help a friend with his cutlass! probly crank sensor.

Dan RareGP

"RollinPhantom31: I have a problem with my 89 cutlass supreme that hopefully someone can help me with. The car runs for 5-10 min. then just shuts off. I have good fuel pressure and changed the ignition module. I bought a new crank position sensor and heard that you need a special tool to get it out. I was just wondering if this was true and if anyone has had similar problems let me know.

RollinPhantom31: also ask if anyone knows if i can get ground effects for the phantom edition ?"

Its an 89 Cutlass phantom with a 3.1 auto.

Thanks!

Dan

1990 Turbo Grand Prix.

ive done it. its a pain in the ass tho.

need a 8mm socket on a long extension, flashlight, a long 8mm wrench, safety glasses, long flat screwdriver, carb or brake cleaner, engine oil, and lots of patience

1:jack the car and PUT IT ON STANDS!

2:put on the safety glasses or i guarantee you will get crud in your eye and it is painful

3: locate the sensor with the flashlight, its up between the motor and transmission on the center of the block.

3a:if its cruddy and oily up there douche the thing with the cleaner.

4: use the screwdriver to pop off the electrical connector and push it out of the way.

5: use the wrench to break the bolt free if need be.

6: use the socket/ratchet/extension to reach over the trans and get to the bolt.

7: remove the bolt and pull the sensor out -contorting the hell out of your arm to get to it, and make sure the old o-ring comes out!

8: coat the o-ring of the new sensor with engine oil, and install the sensor into the hole. take great care not to get the sensor crapped up on the engine oil that has surely leaked from the rear valve cover and caked on top of the transmission.

9: install the bolt and tighten it but not too much. dont bother trying to torque it, i tried. it will just cause great pain and blood loss.

10: when you wake up from passing out due to blood loss from attempting to get the torque wrench on the thing, re-install the wire, take your safety glasses off(but like any normal person you took them off in step 2 cause they fogged up and you wanted to see as opposed to protect your eyes). lower the car, start it.

Well I did all that and then some, but the sensor still did not come out. I got the bolt out real easy, but the sensor does not want to come out. It turns no problem but won't pull out. I don't want to break the end off cause then I am in a world of sh*t. If there is a special way to pull it out let me know.

By the way I am new here. I have an 89 Cutlass Supreme Phantom(nothing special just ground effects)

"a world of sh*t" is right. I broke off a stuck crank sensor in a Quad4 in a Calais...

It took me a week, a pint of blood and five carbide drill bits to get it out..

OK remember that this sensor is MAGNETIC and you'll have to pull hard! what I ended up having to do was, because everytime I grabbed the sensor by the end ( where the plug iserts) and it kept breaking apart (OLD plastic is bad shit) I took as much plastic off as possible, then straightened the 2 electrical prongs so it pointed out, then got a pair of vise grips, got them TIGHT on those prongs and pulled straight out...voila! Keep in mind, I did this with the car on the ground, motor tilted, alternator removed.

i hate to say thins but my 89 cutlass did teh run 5 - 10 minute thing and it just ended up being two things

1 ignition control module

2 o2 sensor

your car has a built in diagnostic system and if teh o2 sensor is shot it will shut it right off so i would try that be fore lal this other bull shit ya kno