wider tire better?

Nick1234

I was thinking. I possibly want to go with a 225 instead of a 215. First, you get better traction dry, but is the same true for wet. Is there a better chance of hydroplaing with a wider tire. And in the snow, the tire won't dig in as much, it will just slide on the top. Am i better off with the 215s.

Personally, I dont think 10mm of tread is going to make much of a difference. But if you want to get technical, 20mm but still thats less than 1inch. Honestly, I would just go by cost, whatever is cheaper.

technically, there won't be any better traction just from going to a bigger size. Cornering is one thing (by a little) you're better off getting a better tire over a slightly bigger size. However 225 is a common width for w-cars so you may as well go for it.

How about this: What is your current size of both wheel AND tire?

Then we can pick a tire that fits your wheel, AND is the same overall diameter as stock (thus correcting your speedomter and odometer).

So............... :wink:

Also, as far as dry/wet/snow traction is concerned, the tire DESIGN is far more important than width (although it DOES make a difference).

More width will typically help dry/wet traction and cornering, sometimes negligable depending on how much wider you go. BUT, in snow skinnier is better, in fact I keep a set of rims with snow tires on them and they're one size skinnier than stock even, just have to remember to make up for it with the profile.

I couldn't tell any difference between my 205/70/15 (winter rims), and my stock 225/60/16s in the snow. They're both all season tires, the 225s are maybe a bit better at cornering that is all.

Wider is Better .... maybe .... my original tires were 215/60-16 , I got 225/60-16's I replaced the last set with a different tire brand and they were at least an 2" narrower than those they were replacing :eek: , I noticed it when the old and the new were on the floor side by side ... So it's more of a brand size difference too .... oh the new ones don't rub on the rear when I got peeps in the car .... :rolleyes:

technically, there won't be any better traction just from going to a bigger size. Cornering is one thing (by a little) you're better off getting a better tire over a slightly bigger size. However 225 is a common width for w-cars so you may as well go for it.

Well, let's say you're at the track; wouldn't a 255 be better than a 245? I mean especially when you let some psi out of it I mean more area to grab the pavement.

I run 245/45R17's in the summer and 215/60R16 in the winter...and well, my car doesn't hydroplane unless you're being stupid. I'm sure the increased tread depth on my 215's is what helps the snow traction. The steering response with my 245's is amazing compared to the 215's though.

Serisouly, the stock tire size is plenty enough tread for these cars. Most* people here do not need anything more because of the engine being stock. You get a good track with good compound, a normal everyday tire would grip it. I mean track compound + 215 + like 200hp ( for others than me ) your not going to spin the tires. Unless the weather sucks and the track is slick, but even then I doubt it. Even for auto-x, I still believe the stock tire size is fine ( 215 ) as long as your suspension can handle it. I just think some of you guys are going tooo far with tire sizes IMHO

Well, let's say you're at the track; wouldn't a 255 be better than a 245? I mean especially when you let some psi out of it I mean more area to grab the pavement.

without really getting into the technical details, it's a friction equation basically states that traction between a skinny tire and a wide tire would be the same, except in the real world there are some variables, plus the skinny tire would heat up much quicker and fail in that sense. At least that's what I remember.

well i ended up get 225s, I got kumhos, touring a/s 795s. 291 for a total. $68 a piece

good deal! Kumhos are consider to be excellent tires.... I 've not rolled on them, but I have a friend who stands by them. I personnally prefer the 225s myself.

and brian.... your avatar scares me!