Welcome to my nightmare. Any suggestions are welcome.

Adam S.

Hi all

Well I was a happy 1990 TGP owner for about 5 seconds than the goverment.

I looked into improting the 1990 TGP that was listed for sale in North Dakota. I talked to the owner supper nice guy we agreed on the price and he even agreed to store and professional detail it until I can pick it up at the end of July. I have the money in my hand and I'm just talking to the Transport Canada office and they say that the car is addmissable as long as I replace the bumper energy absorbant areas with a canadian certified one. So I called GM and they said the car is not addmissable. Get this since the car was never marketed in Canada there are no Canadian part numbers for it.

Alright I went into a dealership and I got the part numbers for the energy absorbant honeycomb piece for the front and the rear and these parts are identical to a Grand prix LE 1990 and a Grand Prix GTP 1991 for the rear. Both of these cars would be addmissible. This is still not enough.

My only other choice is to have the bumpers tested. There is one catch however. It's distructive testing so what's the purpose of me buying the car. Had the car been more than 15 years old none of this would matter.

I will send the owner 150 US dollars for his troubles, but it seems that I will not be a TGP owner.

What takes me over the edge is that I already have the gray interior that I was going to swap into it (the car is red with tan I don't like tan). I also have lowering springs, KYB all around, 12" PBR brakes all around Full urethane busing set. 3" SS full exhaust waiting here just to be bolted on and nothing.

I trully hope Canada becomes the 52nd state of the US.

Well that about sums up my shitty day

How was yours?

Regards Adam S.

Wow, that's ridiculous. I don't understand how the car is still not admissable if you use the Canadian certified bumper absorbers. Makes no sense. I would think part numbers and proof of installation would be enough documentation.

What about kit cars? Are they allowed to be titled? Maybe you can title it as a kit car.

you said something about it being 15 years old and they cant bother you. Keep it in the US until 2005, go install all the stuff you bought in the US, then in 2005, bring it to Canada

Robby

Do what i am doing..... I have a 92 Grand Prix LE sedan and im adding a turbo. From everything i have found and researched, it is the same motor and compression. I am just adding the Xover pipe, turbo, chi and injectors... all for only a few hundred bux....

Just a thaught

- Justin

1992 Grand Prix LE soon to have a 17c Syclone/Typhoon Turbo

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah they would want crash testing morons. Keeping the car in the US for a year and a half is an option, but how can one stand not driving it for a year and a half. Next is where would I store it. Remember I live in Canada.

There are no TGP collectors in Canada (I wonder why) so the ignorance is rampant to the point where people cant even spell TGP never mind know what it's all about.

One last possibility is to have GM from US give me the testing procedures for the 1990 TGP (it should be the same as for the other GP's) and compare that to the Canadian testing ( I bet it's the same ) . If I only knew where to find that .

Regards ADam S.

well that sucks!

id remove the front fasha and everything TGPish and replace the VIN plate with one from Canada (if it makes a difference) then remove all doors and iterior and make it look like a wreck when you drive it over the border :D

Or you can just find someone with a large flatbed off road vehicle and have an interesting off road excursion through the forest :)

BTW the US only has 50 states :)

Do what i am doing..... I have a 92 Grand Prix LE sedan and im adding a turbo. From everything i have found and researched, it is the same motor and compression. I am just adding the Xover pipe, turbo, chi and injectors... all for only a few hundred bux....

Just a thaught

- Justin

The compression isn't the same! Parts of the motor aren't the same either. The computer is WAY different. And the tranny is weaker. :roll:

The compression is very close though. Most of the internal parts of the motor are the same, and the computer is the same (MEMCAL inside is different).

Just a thaught

- Justin

The compression isn't the same! Parts of the motor aren't the same either. The computer is WAY different. And the tranny is weaker. :roll:

well the compression is nearly the same, 1/10 off, easy fix, and just small parts differences, and i know the trannys arent the same... although i dont really care, i have a new tranny and it is under warenty for another year, lol.

but im rebuilding a stock 3.1 actually. came to this conclustion today, i want to be in the 300hp bracket and im ready to get a beefed up 3t60e built (i have a buddy that does trannys). so after a new crank, rods, pistons and rings and a computer, i'll be good to go...

