Engine Swap From 3100-3400?

95oldsVan

My local salvage yard has a 2 complete 3400 engines,and Im thinking about buying one of them to put into my 97 GP with the 3100 engine.One is from a 2002 grand am and the other is from a 2000 Pontiac Montana.both engines If I recall,have around 60-70K miles.

The engine(s) is mostly complete,minus the starter/flywheel(unless you request it) and accessory drives.Does have the complete intake,fuel rails,sensors etc.The guy said the exhaust manifolds are there too.

Does anyone know if I can do a complete switch and just plug and play the rest?

Im guessing the ecm may need to be porgrammed for the 3400 engine,but the 3100 uses a MAF so I assumed it may work Ok with the 3100 engine ecm program.

Im looking for any ideas or suggestions,advice.Im gonna pull the leaky 3100 out to remove the trans to get the trans fixed,and was playing with the idea to upgrade the engine to give it a little more power under there.

I know I can do a 3.8 supercharged swap and etc but not looking to do that route on this car.Just trying to make it a stronger reliable daily driver.The prices I got were very good too,so it wont cost me much to do it all.

:cool:

Thanks everyone! I just read alot from that link and it sounds very doable and easy.Just wanted to get the basics covered and can go from there.I didnt even know that link existed...and appreciate it!

:biggrin:

Thanks everyone! I just read alot from that link and it sounds very doable and easy.Just wanted to get the basics covered and can go from there.I didnt even know that link existed...and appreciate it!

:biggrin:

It's definately not a hard swap to do. It can be done in a weekend if you prepare everything.

Get the Montana engine. It's more powerful.

I noticed the Chevy Venture and Montana engines have 185 HP while the other GM cars have about 170-175...whats the real reason for it?

Is it all exhaust or is it internal,such as the cam or etc?

Just curious...my bet is the exhaust manifolds are larger on the vans...but not sure.

Get the Montana engine. It's more powerful.

I noticed the Chevy Venture and Montana engines have 185 HP while the other GM cars have about 170-175...whats the real reason for it?

Is it all exhaust or is it internal,such as the cam or etc?

Just curious...my bet is the exhaust manifolds are larger on the vans...but not sure.

That and the throttle body. The N-bodies have a 52mm TB while the vans are 56mm, that has to account for something. I'd take the van one too since the front timing cover should be compatible with the w-body (no side engine mount like in the N-body). Also, if you find a computer from a '96-97 minivan, it will work great in your car. 4T60e, 3400, OBD2, the connections should be identical. It's what I'll be running shortly.

Cool,thats good info to know and think about.Didnt know they put large TB's on the van engines,even if its not a huge size difference.

The ecm idea sounds good...the salvage yards should have them cheap,if theyre not bad or anything.

:cool:

the other option is maybe the dealer can reflash your '96 computer with whatever car/van you want it for, but I think it costs more to do that than just grab one at a salvage yard.

I'm pretty certain ALL LA1's got 56mm TB's. LG8's (2000+ 3100's) still have the smaller TB's, but not the 3400's.

Also, while there ARE intake and exhaust routing differences between all the 3400 equiped cars/vans, and likely some mild PCM tweaks (most changes here are shiftpoints and stuff to account for the different gearing and tire sizes across the various platforms), I think the biggest reason fro power ranging from 170-185hp and torque from 195-210lb/ft has to do with GM playing the "ratings game"..................think about it..........do you REALLY think there is a 15hp difference here? Trust me.......look under a van, and then at an N-Body and the exhaust is equally crappy on both..........same thing on the intake side.

Etc..........