300HP HM282

soccrplayrgtp

What does a 282 need to hold 300HP??? What would the clutch rate the tranny to hold after its in?? 230? Now what does it need?? Input shaft bearing strengthening? HELP

As far as i know the only thing you can do is replace the clutch. They also sell bearings that go in place of the axel seals, supposidly helps the diff bearings last longer.

if you talk to the guys at RSM

they say that a center force dual friction kit would allow that tranny to hold up to 400HP

But who knows if they are right

yeah but the entire tranny cant hold the 300HP stock. so once the clutch prob is fixed then whats next on the "FUCK YOU" (breaking) list?? Can I send parts out to be frozen (strengthened)? But then again what parts..

a stock 282 with sometimes a dual disc clutch behind lt1 motors and such in fiero's, the only thing I have heard of is the case cracking. I have seen the internals on this thing and it would take a great deal of power to even think about breaking them.

Guest TurboSedan
a stock 282 with sometimes a dual disc clutch behind lt1 motors and such in fiero's, the only thing I have heard of is the case cracking. I have seen the internals on this thing and it would take a great deal of power to even think about breaking them.

ugh. this thread comes up and now my throwout bearing is starting to make more noise. i *think* it's my TO bearing anyway... it's a slight rattling that goes away when the clutch is pushed in. it used to only happen at idle in neutral but now i can hear it while i drive too :( i need to quit racing people till i get the turbo in there and a better clutch. and yeah my case has some slight cracking but in the 30,000 miles i've put on it i haven't noticed any ill effects from it.

joshua

check out the guys over at the board on http://www.fiero.nl throw at that tranny. There are a ton of small block guys with built engines that use that tranny and they don't blow up...at least not right away. :D From what I've seen over at fiero.nl there really shouldn't be a problem with the 282 holding 300 lbs of torque. I plan on converting my new TGP to stick sometime this summer, and I have found a nice clutch that comes recommeded by a lot of different people with a lot of different makes. Check out http://www.speclutches.com I plan on going stage III, because I've seen a couple TGP dyno sheets that have 270 or so ft lbs at the wheels, which equates to more than 310 at the flywheel. It also comes recommened from a decent amount of fiero guys. Do not buy a centerforce as I've heard way too much bad stuff about them(customer service) and their clutches.

I've seen cracked cases as well, and it's basically from the differential bearing being beat and the differential twists and put a lot more stress on the housing. I've heard though that the shaft that W-bodies use to extend the housing so that we have equal length halfshafts also aids in strengthening, but who knows.

Check out what this guy threw at the 282 and the tranny is still in one piece: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/025173.html

yeah I have been keeping close tabs on th fiero guys lately....HEHEHE I think Stage III would be the best decision for me with the lightweight option I believe, but I want to know if they are under 16lbs flywheels or if its just the clutch option- anyone know?