If I were you, I would go with the Getrag 282 manual. It has the potential hold a lot more power than any FWD auto ever will, plus its more fun to drive.

Robby

cant launch at high boost... no off the line spooling with a manual. when it comes to turbos, i prefer the autos so that you can tourqe break and leave the line at high boost under load.... but i had thaught of the manual just to save on hassle.... what kinda issues installing it???

although with all FWD, hookup is always the problem, but there is just a little more control over power with the auto IMO

P.S. Thanks Gnat for the backup.... i did my homework

cant launch at high boost... no off the line spooling with a manual. when it comes to turbos, i prefer the autos so that you can tourqe break and leave the line at high boost under load.... but i had thaught of the manual just to save on hassle.... what kinda issues installing it???

although with all FWD, hookup is always the problem, but there is just a little more control over power with the auto IMO

P.S. Thanks Gnat for the backup.... i did my homework

The only issues with installing a manual would be drilling hole in the firewall for the shifter cables and mounting the clutch, and a new ECM to support the manual. Those are the only *main* issues

Robby

yeah, again though, with an auto, you cant build boost... but maybe if it looks like its going to be a problem with my tranny, i like 5-speeds anyway...

cant launch at high boost... no off the line spooling with a manual. when it comes to turbos, i prefer the autos so that you can tourqe break and leave the line at high boost under load.... but i had thaught of the manual just to save on hassle

I beg to differ... at High School Drags @ Bandimere on Monday, I saw a 1993 Eclispe AWD coupe redline his DOHC turbo at the line, droped the clutch and had full boost in about 5 - 10 ft. Ran a heathly 13.241 @ 103.89mph with his *slightly* modded daily-driver. Hmm...

- RedFox340

yeah, why cant you build boost with a manual? I have never heard of that before. My friend has a 3000GT VR-4 Twin Turbo 5spd and it builds boost when he launches. He puttin about 400HP out at the crank, and when he launches it, you can feel all of them, trust me

Robby

cant build boost with a manual? maybe with bigger turbos but the t-25 is uhh......efficiently sized enough :D to spool up at the line. trust me- i had to install a low/high boost switch that goes to the wastegate solenoid so i COULD get traction at the line,switch off max 4.5 lbs. switch on somewhere around 11lbs.

-mitch

90 tgp 5 speed

Hi All

I got the car as a show car. I can import it that way. So what if I can't drive it around town. Ill have it at the SOLO, Drag, Show events.

Still I got a rare car.

There is always a way out I say.

Regards and get ready for some funn

Adam S.

true, boost can be built with a manual... but only once you put it under load (once the clutch is out) where as in an auto you can tourque break it under heavy load and have full boost b4 you even start rolling.... just my preference, but i your right, you can build boost with a manual, just not as much...

Buddy of mine has a typhoon and he launches at 23lbs on 118 octane race gas at the track and does wheel stands in his auto...i would like to see any 5-speed be sitting stationary on the line with 23lbs of boost... hehehehe

- Justin

Uh, what the hell is wrong w/ Canada? As far as I know, someone has a TGP in Canada and DRIVES it, it's registered in Ottawa IIRC. A guy I talk to from Ottawa said he seen a Black Grand Prix that looked kinda different from others in Ottawa two weeks ago, said he pulled next to it and was turning and seen "Turbo" spelled out on the side badge.....so unless it's someone w/ a fake badge, then there is a TGP in canada. Isn't "Drewskie"(I think that's his handle) on the TGP board from Canada and has his TGP there? I've got my friend from Ottawa on the lookout to talk to the guy w/ the TGP there and gonna get him to get some pics of it, if it is infact a TGP. 8)

Well you could build boost with a manual if you had a brake line lock. It was something I was looking into before I sold my TGP... 8)