Electronic Rust Proofing??

1990lumina

We sell these "rust modules" at work... I'm not sure how much they cost nor do I have any evidence of them working. My boss (used car manager) thinks they're a scam. I dunno...

These "anti-rust" modules operate my sending small electric currents through the metal surfaces of the car. In theory, the small, constant current will significantly slow the metal's oxidation over time, thus reducing rust accumulation.

According to my wife (the materials/chemical geek) :), these modules do work technically, but they would only be truly effective if they were ramped up to a much higher voltage, which of course would not be safe for humans to be exposed to.

Yeah, figures they aren't powerful enough. If they were, they'd drain your battery in a hurry.

It's CRAZY how many people buy them for their new (and sometimes used) cars! And then they get them undercoated too! Like WTF is the point then if they are suppose to work??? :lol:

They are a scam.

Actually, you can ramp the voltage to whatever you want, it won't work.

This is a cathodic protection device. It's a great theory, and works great, but only if the metal being protected is part of an electrochemical cell. Basically, it ONLY works if the metal being protected AND the sacrificial anode are in contact with the same body of water.

If you happen to park your car in the sea or a lake, it just might work for you. On land, it'll do nothing.

oil/waxed based undercoating is the only proven effective way of preventing rust on a daily driven winter car. Downside- it's messy, can't protect 100% of the car, and needs to be done every year (or at least every other year).