Rattling wheel covers

grandprix104

I would love to buy some real wheels but i have no $$$

They are definately the wheel covers i have already had them off for a couple of days and no such noise

Do you think spraying the back of them with an acoustic dampening material would help, or would it melt off and make a mess when braking hard?

No I'd bet it the hubcaps. I've heard lotsa cars do that. My mom's windstar does that. Its really loud and embarassing. I don't know anything about hubcaps though, so I can't be much help.. isn't there a way to like make them attach tighter?

got them tightened down as far as theyll go without stripping the plastic. Ive tried lots of things to shut them up (everything from rags jammed in behind to weatherstipping on all the conact points) but nothing works :(

I was about to mention that. You'll definitely need some high-heat enamel paint, and before you spray 'em down make sure you clean them. You can even take some fine steel wool to sand off the wheels. Trust me, it's better than plastic wheel covers.

Ditch the caps and take a spray can to the steel wheels.

I'll trade ya rims. I have those old school ones... I thought that mine being a '94, it woulda had some newer style rims. I'd rather have those hubcaps than my rims. These are the ones I'm talkin' about..

fc2f8886.jpg.orig.jpg

I think it makes my car look old. :?

I dont get it. Arent the covers plastic? What does it sound like? The covers on my ex's Grand Am were bolted on with these funny lugnuts and those things were on hella-tight. Are yours like that, or do they mount in another way?

find any style alum rims from a junkyard. best idea. those bolt on hubcap style stay on tight, but they are more of a pita to take off (I feel kinda retarded doing the same job TWICE for one wheel). they are more prone to rattling because now there are floating parts (the platic caps) if they are not 100% tight, and even still stuff rattles. i think anything u spray besides hi-temp paint will melt off

thick 3m 2-way tape stick it to the inside edge of the wheel covers in 6 or more places, leave the backing on, on the side that faces the wheel. Works on the j-bodys, can't see why it wouldnt work. Would you believe that Gm has a kit for this. The tape works better though.

Guest Anonymous
only a mental patient would bend down that far to PUNCH something at foot level

So when you punching them??

Robby

You beat me to it. :lol:

If I'm not mistaken some Grand Prixs have alloys that look just like those hubcaps. My grandmas Prix has those same hubcaps, but my neighbor's Prix has alloy wheels that look identical to them.

Guest Anonymous
If I'm not mistaken some Grand Prixs have alloys that look just like those hubcaps. I my grandmas Prix has those same hubcaps, but my neighbor's Prix has alloy wheels that look identical to them.

I thought I've seen them as wheels before.

Ok ive tried something alike the 3m tape solution and it didnt do jack. I was just hoping someone had an easy cheap solution (my def. of cheap less than $6) I eventually will get some chrome alloys but i have absolutely no $$ right now.

My stock wheels are 14" black steel. I used the chrome beauty rings off my Eurosport and got chrome lugnuts. With the white letter Firehawks it looked totaly NASCAR.

Ya gotta have white letter to make it work though. I switch between those and the hubcaps on my website.