89 to 91

Guest Anonymous

The A/C circuits. Im pretty sure, that 88-90 A/C is different from 91+. Also, those with a manual tranny 88-90, had an AIR pump on the rear exhaust manifold

Robby

91 Intake plenum uses different, rubber sleeved bolts, and consequently the bolts themselves are thinner, so the holes lower intake are smaller (derp)....also believe it or not, the block is slightly different in the lifter valley area. It's been slightly recast for strength....what else....the power steering pump pulley is plastic on the 91

well, as I see it, either way you got to pull the engine out, bearings are cheap, so just rebuild the '89. That'd be my route, unless of course the '91 engine has under 120k and costs next to nothing, but then again if I was going to do that, I should just rebuild the '89 with higher compression pistons....aah!

Guest Anonymous

I already have the '91 motor. I also have a '90. The '91 blew a head gasket or intake gasket. Haven't torn it down yet so I'm not sure. The '90 is in the 4-door I bought which I'm bringing home this week. I know it runs. Just needs a waterpump. I didn't want to pull that motor out cause I planned on doing the body work and putting it on the road. That's probably what I'll end up doing though. Is the '90 the same as the '89? Or is it like the '91? I know it also has a digital EGR.

Well the '90 has the different PCV system like the 91 does (Plenum), the 90 uses the 88-89 style plenum bolts and gaskets.

Tear that '91 down and make sure that coolant didn't get to the cylinders and mess the bore.

Guest Anonymous

What exactly do you mean by different PCV system? I was hoping I could just swap plenum's (dig. to vacuum egr) and it'd be plug and play.

I plan on tearing the 91 down and seeing what's up with it.

you mean switch the plenum that will be IN the car? Well put it like this, 90+ has the PCV line from the check valve going into the bottom of the plenum; 2.8's and 89 3.1's have the PCV going from check valve to LOWER intake manifold

Guest Anonymous

Well that will make it even easier. I wasn't sure if the mounting was layed out different on the digital egr or not. Now I don't have to check it myself. Thanks.