Failed Illinois Emissions!! Final test 10-20-06!!!

mannix

I've had my TGP for about 13years now. The problem started when I took my car for the initial test about 2 months ago. It failed the CO test, mine read 0.86 and passing should have been 0.80. I took it to my local repair shop, since i've had good expierence with in the last few years. They ran a few tests and said I needed a new catalytic converter, new fuel filter, and new gas tank since mine was starting to leak. Paid $500 and took the re-test, and failed. This time the reading was somewhere around 1.60 on the CO. On the way back to my house, the car did not want to accelerate, as if it was being choked. Took it back and rediagnosed it, and said it needed 2 new injectors. Took bout a month to save up and purchase. Took it back to the shop, did the repairs, and voila!!, it FAILED again!!! This time the reading was 7.2 or something like that. CHecked the average economy, and it's average about 7.5 mpg. I left back with them, and they don't know what could be causing this problem.... One of the mechanics gave me a ride back home in my own car, and while it was pulling away, it almost sounds like a big vacuum cleaner. I've checked all the vacuum hoses that normally get disconnected, but they look ok. No service engine light, and idle is perfect. What gives?? And the big problem now, is I ran out of money, for any major repairs, and my deadline for the Illinois emissions is October 20th, which they will suspend both my license and plates. Don't know what to do.

the little rubber coupling all dry out. might as well get a vacuum harness from GM and replace all the other couplings with vacu-tite fittings. and get blue silicone couplers for the TB and IC. guaranteed results.

Change plugs and wires...

You would be suprised how much those affect these cars...

I have seen a HUGE change from just those....

Mine recently passed with emissions readings of ZERO on BOTH tests....so yeah, it should have no problem at all passing.

You should qualify for test waiver on account of how much you've spent on repairs for this problem, and were unsuccesfull at curing it. There should be some details on the test notifications, or the forms that the repair shop had to fill out for the emissions facility.

You should qualify for test waiver on account of how much you've spent on repairs for this problem, and were unsuccesfull at curing it. There should be some details on the test notifications, or the forms that the repair shop had to fill out for the emissions facility.

yeah thats what they did for me when i failed a few years ago.

After the test, the test facility looked at all the receipts and the total ($800) has exceeded the $450 minimum in repairs. But I still had to pass one of the requirements, and that is where the vehicle had to make some improvment over the last test. But with every test, it got worse. So they won't give me a waiver for that reason. Let me know if your waiver had this requirement.

The guys in the shop test the exhaust under idle, and it reads great. But whenever the accelerator is pressed the readings go out the roof. Another problem I noticed is when you press the gas pedal, it hessitates alot, and then the engine catches up and makes the engine/car lunge forward, but does speed up like it used to. It almost sounds like it's not getting air. It has a clean K&N filter. I'll let the shop know to replace the plugs and wires, but those are not too old.....

Don't know, I'm running out of time, it's not looking good. If I have to make even more repairs, or something else goes wrong, it might be time to give it up. I'll let you all know what happens.

Lansing, Illinois

64,000 original miles

Did you check the EGR at all? I know over time those will get clogged with carbon and the car wont run as good. Take off the EGR, and look at the port on the plenum. What I usually do to clean it is get a clothes hanger and some intake cleaner. about 30 minutes later ( this stuff is like a rock ) youll be good.

Yea, check your EGR. Those clog like a MOFO. Which with the readings your giving, sounds like the EGR system is clogged or fuxored. Is it a OEM O2 sensor? or some aftermarket thing? If aftermarket, go back to OEM. I have had much better readings with it, than those other ones. Also, when they did the injectors, did they replace all of them, or just the 2?

Good news!! Shop found the problem, was a bad ignition coil. After the repair, they took it to the testing facility, and it passed. Next test is in 2008. Thanks for your advice, as I kept calling the shop every time I saw a post with another thing they could check.

Emission Testing, What's that?? :lol: Long live central Ohio's lack of caring about the environment

And long live Minnesota's lack of care, also!

Only the immediate Chicagoland and St. Louis areas have to have emissions testing. If you go so much as 30 minutes south or west from where I live, you're emissions exempt. I registered my turbos to my sister's school address in Macomb, which is not in the testing area.

By the way, mannix, you should come out to the next Northern IL meet! It would be great to have another TGP there! Look in the events section.

I'll keep an eye out for the next meet. I tell ya, it's been "years" since I've another TGP around here in Lansing, IL, (about 24 miles south of downtown Chicago) or even the Chicagoland area.

I'll keep an eye out for the next meet. I tell ya, it's been "years" since I've another TGP around here in Lansing, IL, (about 24 miles south of downtown Chicago) or even the Chicagoland area.

there is a beutiful red one at my school...i thought it was immacutalte

Just a thought...when they changed the plugs, did they use platinum plugs?

Yea, they replaced all six with Bosch Platinum. I've used platinum plugs for about 6 years now. Back in the mid 90's i had those Splitfire plugs, and I had alot of problems with injectors failing.

Bosch plugs dont work right in our cars, look up waist ignition systems, they just dont last.

plat plugs are not designed for boosted applications. my suggestion is either delco or NGK non plat plugs, should notice a world of difference in mpg and driveability.