3.1MPFI not so happy (Fixed!!12/04/06)

ns87

This car has officially kicked my ass and my wallet's.

I wound up replacing for the right or wrong of it

-Plugs

-Wires

-ICM

-New Exaust front and back (stupidly brought it to shop without welder)

-Fuel Pump AGAIN

Apparently my pump was installed incorrectly 2 years ago according to my current mechanic. It was on a slight angle and that stressed it to burn out? Is this possible? My fuel filter on backwards didn't help. Either way, this car is my DD again after 2 long months!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I am sorry, this must be the 5 millionth stalling thread but I searched and couldn't find anything exact

2) Within the past two years, this has been replaced:

-TPS

-All 6 fuel injectors

-Fuel Pump

-Fuel Filter (yesterday)

-ECM

Once the car warms up, it idle hunts, misses while accelerating in low rpms. At traffic lights 6/10 times it will stall unless I put in neutral and revv. Never stalls while driving at any speed. I am thinking to replace ICM or Coil Packs. But I can't do it myself. I will have a shop do it, so I'd like to figure out which to replace. O2 sensor maybe? Mine looks original. Would this have to do with certain things operating in open loop versus the closed loop? There are no check engines codes...and it still feels like a fuel related problem I had 2 years ago with the injectors. Could they have gone bad again? Just like my problems before, it is inconsistant with NO check engine codes . *edit* I am 100% it is not transmission related bc it does the same thing while in park or neutral.

Thank you for reading

I am putting my money on the idle air control valve. I am feeling pretty confident about this too. I think if its the ICM or coil packs you would have problems at all rpms and while driving. Take the IAC out of the throttle body and and push the valve back in with your thumb. I had the same problems you described and once I replaced the IAC all was well. Also check the o-ring around the valve. You might also want to clean out the throttle body where the valve goes in.

Like they said, it could be a vacuum leak.

However, it could be the fuel pressure regulator leaking. While the engine is running, pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is any traces of fuel and if so then the fuel pressure regulator needs replacement.

You can try spraying some throttle body around the intake gaskets and see if there is any change in the idle and if the idle changes when you spray a certain area of the intake gaskets or manifold area then that could be where the leak is.

Damnit, well now my car runs crappy 24/7 instead of just after warming up. It stalls more in reverse than any other gear, but I'm still pretty confident this isn't transmission related as its crappy at idle in neutral/park too. Im going to try this stuff this weekend, in my school parking lot lol. Ok, heres my responses:

GP1138: If none of the above work, then I will deff try the ICM/Coil packs....Want to try the cheapest alternatives first. Even if this stuff isn't broken, I'm sure it'll go sooner or later lol

Slade901: Where be the fuel pressure regulator? Is the vac line at the same part I was describing to Brian P? I hope it isn't, I'm sick and tired of replacing things on the fuckin fuel system.

Hairdo: Would the IAC not throw up a code? I've never messed around near the throttle body before. Easy to do? Wtf does the IAC look like? I shall search more on this as well.

Brian P: Actually I did think about the vacuum leak. Theres a part...I need to get a pic of it, but its near where the airbox big tube attaches to the engine...(I only speak in technical langauge lol). Some asshole before me used this goopy stuff to keep the 3 vacuum lines in it, and they do pop out a little easily. I know one runs to the MAP sensor, and that popped out once. I did try fooling with them, plugging them with my finger etc. Nothing changed.

BTW, my vac lines are all really hard, shiny plastic. Should they be like this or rubber? I had a bad mechanic 2 years ago that really fucked up the vac system. He must have broken something, after he took it apart my cruise/vents never worked again. I replaced the check valve and checked the routing/vac ball and everything. Anyone in NY wanna come help me fix my car?~~~ LOL I need a w-body expert

Couple ideas to chew on:

1. I think the others are on the right track with the IAC motor, if that is dirty or faulty it will cause a poor idle, and dying. Try pulling it out and cleaning it

2. could be a vacuum leak, but would have to be a very LARGE vacuum leak to cause a dying issue

3. It is showing many symptoms of an EGR valve sticking open. might also try cleaning that, as a new one is an expensive part to shotgun at the car in hopes of fixing. A shop with a scanner can monitor the EGR functions to tell if it is opening/closing correctly.

Try these things in order, as they go from easiest to hardest.

Damnit, well now my car runs crappy 24/7 instead of just after warming up. It stalls more in reverse than any other gear, but I'm still pretty confident this isn't transmission related as its crappy at idle in neutral/park too. Im going to try this stuff this weekend, in my school parking lot lol. Ok, heres my responses:

GP1138: If none of the above work, then I will deff try the ICM/Coil packs....Want to try the cheapest alternatives first. Even if this stuff isn't broken, I'm sure it'll go sooner or later lol

Slade901: Where be the fuel pressure regulator? Is the vac line at the same part I was describing to Brian P? I hope it isn't, I'm sick and tired of replacing things on the fuckin fuel system.

Hairdo: Would the IAC not throw up a code? I've never messed around near the throttle body before. Easy to do? Wtf does the IAC look like? I shall search more on this as well.

Brian P: Actually I did think about the vacuum leak. Theres a part...I need to get a pic of it, but its near where the airbox big tube attaches to the engine...(I only speak in technical langauge lol). Some asshole before me used this goopy stuff to keep the 3 vacuum lines in it, and they do pop out a little easily. I know one runs to the MAP sensor, and that popped out once. I did try fooling with them, plugging them with my finger etc. Nothing changed.

BTW, my vac lines are all really hard, shiny plastic. Should they be like this or rubber? I had a bad mechanic 2 years ago that really fucked up the vac system. He must have broken something, after he took it apart my cruise/vents never worked again. I replaced the check valve and checked the routing/vac ball and everything. Anyone in NY wanna come help me fix my car?~~~ LOL I need a w-body expert

What part of NY again? Tell ya what, I might be headed up there in a month or 2, if you're still having an issue I'll be happy to take a look at it. I've been around more 3.1 MPFI's than I really needed to.

