ZZP SUCKS! Read about my STB bracket experience HERE

Bossman429

Here is the course of events:

Ordered a set of Early Model STB brackets to use the Buick F-bar on my STE (Early model car, of course).

Orignal order date: 10/06/2006

Brackets arrived: 10/10/2006

I went to install the brackets, and they were 1/4 of an inch too long to fit in between my strut towers. I immediately assumed that I recieved the Late model brackets by mistake. So I called up my friend with a 2001 Grand Prix GT.

Test fitting the bar with brackets on the 2001 GP, it fit PERFECT! I was now ASSURED that I received the late model brackets by mistake.

I tried to call ZZP, apparently they do not answer their phone on Friday or weekends.

When I finally got a hold of ZZP they agreed that I likely received the wrong brackets by mistake. I was told to send the brackets back using UPS with tracking. I was instructed to include a copy of the shipping receipt to get a refund of the shipping costs as well.

I sent the brackets back, and they arrived at ZZP Exchange center(according to UPS tracking): 10/20/2006

I heard NOTHING from them until I called today: 11/09/2006

After being on hold for a while I was told by their representative that his exchange department told him that the brackets I sent back to him WERE early model brackets. When I told him about my experience installing the brackets on my friend's 2001 GP he gave me some run around BS and said I DID receive the early model brackets.

I asked: Are there any distinguishable markings on the brackets to tell the early model brackets from the late model brackets? When I got the brackets they were just pieces on metal, no markings, no stickers, nothing to indicate late from early. He said he didn't have the measurements, or specs in front of him, but I did receive the early brackets.

To which I responded, Why did they fit on a Late model GP then? He responded that some Grand Prixs are different and the 97-2001 GPs could be different between the strut towers. To which I responded, NO, my car is a 1990, which is an early model, the same as all Grand Prixs until 1996. 1997 was the new body style and therefore would use the late model brackets.

I was offered a refund to my paypal account of the total initially deducted of $40.53. This was the brackets plus shipping. So at least I got most of my money back.

I am in the process of contacting Easyperformance.com which is the company that manufactures the brackets with which ZZP is a distributor for.

I will post what I find out from them, hopefully I can order the brackets directly from the manufacture for a more trustworthy outcome.

If I find out that we can order brackets directly from the manufacture I would prefer if those of you who need brackets will order from them rather than ZZP due to my discouraging experience with this situation.

screw them. Zoomer obviously needs to get his shit together!!!!! i've read the same type of threads on ClubGP about ZZPs shitty ass customer service. when i owned my Regal GS there were a few things they had i really wanted but after reading about their customer service problems......bye bye. sold the Regal anyway so not like it matters.

well, at least you found 'vert bar for cheap :biggrin:

I sent Easy Performance a copy of the text in this thread plus:

"I was offered a refund, but I do really want to install the strut bar on my car. I have already purchased the bar itself. When I measured my strut towers on my Grand Prix the measurements were EXACTLY what was listed on your site for the early model bracket dimensions.

Please provide me some insight on my situation. I would like to get a second opinion on the experience I had. I would also like to know if it is possible to order the early model brackets directly from Easy Performance to ensure that I receive the correct brackets."

Josh, I went to install the vert bar on my car and it was tweaked up, probably why it was just sitting on the junkyard car.

I had to bend it to get it to fit, and once I did, it bowed up too high for the hood to close. I might tweak with it some more to see what I can come up with.

Josh, I went to install the vert bar on my car and it was tweaked up, probably why it was just sitting on the junkyard car.

I had to bend it to get it to fit, and once I did, it bowed up too high for the hood to close. I might tweak with it some more to see what I can come up with.

ah that sucks. good luck with everything else!

For some reason I've read more than once that ZZP needs to get their shit together. Hopefully you make out ok.

Would have it been possible for you to simply make the bolt holes a bit elongated to get the F bar to fit?

you should have done some searching before you bought them!!...i covered this many of times on this forum!...first off, don't send customer service @ ZZP an email...its a waste!...email zooomer directly!...now, zooomer was @ SEMA for a couple weeks, so that may be why the long delay in getting ahold of them...

as for the brackets, they are too expensive, and they don't fit!...you have to elongate the holes in your F-Bar to make them work...i did this on my cutlass, and they worked...but, then you have the issue of your STB rubbing the hood...soo, don't do a nice fancy paintjob on it, because it will be ruined after you shut the hood once!...like i said, try searching on this forum...i know the search function sucks ass...but you should be able to come up with something...i know BrianP was very upset with these, he posted a topic, but i think he deleted it after i gave him zooomers info...

also, easyperformance pretty much is ZZP...as well as Stattama, and ZZPdecals...i think they may be different owners, but they are all friends/family as far as i know...

you should have done some searching before you bought them!!...i covered this many of times on this forum!...first off, don't send customer service @ ZZP an email...its a waste!...email zooomer directly!...now, zooomer was @ SEMA for a couple weeks, so that may be why the long delay in getting ahold of them...

as for the brackets, they are too expensive, and they don't fit!...you have to elongate the holes in your F-Bar to make them work...i did this on my cutlass, and they worked...but, then you have the issue of your STB rubbing the hood...soo, don't do a nice fancy paintjob on it, because it will be ruined after you shut the hood once!...like i said, try searching on this forum...i know the search function sucks ass...but you should be able to come up with something...i know BrianP was very upset with these, he posted a topic, but i think he deleted it after i gave him zooomers info...

also, easyperformance pretty much is ZZP...as well as Stattama, and ZZPdecals...i think they may be different owners, but they are all friends/family as far as i know...

Yeah I started a thread about it but it's gone, since contacting Zoomer directly I got a response, and eventually a "solution". I also thought I was alone with this problem so I deleted it. I guess not though! Oh and if anyone gets a set of brackets that were bead blasted (bare) those were mine :lol:

As much as you guys hated RSM, Ive had no problems with their stuff.

Thats a shitty deal though. Hopefully youll get it worked out.

Likewise. My RSM STB is great.

i'm actually surprised nobody on here has started making the front brackets on their own. the zzp brackets are extremely simple and i know there are people on here with access to machines and the skill to make them

i'm actually surprised nobody on here has started making the front brackets on their own. the zzp brackets are extremely simple and i know there are people on here with access to machines and the skill to make them

i dont know why anyone bothers with any sort of bracket when the thing mounts to the stock plates just fine, and is the only way to keep the bar as low as possible to keep it from hitting the hood.

i dont know why anyone bothers with any sort of bracket when the thing mounts to the stock plates just fine, and is the only way to keep the bar as low as possible to keep it from hitting the hood.

As in weld it onto the plates?

I'm considering this, as I have the bar already.

yeah I just ended up doing that. Drill two holes lined up and install the inserts/studs, bolt on. I just don't like how it deforms the plate when it's tightened down.

form follows function. solidly bolted perfect working STB for $7 that makes the plates look a little funky is well worth it to me, and i never, at any show, had anyone mention "your strut plates look goofy" - they said "cool strut bar i didn't know you could get one for a lumina!"

yeah I just ended up doing that. Drill two holes lined up and install the inserts/studs, bolt on. I just don't like how it deforms the plate when it's tightened down.

form follows function. solidly bolted perfect working STB for $7 that makes the plates look a little funky is well worth it to me, and i never, at any show, had anyone mention "your strut plates look goofy" - they said "cool strut bar i didn't know you could get one for a lumina!"

haha cool. I haven't even put the bar back in yet since taking the engine/tranny out twice in september. Seems like I'm done working under the hood for a while so maybe I'll bolt the bar in tomorrow :lol: Studs just kinda sitting there.