Pictures of my "mini" TGP

mannix

I've always wanted to post these ever since I finished building the model around 1996. 10 years, and 3 kids later, I finally get to post them on-line. Actually, Jeff Middaugh stopped by my house on the way from picking up a TGP back in 96, and took some pictures of this little guy back then as well. I thank Mr. Jeff, as many a time he helped me put my TGP back on the road from time to time. This is the Revell Turbo Grand Prix model, which took me about 2 years to complete. Alot of the parts had to be redone, from the removal of the original coolant tank, re-done original air filter, re-done rear tail-lights with clear and amber bottom inserts, hollowed out exhaust tips, black trimmed glass, button on radio, dash and console, and fully lined interior roof, moonroof (model did not have opening or glass), and alot too many to mention. Also, bought some same scale BBS wheels, and made them pivot so they can be posed with the wheels turned. I've been wanting to post these to some car modeling magazine, but I think I've finally found some time to do that. Just wanted to share these with the rest of you, hopefully one of these days, I'll get the extra model kit out and do the RED one.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Thanks!! The rims were actually from a Tamiya (spelling?) wheel/tire kit I found at a hobby shop. Fit better than the ones in the box, plus you can actually see thru the wheels with these.

I still need to build mine, I have 2 of them and planned on either red & black duo, or building one, and leaving the other un-opened.

I also have like 20 other models in the closet to build, so it's a slow process.

Ebay is still the only place to find these. I've seen one at my local hobby shop, I'll find out it's still available if anyone's interested. I keep both TGP's away from the elements, one under glass and the other in the garage, and I'm glad I finally got to show it off. Thanks for all the compliments, hopefully I'll try to get my car published in some hobby car collecting magazine... we'll see :biggrin:. A few more pictures, this time showing a blue 91' TGP next to the 90' TGP.

Oops, it's a 91' GTP. Building that model made me a fan of the W-Body cars, first buying the 89' Grand Prix LE, and then 2 years later trading it in for the 90' Turbo Grand Prix.

Damn, that's really impressive! It's no wonder that took 2yrs! If I went to that level of detail, it'd probably take me a decade. :lol:

I actually have 2 of those TGP kits, they've been sitting in my closet for the past 6yrs!

got both mine in the mail today from Invasion 1.

wow, got new respect for the one mannix built.

where did you get the sunroof? did you have to cut out that hole and custom make one? your steering wheel looks WAY more detailed than mine.

I like how the interior needs painted, so I can paint mine gray. dont like the way the panels say "grand prix se". looks like those letters need sanded off before painted, that way the decals stick better right there.

The moonroof had to be cutout, and took a while to perfect. Once I figured out the dimensions, drilled out the four corners and cut out the rectangular piece. The window itself was from a cd jewel case, and fitted it to the cutout. Also had to sand down the GP SE lettering, and the sticker should work. On the one I built, the turbo emblems were done with heavy guage aluminum foil, rubbed over the plenum where TURBO is shown. It created a relief, and filled the opposite side with glue (so it won't collapse), and cut it to fit. The steering wheel controls were also sanded down, and using a sharp hobby knife, outlined each button. So, are you building both the Red and Black one..?