Brian P: That would be awesome, I hope you have a new trans for the wonder 3400. Its in Oneonta...which is about hour and half southwest of Albany. If you're anywhere near there, I'd love to meet up. I know we have a few members up in the Albany area...keep me posted that would be sweet

It never threw a check engine for me. And the performance of the motor got worse as the valve failed more. If you replace, try a jy one first... you can easily pocket one or pay 3-5 bucks for it. You will need to do an idle relearn after replacing this.

Does it still run fine when you press the accelerator?

Red arrow is the IAC

Also take this plate off and clean the carbon out (Green arrow) might need a new gasket set for this ($5-7)

Engine013.jpg

Larger picture:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/hairdo12/Engine013A.jpg

Brian P: That would be awesome, I hope you have a new trans for the wonder 3400. Its in Oneonta...which is about hour and half southwest of Albany. If you're anywhere near there, I'd love to meet up. I know we have a few members up in the Albany area...keep me posted that would be sweet

south of albany is easy. The tranny is already assembled and in, I want it running this week, and sometime eventually want to take it on a long drive. I'll let you know!

I know this sounds dumb, but what do I clean it with :redface:? I decided I'll also do the top end cleaner Friday too. I hope I create a huge cloud of smoke~

Hairdo: Mine has been getting progressively worse. When I used to give it gas, it would perform fine. Now its just shit all the time. It also has backfired a few times in reverse...the closest jy is an hour away, so maybe I should just buy a new one if I can't clean it? My first paycheck is Friday, so of course naturally it will be completely used :rolleyes:

Brian P: Mapquest Oneonta, NY. We're not quite south of Albany. I'll deff drive to meet ya though

?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%2451%2drs1r72%26%3dts%216z5167%3a90%40w5y2n9%401%26h6aa0z%24nuy1adw%24n9r7%7c9%4022u6%2a%3al6t5%26%40%24%3a%26wa%26q4agu6%24%2e04%402gwa2u%40%24%3a9w72%210%2a%3agz7n%26%40&rnd=6439

sry its big, damn mapquest

I cleaned the IAC today and Seafoamed. The IAC was kinda dirty, but nothing spectacular. I think more and more its the Coilpacks as the miss has gotten more consistant (so has the stalling). My heatshield for my catalytic convertor fell off today.

After WOT, my car idles nicely for about 10 seconds. I am also starting to think it might be a plugged Cat. When I undercoated, I took care not to spray the cat, but maybe things got in it anyway? Either way I don't have enough money to replace anything, so I'm borrowing my friends car for the week. I may ask my parents to help me out if it gets any worse.

Ok, the first coil pack on the right only had one cyl firing. I stupidly replaced it, and the new one does the same thing....so it's the ICM correct? Just to be clear, I removed the spark plug wire and watched for a spark. I dont remember the cyl number, but the left hand one on the furthest right coil pack does not fire.

Just need a confirmation tonight since tomrrow I NEED to have this fixed.

Buy the ICM and coipacks as one unit from a wrecker...I did that when working on a Park Avenue with similar symptoms....it was easier to put the wrecker's part in as a whole unit then it was to diagnose what part (coils or ICM) were bad....especially if you don't have much time to throw parts at it...

i have a pontiac grand prix with a 3.4, my ICM went bad and stop firing on 2 cylindars i replaced the coil packs and still had the problem. i took the ICM off and you can get it tested at most auto part stores, DONT TRUST THEM!!! mine passed the test, but i went to the local junk yard and got one, stuck it on and have had no problems since

:-/ After all day today of replacing the ICM, it ran perfectly....for 10 minutes. In fact, I never saw it run so beautifuly. After the ten minutes were the worst I've ever seen my car run in its life. #6 spark plug wire is broken on the inside, I need to replace that. But it doesn't explain the terrible misfire and inability to idle. I also noticed that this black line (pointed in blue) would vibrate loudly after every time the car stalled or was started. My car also smells like pure gasoline (not leaking anywhere). Is that the EGR? Maybe the IAC is bad afterall?

Fri, I will have access to a jy again and I will pocket an IAC.

This is frustrating me. I can't afford a new car, and I've spent my past 2 weeks of paychecks on trying to fix this one :willynilly:

Engine013.jpg

Normally when your car smells like pure gas, it means its not getting burned in the cylinder. Hence a misfire. So get a brand new wire set. Dont just replace the one. And that one line I believe is a vaccum line, and if its broken this would explain why its not even able to idle correctly

the IAC valve is suppose to move. It should move somewhat easily. When they get carbon depsoits from the EGR they get stuck. Just buy a new IAC, dont mess around trying to fix something that wont work.

Thanks Jay. I shall do that as soon as I get back to Poughkeepsie. Also another update...

Old Coil Pack + Old ICM = No Spark on cyl 2 after warming up

New Coil Pack + Old ICM = No Spark on cyl 2 after warming up

Old Coil Pack + New ICM = No Spark on cyl 2 after warming up

What controls the ICM? I don't think I need to put the new coil pack on the new icm as its the same problem as before.

Not to mention my car takes about 4 starts after sitting a long while (fuel pressure regulator?)

Thank you all! I'm sry this is so scrambled, but I'm posting as this shit is happening.

*edit* So much is running through my head. I can rule out any gasket leaking bc it wouldn't have a terrible idle only after the first 5 minutes? The first five minutes are orgasmic for how good they are. I really am thinking ECM? Mine is a reman from 2 years ago. I want to figure out why one cyl doesn't fire before I try other things I guess.